This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WON's Last Call

If Valve is sticking to its plans, WON is seeing the beginning of its end today. WON had served as the primary Half-Life authentication backbone until the release of Steam last September. WON was originally created by Sierra to handle multiplayer gaming for the world's largest PC game publisher at the time. Sierra was bought out by Vivendi, publishers of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and Half-Life 2.

Many players unhappy with CS 1.6 or Steam had decided to continue playing Counter-Strike 1.5 on WON over the past ten months. Valve, meanwhile, promised to keep WON operating "until the Steam service is working the way it was intended to." An attack on the Steam servers yesterday caused at least five hours of downtime.

Players affected by the WON shutdown should install Steam to continue playing Valve's online titles.

RIP won, i never liked you anyway.

Comment

I liked WON, but it was a bit clumsy.

Comment

Farewell WON.

Comment

I remembered when won stopped giving me server lists for 3 hours at times. I still had lots of fun with won though.

Comment

Muahaha losers. WON was stupid, and the theory of Steam is great. I think it would be cool if Valve implemented the bittorrent protocol (saving server bandwidth, and then having a few dedicated seeds) or a similar P2P system.

Comment

ahh good ol' won, not exactly my fav, but i started there..

Comment

Thank god this isnt recieving comments of "finally, jesus christ you whiney b**ches finlly have to switch to the all-mighty Steam"....

Let's just keep in mind that WON was what we all grew up on, what we all used to hone the skills we cherish today. RIP WON. Like all great things, you have come to an end. You will be remembered.

<3

*edit*

Ooop... looks like I spoke too soon. Congrats, DocUK... you are an ass spelunker.

Comment

Won was ok, but now with steam my maps download quickly, so I don't have to go searching the web for map downloads.

Comment

Tis a sad day, but not really. cu won

Comment

Counter-Strike 1.5 for Steam http://www.cs15.net/ *yay* ^^

Comment

i just cant wait till steam dies, no more bugs, no more flamers, no more countless 'omg wtf happened to my cd k3y?!?!?1 i only had cust0m skins!!!1'

Comment

Hopefully this means for servers for Steam.

Comment

finally

Comment

If this is the way Steam is supposed to be, I dont even want to use it. Its still plenty buggy, and as we saw yesterday vunerable to any kind of attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X