This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike Dialect

E-Sports Entertainment Association has released a short read regarding American and European dialects. It addresses the general differences and is definitely interesting to see the contrast.
    Other notable differences are how spots are called in various maps. For example in de_nuke, "outside" is sometimes referred to as the "yard", the "garage" maybe called the "warehouse" or "yard house", the "hut" is known as the "yellow house", and lastly "rafters" is called the "catwalk".
    Now get off those rafters and regress back to the yellow house, but remember not to step on the yard. Click here to read it all.

neat.

Comment

I think the Europeans need to get out more often. They have no real clue what things are in the real world.

There is a difference between rafters and a catwalk. A garage and a warehouse.

Comment

www.esports.com != www.esportsea.com

Comment

There's no garage in nuke! Who are these people?

Oh, and a Pug is a dog with a squashed face.

Comment

No need to start a slanging match about how people speak.

I for one, found this interesting. Nice find

Comment

Buddah wrote..

I think the Europeans need to get out more often. They have no real clue what things are in the real world.
              Last time I looked, all the best writers were those from the uk, who actually had a grasp of the knowledge of langauge, JRR Tolkien, Mary Shelley, The Bronte Sisters, William Shakespeare, JK Rowling, William Wordsworth.... I could go on for an eternity. There are only a handful of half decent Americans with a concept of what makes a great literary work.

As for the other inaccuraces, look at a dictionary:

Rafter = One of the sloping beams that supports a pitched roof.

-----------------------------------------------
              ---------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old English ræfter.]

warehouse =

ware·house ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wârhous)

n.

A place in which goods or merchandise are stored; a storehouse.

A large, usually wholesale shop.

tr.v. ware·housed, ware·hous·ing, ware·hous·es (also -houz)

To place or store in a warehouse, especially in a bonded or government warehouse.

at least research these words befor you come storming in you american retard....

Comment

What I want to know is what people around the world call campers and newbies?

Comment

We Americans have great authors too! Here's one of them.

Comment

I do not deny there are a few good american authors, take Michael Moore for instance, it's just the fact this guy storms in thinking he is correct.. all he had to do was read an english dictionary.

Comment

Buddah wrote..

There is a difference between rafters and a catwalk. A garage and a warehouse.
                      You just showed how ignorant you are. I call outside: outside, and rafters: rafters.

Oh, yellow house? WTF? I've not once heard that said, nor have I head anyone say yard, or yard house, or even warehouse for that matter. The person posting that news item was correct with the terms used for clan wars, gathers, mixes and stuff, but he should have stopped there. After that it just get's stupid, and I think he heard some Polish clan say "yellow house!", and just assumed that those terms are widely used in the european CS community.

Comment

masterren wrote..

We Americans have great authors too! Here's one of them.
                        omg...the suspect is described as a black male..

(fans of mr moore's work will know what i mean )

Comment

I think you might find "England" the people who invented "Enlgish" might have a better grasp of the language than an American who just stole the language and put an extremely annoying accent on it.

You laugh at us when we say lorry instead of truck... please look them up in an English dictionary.

Also, you might realise that Europe has many languages other than English, just a point, so this article has no comparant meaning.

Comment

Working...
                          X