This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAC Beta Module Update

VALVe has put out a new beta security module for Counter-Strike today. VALVe's Eric Smith sent this message, which includes a reminder about the Linux server beta, to the HLDS mailing list today:

update: According to Eric Smith this security module does NOT contain the wallhack code.[break="Read the entire message from Eric Smith"]
    We've updated the beta security modules again. These beta security modules should fix the problems some Linux servers have been having with clients being able to reconnect after they have been kicked/banned by the security modules.

1) This beta test is only for Counter-Strike servers...not Day of Defeat.

2) The password for the beta security modules is still "vactest", so make sure you have...

-testmodule vactest

...in your command line and restart your server. If you're already running with the beta security module password in your command line, your server should update itself.

3) We haven't heard of any problems with the Linux beta server we released earlier this week. If you haven't already downloaded/installed it, you should consider doing so. This beta version should fix the problems some servers have been experiencing when we update the security modules. The Win32 version *does not* seem to have the same problem.

http://files.valve-erc.com/

login: server_beta

pass: server_beta

filename: hlds_l_3110a_upgrade.tar.gz

engine build: 2147

md5: be4d624f929867993392b70c96cb43dc

files: readme_3110a.txt

engine_i386.so

All you need to do is download the file and replace your old one. It's always a good idea to back-up your old version first. Clients using 1.1.1.0/1.0.0.5 should not have any problems connecting to your server.

Let me know if you have any problems with the beta security modules and we'll look into them right away.

Thanks.

Eric Smith

VALVe
    Thanks to Ritchey007 and Disk2 for pointing this out.

wheee

Comment

yay!

Comment

Still no details. bah

Comment

CAN YOU MAKE SOMETHING SO TO FIND OUT IF PEOPLE HAVE HACKS???? SO LIKE A HACK SCANNER OR SOMETHING!?!?!?!?!?! MAKE THAT SO PEOPLE CAN DOWNLOAD IT!

Comment

There was one included with OGC a while back... but they ended up calling that program itself a cheat if I remember correctly.

OMG UT2K3 IS ALMOST HERE?!#?$?#@@$#

Comment

Thanks to Mr Lugosi keeping us abreast of VAC updates, btw.
              GonePostal wrote..

Still no details. bah
              I assume you mean the hide/view times.

If you have the possibility of drawing the model, it's sent. Otherwise you see it for about a second and then it goes away. This model is not entirely "safe" like HLGuard, but it significantly reduces the power of all wallhacks and ensures that erroneous disappearances will be rare enough to be statistically moot.

I don't see why you want more details. If the model is weak it'll be broken; telling you information so you can give irrelevant predictions doesn't determine or even relate to the success or failure of the updates. So be ignorant. It's far better that way.

Comment

Comment

It lets me and the rest of the community know what kind of job Valve is doing. The fact that they refuse outside help and restrict what can be done with outside help means they better be doing a great job at it.

Comment

YAY. VAC slowly but surely killing off those cheats

Comment

where do i enter it.

Comment

I would post the VAC, but I don't have access rze

HLGuard is the only other addition you can add at the moment.

Comment

On VAC anti-cheat methods...
                          rizzuh wrote..

So be ignorant. It's far better that way.
                          Security by obscurity, anyone?

But to a point, you are right. I trust Valve to do the right thing, and I'm very happy how this VAC thing has turned out. However, getting a great algorithm would be better than.... "shhh... hopefully this works"

Comment

valve is doing a great job, ive only seen one cheater since may. keep it up!

Comment

rizzuh wrote..

So be ignorant. It's far better that way.
                              Agreed. I just hope it cuts out before ppl hit corners. I hate HLgaurd because it keep blocking them when they are in the open when ever I'm on a server using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X