Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3's Executive Producer Talks Beta Reactions and More

From Kotaku.com:

Last week, I attended an all-day Battlefield 3 event in San Francisco. Over the course of the day, I had a chance to try out the game's multiplayer, single-player, and co-op sections. Multiplayer impressions are here, and my take on the single-player missions I played is here.

In addition to playing the game, I had a chance to talk with Battlefield 3's executive producer, Patrick Bach. He was a pleasure to speak with, refreshingly frank about the game's development process, the challenges faced in making an ambitious multiplayer game like Battlefield 3, and even the technical difficulties they were having with the PC version that day. We talked for a while about the public reaction to the beta, which has been mixed.

Kotaku: So, how has it been, hearing some of the negative feedback from the Beta?

Patrick Bach: The only thing we can do is tell people that: "These are the things we have fixed since the beta." And also based on the feedback from the beta. But other than that… you need to let people play it. The problem with having a beta is that you hand out a product that is not done. Deliberately. You do it because you want to get feedback on not only what the players think, but also on how things are holding up, what can we read from the network traffic, how is everything holding up, how are all of the systems that are brand new holding up. You could argue that maybe we shouldn't do a beta."

It's a double-edged sword.

If we don't do [a beta], then we might have problems day one. So the only way to ensure that we have less problems day one is to have a beta. But if you have a beta (laughs) people will hate you, and think that you're stupid.

We get complaints like, "How can you guys miss obvious things like A, B, and C?" And we didn't miss it. We just weren't done with it. But we had to get it out so that we get results back, so we can fix it. The lead time when you do a beta is actually pretty long. You need to go through certification on consoles, and do a lot of things before you get it out. And since you want to get it out on all three platforms at the same time to avoid further whining… (chuckles)… it takes as long as the longest platform certification time.

How long is that?

Around a month and a half. Which means that when we're done with that beta, we say "Okay, this is it. Now let's go back and finish the game." When we got to the point [six weeks later] that we actually released the beta, the game was in completely different shape. We couldn't really tell people because then we'd have to go through the process again.

It sounds like certification hobbles the beta process somewhat.

Yes.

What's a way to make that better in the future?

One way of fixing the problem is… don't make betas. At least not open betas. Because often when you see betas, sometimes they are actually demos. But they call it a beta, to sound cool. This was a real beta, and I don't think people are used to it. They get the product, and they think, "you have to entertain me," because it's an entertainment product.

And it's like, "Well, it's a broken entertainment product, because we want your feedback." And they say, "Well, I understand that, but it's not polished enough!" And we say, "Well, that's exactly what we're talking about!"

So the challenge is: listen, but don't overreact. Understand that people are disappointed, but that you have to do it.

Or, don't do it. Don't make a beta. At least not an open one.

And just do closed testing.

But that's hard as well. We had an alpha as well, that was much worse.

Did any of that leak to the public?

Yes, it always does. And people complain about that as well, but it wasn't as many people. It wasn't such a big hassle. Now, it's a big thing, people make videos of it and we say, "yeah, thank you; we know, we know."

And what you're playing today [at this media event], except for the stability issues, the game doesn't have those issues anymore. It should be more or less 99% mitigated.

Yeah, other than the stability it runs fine. I'm not seeing too many in-game bugs.

But then of course, we do have those stability issues. And other frustrations.

You can read the rest of the interview from the source link below. Some pretty good questions and a little bit of insight as to a beta. Rather you agree with what is being said or think this is an excuse for the problems of the beta, it was very clear in the Battlelog forums that people seemed to have expected a very close to finished product. What are your thoughts on the beta? Hindsight is always great, right?

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

The term "beta" used to imply the very thing this dude is talking about. When I tested Desert Combat, we got testing beta's and all sorts of things were broken. What's the solution? Create an archival system of known bugs in the beta and then put in big red letters when you start the game "NOTE: This is a beta and is therefore not complete. Many things are left unfinished so the CORE of the game can be tested. Before posting bugs, please search the database to ensure that the bug is not already listed in the database." Or just stop calling it a beta. Call it a "buggy unpolished test platform only to test netcode and server load you idiots". People forgot what beta's are. It's not EA's or DICE's fault.

Comment

Re: Battlefield 3's Executive Producer Talks Beta Reactions and More

Originally posted by troybob
      The term "beta" used to imply the very thing this dude is talking about. When I tested Desert Combat, we got testing beta's and all sorts of things were broken. What's the solution? Create an archival system of known bugs in the beta and then put in big red letters when you start the game "NOTE: This is a beta and is therefore not complete. Many things are left unfinished so the CORE of the game can be tested. Before posting bugs, please search the database to ensure that the bug is not already listed in the database." Or just stop calling it a beta. Call it a "buggy unpolished test platform only to test netcode and server load you idiots". People forgot what beta's are. It's not EA's or DICE's fault.
      I blame those who:
      *Used early Beta access to sell preorders and bad games.
      *Did not release a proper Demo
      *Did not maintain a list of known issues
      *Did not include a search tool in their feedback forums
      *Did not allow posting screenshots when reporting errors.

Comment

Perhaps the full interview will already address this, I'm about to read that in a moment. My opinion is, why can't we see the fixes in the beta and therefore beta test the fixes and give our feedback on them? Why wait until retail? What if the fixes don't fix anything? What if you nerf something in response to feedback but then you nerf it too much and it's still out of balance? They want the feedback but they don't give feedback to the feedback. They stonewall the feedback. They say "it's fixed in retail." Well then what the heck are we testing and why? What are we invited to give feedback on, and what are we not invited to give feedback on? Even if they couldn't give out updated betas to test, they could at least have a 'already reported issues' or a more succinct 'known issues' list. Then people could focus their efforts on finding issues that weren't on the list. The beta got bungled in my opinion. We're gonna be 'beta testing' this for awhile after it's actually released...depending on how receptive they are to patching the product quickly and efficiently. And with a cross-platform product that simply takes time, which is annoying, especially as they're delaying the begin of the 'fixing the fixes' process until retail release. They've effectively given up on their own beta.

Comment

No offense, but what are these questions? It's like they purposely asked the most inane questions they could. Does anyone care about anything that was discussed in that interview?

Comment

Yeah, you all hit the nail on the head, except drone as people do care because they ask for betas all the time and fewer and fewer do them.

DICE did not implement this beta well at all. I know that sounds harsh and another criticism, but it wasnt made clear until after the beta was released that all DICE wants are warn bodies to create traffic on their systems and a little bit of feedback.

There was no structure to this beta and it could have been done better with the items Vreki mentioned as well as some control in the forums and a list of known issues so we know what to report and what not to bother with.

Those that posted the same things in the forums over and over after news was released should have been locked with a link pointing to the news. The ignorance of the "community" was astounding and just fed on itself. It could have been easily controlled and improved with moderation.

Same goes with people getting keys early and starting the download process. DICE could have controlled the beta just by keeping Battlelog offline.

Now once all that was done with, everything went fairly well and we even saw improvement toward the end of the beta with better stability and more options/features being turned on. That all went pretty well, for a beta.

Im sure the beta was a success and DICE got what they needed with that many people. I enjoyed it and had a great time trying to figure things out. So it wasnt an entire disaster by any means.

So yeah, I understand where DICE is coming from on this, but they could have avoided a lot of the heartache with a little bit of planning and forthought community-wise.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
              I blame those who:
              *Used early Beta access to sell preorders and bad games.
              *Did not release a proper Demo
              *Did not maintain a list of known issues
              *Did not include a search tool in their feedback forums
              *Did not allow posting screenshots when reporting errors.
              EA then?

Comment

The biggest bad thing from the beta is and was "Metro", i cant even believe they tried to pull that shit map on a BF3 game.I mean it almost killed them and if they never released "Caspian" they would be swimming in a exodus of there own fail right now.Maybe its all a plan to milk us into a COD game or blur the lines between what BF should be and what COD is.I am plain angry about that map,its too pathetic for a BF name.Like some have said the commmunity wasnt set up well and it gives a impression its being rushed or slapped together.Again "Metro" is the worst BF and BC map ive ever seen, even by rush standards.

Comment

Im sorry Rambo, but the fail wouldnt have happened. I mean, check out this qoute from the interview:

What did you think of the reaction to the beta for Bad Company 2? Was that beta feedback the same?

It was the same, just smaller. "It was the worst game ever." So we're used to it, but now it's blown out of proportion because there are I think six times the amount of people playing this beta as we had in Bad Company and it's the same problems. They say the same things: "You're stupid," "We hate you."

And we're like… "Sorry!"
                  DICE expects the comments of "This isnt Battlefield." and "This is CoD" or "This is BC3" and DICE is going to shrug that off because the game/beta we are playing is incomplete and not the entire picture. Not to mention the fact that in every BF game, they made some big changes in it. BF2 was way different from 1942 and Vietnam and way out there was 2142. Yeah, it was a great pr move to release Caspian to the public, but now the feedback became "The jets suck." "The Jets are Overpowered." "The Jets feel fake." "The jets are too hard to control." but the problem is the beta is two months older than the rest of the game, in fact, its probably 2.5 months older now at this point.

So dont think for a minute because you saw the vocal minority in Battlelog ripping the beta that BF3 is doomed. Almost every one of those people are still buying the game. Many of them said so in other posts or in their own post. You seem to think that that was the voice of the community, but its not. Most those people didnt have a clue what they were talking about or were saying whatever to try to get a change their way.

Of course, the same could be said about me. People reading this could be saying that I dont know what I am talking about and I dont have a clue. That may be true, but I will be playing BF3 on release and I will probably be seeing them on as well.

Crunch

Comment

I have to say the worst community award goes to the official BF3 UK forums. And why does everyone want BF3 to be just like BF2 but with updated graphics? From my understanding a lot of people ripped on BF2 when it first game out and hated it because it was nothing like 1942 and now they are saying that BF2 was the most awesome game out there.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                      I have to say the worst community award goes to the official BF3 UK forums. And why does everyone want BF3 to be just like BF2 but with updated graphics? From my understanding a lot of people ripped on BF2 when it first game out and hated it because it was nothing like 1942 and now they are saying that BF2 was the most awesome game out there.
                      Huh, funny you should say that. Check out the post in the BF3 section. Im sure its unbiased though.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                        I have to say the worst community award goes to the official BF3 UK forums. .
                        Battlelog was worse. And everybody says that the US forums are pure hell.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                          Im sorry Rambo, but the fail wouldnt have happened. I mean, check out this qoute from the interview:

DICE expects the comments of "This isnt Battlefield." and "This is CoD" or "This is BC3" and DICE is going to shrug that off because the game/beta we are playing is incomplete and not the entire picture. Not to mention the fact that in every BF game, they made some big changes in it. BF2 was way different from 1942 and Vietnam and way out there was 2142. Yeah, it was a great pr move to release Caspian to the public, but now the feedback became "The jets suck." "The Jets are Overpowered." "The Jets feel fake." "The jets are too hard to control." but the problem is the beta is two months older than the rest of the game, in fact, its probably 2.5 months older now at this point.

So dont think for a minute because you saw the vocal minority in Battlelog ripping the beta that BF3 is doomed. Almost every one of those people are still buying the game. Many of them said so in other posts or in their own post. You seem to think that that was the voice of the community, but its not. Most those people didnt have a clue what they were talking about or were saying whatever to try to get a change their way.

Of course, the same could be said about me. People reading this could be saying that I dont know what I am talking about and I dont have a clue. That may be true, but I will be playing BF3 on release and I will probably be seeing them on as well.

Crunch
                          No offence Crunchie but you seem to have your head in EAs lap atm?

I agree the amount of people who whine is epic!!,people will even whine that the game is even too good, people whine over nothing lol

I did not pull my Pre order because ,well! to be honest only because of the "BF" name and a little hope, but i was close.I think the release at the end saved their asses and the numbers i think would have been up too 10-15% of lost sales if people were given the idea "Metro is BF".

Metro is appauling!!!!

Now come's the arguement that the Beta is not ment to serve any purpose for sales, this is plain BS to me becuase we all know the beta has turned into some kind of pre release demo.They advertise it that way, hand out lots of special beta keys so its all turned into some massive puplicity marketing tool for them.

To me the beta is totally some kind of sales demo now and serves no purpose of testing other than bandwidth testing.

Yes alot on the forums dont have a clue, some have never even seen BF before and whine, but Metro was a fail move IMO.

I have this conspiracy that the "caspain " we played is brand spanking new and they had all sort of errors with it on release, later having to pull it from beta and the video's of the net of vehicles not working properly.

Luckily they then worked flat out for1 week to fix caspian beta best the could and got it out before they went down in history for beta disapoint.

Im expecting a buggy game on release, while the maps are not massive massive IMO ,they are equal to most bf2 maps and are twice as graphical pretty.

So im ,um! satisfied? or "just content " with a map like Caspain as a BF map, some of the maps have close flags in the middle like some sort of arena? type map and it could be a major worry for the style of game play they want to make or think we want in the future.

I also agree with the other post that "Unlocks" has become some kind of aids infestation in the game and sets us up for more exlusive DLC unlocks which will be bad for the game.

Right now my pre order is still there.

Comment

For all that I've not played a single game in the Battlefield series except for Battlefield 2 demo (although I years later bought battlefield 2 on steam it had died down so much and the graphics had aged that I didn't wanna play it after all) I don't get why people hate the Metro map so much.

I like that it advances game play through four stages. I like that the four stages are the same exact map and not separated by load screens like with TF2 on some maps. It's the standard 'plant bomb and defuse bomb' scenario. I don't know if 'rush' game mode existed in previous battlefields or not but it seems pretty fun to me.

I'm not sure I like how defense gets infinite spawns but attackers only get X amount of tickets, though. If balanced, fine, but it seems like it would be tricky to balance. Especially if server admins can set how many tickets there are, that'll screw up the balance a lot too. And if they can adjust timers on the bombs, that screws up balance too.

But that's the game mode...I see so many people attacking the map. What's so bad about it? First stage, defense has no los on the bombsites making them need to use explosives to get that los (or use it to their advantage). I do think the idea of being 'prone in a corner' is pretty stupid though but it's something to get used to and then learn to beat. It does make all bombsites easier to 'guard' though until explosives come flying in. Second section has four major ways to approach. Left with the trains, right through the tunnel which eventually drops down to the right of the trains, and middle to the left of the train on the right, and the fourth one, if you go either left or middle then you go into the actual middle through the hallways. As offensive I just find the one that's least guarded (usually the third one I mentioned, sometimes the fourth). I go up the stairs above A and then over and around B and I plant. Recon can also make a spawn point back there. Even if they defuse it, by that time they're scrambling and retreating and the rest of the team can push hard and now we're much closer to the bombsites.

The third section is the trickiest in my opinion for offense. The entire point of this stage for offense is getting into a position where they can prevent the defense from being able to get los on the bombsites. This is the hardest stage for offense if defense know what they're doing. The final stage is easier, I like that you have to break walls to even get at A, and B has no real way to 'camp' it, there's no way to get a good los on it for defense where your position isn't very much out in the open itself. If offense gets A it's not long before they get B. I don't see fourth stage enough to have a good idea how to do it on defense, it seems like it's a lot easier for offense just because most people don't even see that stage.

It's kind of annoying when either team wins on the first stage though. Not enough variety playing the first stage over and over in my opinion. Is that why people don't like it? I don't get it. =P

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                              No offence Crunchie but you seem to have your head in EAs lap atm?

I agree the amount of people who whine is epic!!,people will even whine that the game is even too good, people whine over nothing lol

I did not pull my Pre order because ,well! to be honest only because of the "BF" name and a little hope, but i was close.I think the release at the end saved their asses and the numbers i think would have been up too 10-15% of lost sales if people were given the idea "Metro is BF".

Metro is appauling!!!!

Now come's the arguement that the Beta is not ment to serve any purpose for sales, this is plain BS to me becuase we all know the beta has turned into some kind of pre release demo.They advertise it that way, hand out lots of special beta keys so its all turned into some massive puplicity marketing tool for them.

To me the beta is totally some kind of sales demo now and serves no purpose of testing other than bandwidth testing.

Yes alot on the forums dont have a clue, some have never even seen BF before and whine, but Metro was a fail move IMO.

I have this conspiracy that the "caspain " we played is brand spanking new and they had all sort of errors with it on release, later having to pull it from beta and the video's of the net of vehicles not working properly.

Luckily they then worked flat out for1 week to fix caspian beta best the could and got it out before they went down in history for beta disapoint.

Im expecting a buggy game on release, while the maps are not massive massive IMO ,they are equal to most bf2 maps and are twice as graphical pretty.

So im ,um! satisfied? or "just content " with a map like Caspain as a BF map, some of the maps have close flags in the middle like some sort of arena? type map and it could be a major worry for the style of game play they want to make or think we want in the future.

I also agree with the other post that "Unlocks" has become some kind of aids infestation in the game and sets us up for more exlusive DLC unlocks which will be bad for the game.

Right now my pre order is still there.
                              LOL, none taken Rambo. Your opinion is yours and my facts are mine

Also, no offense, but your BF2 goggles are on a little tight.

Crunch

Comment

Working...
                              X