Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: DICE: "Most Sandbox Games Are Boring"

From next-gen.biz:

Battlefield 3’s campaign to be more tightly scripted than DICE's open Bad Company titles, says Patrick Bach.

Swedish developer DICE has revealed that combat in its upcoming shooter Battlefield 3’s campaign more closely resembles the tightly-scripted likes of the Call Of Duty series, rather than the open, sandbox style of its previous Battlefield 2: Bad Company games.

Executive producer Patrick Bach told us: “I don’t see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We’ve been building sandbox games for quite some time and we’ve got pretty good at it, but I don’t see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn’t build campaigns at all.

“In some cases they aren’t, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular.”

Battlefield 3 is powered by DICE’s new Frostbite 2 engine, meaning that the series’ trademark destructible environments will be even more impressive than before. Bach, however, points out that the technology is posing its fair share of problems during development.

“Just the fact that the environment can change dynamically creates a huge challenge for us when it comes to AI,” he explains. “[It] puts a lot of challenges to our AI code when it comes to finding new cover, reacting to the fact that it has disappeared, moving and flanking based on the new situation.”

We spoke to Bach as part of our first preview of Battlefield 3 in our next issue, E227, which will be with subscribers any day now and at newsagents on April 12.

OK, so before anyone starts getting out the pitchforks and shouting CoD remake, let us all remember they are talking single player. You know, the part no one cares about

Zh1nt0 has already commented:
    @3DuArD0242 people are reading too much into it. Commenting that tomorrow.
    Source

So what are your thoughts about this scripted environment? Would it be hard to make such intelligent AI to adapt to walls and cover being gone? Would it make a single player game seem dull or would that be alright? Could a sandbox FPS single player game work, since most military FPS games have objectives to complete and points to reach?

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: DICE: “Most Sandbox Games Are Boring”

Just as long as it lasts longer than 5 or 6 hours I don't really care if they compare it to the COD series.

Comment

While I prefer sandbox games, they are right in that the majority of people prefer the scripted Call of Duty style. I don't mind anyway, I don't buy BF for the single player.

Originally posted by stilla-killa
      Just as long as it lasts longer than 5 or 6 hours I don't really care if they compare it to the COD series.
      The DICE GM said recently that BF3 will have a 12 hour campaign. Even accounting for the obvious exaggeration, I would say that it will still be longer than 6 hours.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

i wish they would scrap the single player all together and focus more on de bugging mp and getting the severs ready for the hordes of players that will swarm to this on release day.

Comment

Singleplayer is single-play, so scripting is fine with me as long as it is not too obvious.
          But I hate it when the game is herding you too much, and they can also take their "press right mouse to head-but" events and stuff them where the sun doesn't shine.

Comment

What a pity. I prefer sandbox games, I like to be "bored" in SP. Sandbox style has more replayability potential.
            And what about coop? BF3 suppose to have it, right? I don't see all these scripts running fine in coop.

Comment

I dunno, sometimes the less scripting (ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R) makes Co-Op harder, as in, its harder to track every single movement without scripting. Though Im not sure if this post makes sense... Just disregard it if it doesnt.

Comment

Sandbox in BC1 yes, not BC2 except 1-2 maps (like the one in the desert) and even then it's not really sandbox just less scripted and linear SP which I prefer over CoD's corridor script fest.

Comment

Did DICE say that there would be SP co-op? If so that would be so AWESOME.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                    Did DICE say that there would be SP co-op? If so that would be so AWESOME.
                    They said there would be co-op, but I dont think it will be single player co-op but a seperate thing.

Crunch

Comment

If DICE thinks BC2's SP was a sandbox game, then it's clear not a single person at that company has ever played FarCry or FarCry 2.

Comment

Sandbox sucks as long as it isnt in a massive multiplayer world

Comment

rails......

Comment

I have a few thoughts:

Most sandbox games are boring? That's intrinsic, because the majority of games are boring. No one is being innovative anymore. BF1942 wasn't boring and it was sandbox. But it was also innovative. Remember that DICE?

Regarding singleplayer? Indoor sandbox is hard because you end up going around in circles 4 times before you realize you're back where you started and you can't find the secret door in the corner of corridor number 15.

Case in point of an innovative and captivating open-sandbox single player game? Zelda. 'nuff said.

Sometimes it seems as if DICE creates a game, and then finds ways to explain away the lack of innovation because "everyone feels this way".

WE'RE NOT BUYING IT ANYMORE.

Multiplayer is a bit different, I don't think too many people in the community assume they are talking about multiplayer, as that cannot be linear and scripted by its very nature.

Comment

The thing is that MULTIPLAYER is generally not boring, to me, because people are involved. They do the craziest things sometimes.

Indoor stuff is usually linear moreso, like a maze for a rat. It can be fun, but you are generally being steared directions. Even in Doom you had to find cards to open doors, which lead you to monsters or traps.

Zelda is a great example, however, if you dont get the right equipment for your journey then its a lot harder to make it through, IF you even can. Again, have to go places to keep moving.

And again, we are talking single player, not multiplayer, which is what the true Battlefield has been for years.

Crunch

Comment

Working...
                              X