Call of Duty FPS confirmed for late 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty FPS confirmed for late 2011

Activision executives confirm new first-person installment in series will arrive in latter half of next year; no word on developer.

Today, Activision Blizzard issued a better-than-expected earnings report in which it announced a $51 million quarterly profit. In a conference call with analysts afterwards, executives revealed further details on the publisher's future plans.

One detail that was revealed was that the Call of Duty series will once again have a fresh first-person installment late next year. "We will launch a new first-person action title during the back half of 2011," Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said. This sentiment was later echoed by Activision COO Thomas Tippl, who said that "Next year's Call of Duty will be a first-person shooter."

The executives did not name the game or which studio was developing it. A likely suspect is Modern Warfare 3, which court documents identified as being in development at Infinity Ward as of May. That same month, Activision said the studio, which had lost over 35 members following the firing of its founders in March, continued to work on its "next big project."

A second Call of Duty is also in the works from newly formed studio Sledgehammer Games. Though Activision has said this title would take the Call of Duty series into the action-adventure genre, third-person, a May job listing indicated it would also be a first-person shooter. Activision has not said when the Sledgehammer title will be released, but said it was not the unnamed COD project slated for next year--presumably Modern Warfare 3.

SOURCE

Re: Call of Duty FPS confirmed for late 2011

If this is IW working on a game, and with Sledgehammer working on an FPS game (if you want confirmation of this, just go to their website and go to the "our games" section, where it says in giant letters "We are currently working on a Call of Duty FPS game"), then there will be 3 companies working on CoD. I doubt they would keep the every year release, because then each company would work on a game for 3 years, and I doubt they want that. Another option is that they are aiming towards releasing two CoDs in the same year (one late spring/summer, one fall as normal?).
    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

thats the subscription based COD?

Comment

Why bother even announcing this? Bobby already said they're going to exploit franchises on an annual basis. Did someone underestimate his greed and willingness to drive a series into the ground?

Comment

I wish they wouldnt produce a new CoD every year. CoD4 easily lasted from its release date up until now and is still a great game. Black Ops is looking like it could last a long time especially with all the content thats been thrown in. I dont understand the market for it.

Comment

Tony Hawk and the Guitar Hero series have also been beaten into the ground. What other genres/series do they exploit the holy crap out of?

Comment

The FIFA games are getting that way too. I only buy them every 2 years now so i actually get some new features rather than "you can put your face in game now "

Comment

At first I was all, SURPRISE!!!, but then I was all, wait there has been a new CoD every year since CoD4 and I was all, NOT SURPRISE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                  Tony Hawk and the Guitar Hero series have also been beaten into the ground. What other genres/series do they exploit the holy crap out of?
                  An invited reading is that they are catering to an audience.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                    Madden football for the consoles is another one. Has come out every year since the Sega Genesis days.

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa
                      Madden football for the consoles is another one. Has come out every year since the Sega Genesis days.
                      Yeah but it's Madden. Don't diss.

Comment

games are tending to go into mmos now.. everytime they get more similar and similar. we will get some sort of CoD mmorpg in a while xD

Comment

remember that all of the console players are in their early teens so their attention span is very short and they look forward to their yearly Christmas present of a new COD game. they also all give into peer pressure a hell of alot faster than PC players so if their little friends get it they have to as well.

all of this means more money for COD so that is why they do it. the market is most definitely there.

Comment

Working...
                          X