Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Xbox - Battlefield 2: Modern Combat the end of an era

This just in from the BF Blog:

On the 15th April, Microsoft will be closing down access to the original Xbox Live services. This unfortunately means that Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on Xbox will no longer be playable online.

DICE would like to thank all the players that kept Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on Xbox so popular since launch and we hope you take time out of playing Backstab on repeat and take this last chance to play all the other mutliplayer maps like: Bridge Too Far, Deadly Pass, The Black Gold, Little Big Eye, Frostbite, Honor, Full Frontal, Dammage, Cold Front, Missile Crisis, Russian Border, Harbor Edge, Hidden, The Nest and Special Op.

Feel free to discuss the last hours of the original Xbox version of BF2:MC on our forums and arrange some last games with friends.

For more details on the original Xbox Live service and its closure check out Major Nelson's blog.

This won't affect the Xbox 360 version of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat which will continue to be playable online.

Source...

Re: Original Xbox - Battlefield 2: Modern Combat the end of an era

BF Modern Combat 2 an era? lol

Seriously though, somebody should record some online montage on the last day.

Comment

I used to play this game! Good times...

Comment

RIP.

Used to play it at my cousin's. Good times....

Comment

Ah, memories...

Comment

I bought the Xbox 360 version in 2008 because it was cheap and I was bored. Never got around to playing online before we traded it in because my brother and I are too cheap to get live.

Comment

Not a good sign for how they plan on treating future BF console games.....Tell me, why would you buy something when you know they're going to quit support for it in a few years?

Comment

This is why ranking all dedicated servers in PC is a necessity (without a central server). How long until DICE stops supporting the BF2 rank servers?

Comment

When BF3 is released probably, or not long long after.

Comment

Yeah, all good things must come to an end eventually. Its easy when you control the central server.

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Whoa, gents. This isn't EA/Dice shutting it down. This is Microsoft killing Live support for the original Xbox and its games.
                      Considering how old the game is and the fact that only 8 people were playing when I checked it out a few months ago, they would have been justified in shutting it down. But they didn't. Microsoft is doing this for various reasons.

And as we look down the road, we’ll continue to evolve the service with features and experiences that harness the full power of Xbox 360. To reach our aspiration, we need to make changes to the service that are incompatible with our original Xbox v1 games.
                      So don't blame Dice or act like they're going to kill BF games on a whim. I HIGHLY doubt that's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Not a good sign for how they plan on treating future BF console games.....Tell me, why would you buy something when you know they're going to quit support for it in a few years?
                        To any of those who didn't read or understand everything from the blog.

On the 15th April, Microsoft will be closing down access to the original Xbox Live services. This unfortunately means that Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on Xbox will no longer be playable online.
                        DICE is shutting down the Xbox Original version meaning the old (1st Gen) Xbox. The 360 will still be supported. Original Xbox is old already, why support it if hardly anyone plays it anymore. Everyone has moved to the 360 version.

Comment

when I check out this days back, there were still several players playing Original Doom.

But silly me trying to compare a real game with a commercial one.

Comment

Originally posted by M0t0rBreath
                            To any of those who didn't read or understand everything from the blog.

DICE is shutting down the Xbox Original version meaning the old (1st Gen) Xbox. The 360 will still be supported. Original Xbox is old already, why support it if hardly anyone plays it anymore. Everyone has moved to the 360 version.
                            Again, Dice aren't the ones doing this. They're just letting everyone know that Microsoft is doing it and that their game is unavailable now.

Comment

new box art

Comment

Working...
                              X