Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumor: Royalties May Be Reason IW Developers Are Staying At Activision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Royalties May Be Reason IW Developers Are Staying At Activision.

From Kotaku.com:

With studio heads at Infinity Ward, the developer of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and its sequel, no longer employed, you'd think all those remaining at the company would be leaving in mass exodus. They're not, apparently, and here's why.

Sources tell Kotaku that Modern Warfare publisher Activision is delaying paying Infinity Ward employees their royalties. Every employee who worked on Modern Warfare 2 is apparently in for royalties. Traditionally, Infinity Ward has paid staff regular or even "low" salaries, sources tell Kotaku, but offer ridiculous royalties to compensate.

Earlier this month, Infinity Ward studio heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, the men at the center of the Call of Duty developer drama, filed suit against Activision over claims they are owed "substantial royalty payments". <!--more-->

"Activision has refused to honor the terms of its agreements and is intentionally flouting the fundamental public policy of this State (California) that employers must pay their employees what they have rightfully earned," said the pair's attorney, Robert Schwartz, of law firm O'Melveny & Myers earlier this month. "Instead of thanking, lauding, or just plain paying Jason and Vince for giving Activision the most successful entertainment product ever offered to the public, last month Activision hired lawyers to conduct a pretextual 'investigation' into unstated and unsubstantiated charges of 'insubordination' and 'breach of fiduciary duty,' which then became the grounds for their termination on Monday, March 1st."

There have been rumors that Infinity Ward had been courting EA and other publishers before this brouhaha broke.

Sources tell Kotaku that Activision continues to delay royalties to other employees in order to keep them at the company. The morale at Infinity Ward is reportedly extremely low.

Last fall, Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 launched, racking up, as this past January, over a billion dollars in sales.

Kotaku is following up with Activision and will update this post should the company comment.

Things keep sounding more desperate for everyone involved. Do you think this rumor could be the reason many are still at Activision or could this just be another spun up tale? If it is true, what do you think it means for those there as well as the other developing companies, such as Treyarch?

Source
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Rumor: Royalties May Be Reason IW Developers Are Staying At Activision.

There is something else going on. Read this I saw:

As a former recruiter in the video game industry (as well as a tester, localization editor, and an Assistant Producer), I can tell you this: California Labor Code states that if an employee is fired or quits, the employer has 72 hours to pay the employee IN FULL everything that the employee is owed by the employer. That includes cashing out unpaid PTO, commissions, royalties, etc. The only exception to this LAW is for cumulative compensation that cannot be calculated. This would be royalties or commissions for the current month, for instance. So, if somebody was fired on, say March 15th, and royalties are not calculated until the last day of the month, then the royalties for March would have to be paid by the end of August 3rd (72 hours after the end of the royalty period). IW employees, I hope you are reading this. If you don't want to take my word for it, call the CA Lobor Board or look it up online (I encourage you to do so). Here's the best part: for every day that the employer is late in paying due compensation, the employee will be awarded one full days pay in penalties
    And this:

And CA operates on a 2 strike rule for employers... If your business gets nailed for labor law violations reaying employees twice within a 10 year time frame, any attorney can put a motion before the courts to have your business barred from doing business in CA for 1 or more months.
    These are two comments I found that sum up what you can find here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...0&file=200-243

Clearly something more has happened. IW's employees should know that they can leave and get their payments.

Comment

Yeah, thats true, but its still scary to leave your job when they have all your major money and you dont know what is going to happen and for how long.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

IW just care about money now. You really expect them to have a back bone and stick up for each other?

Fat chance, they are just going to cash in as much as possible off MW2. Let's face it, having "I was a developer of MW2" on a CV would turn a lot of people away. I wouldn't look twice at them anymore.

Comment

remember, sure, it was a pretty crapilly generic game, but it got activision a hellavalotta money. IW just didnt see said money.

And outside the gaming world, the game is pure gold, and employers from other jobs probably dont know battlefield from a batting field for all they care, and call of duty would probably make them think they were in the army. People outside our world only see the popularity of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
            From Kotaku.com:
            [INDENT]
            that employers must pay their employees what they have rightfully earned,"
            Thats settled then, IW don't get jack because they made a crap game and don't have any right to the money for it for being nutbars and being selfish *BEEP!

All the best
            Unregistered

Comment

I can't stand the game but to think that IW employees do not deserve royalties from a game that topped selling charts and made history is ludicrous. The game is still a massive hit with many players.

Comment

Some purists (Pre Modern Warfare) may not like the modern warfare series, but the series has a huge following now. Activision is just mad that their brand name is not on it. A-vsion should be kissing some IW rearend for making COD the most popular 1st person shooter this side of HALO.
                Activision does not need to swallow pride or jealousy, but they do need to pay the IW guys and I'm sure the law in Cali will make sure of that.
                I hoping for Vietnam era COD in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X