Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Game Server Demand pushes capacity past 150k player slots

This just in from the BF Blog:

Yesterday an article went up at VE3D stating that DICE has asked all GSP’s to turn off idle servers and it caused a bit of a stir in the community. While there is some truth to the article it also has a number of inaccuracies which we’ll explain here.

This was not asked of all GSP’s but only to one of our closest GSP’s, Multiplay.co.uk. We approached them with the idea of shutting down servers that have had no players in the server for 8 hours with the option of opting in or out for the server owners.

We did not make this decision lightly but as an attempt to temporarily lower traffic on EA servers that is caused by the game server browser while we work on a client fix for the browser here at DICE. After previously shutting down all EA Public servers which accounted for approximately 40,000 player slots we have actually gained approximately 50,000 more player slots from new rental servers. We currently have enough server capacity to allow over 150,000 players to get in a game server at once and that is just on PC.

As those who have servers at Multiplay will be aware you can opt out of your server being shut down during times of inactivity, however if you aren’t aware of how to do this and you would like to opt out of allowing your server to be shut down when idle you can do so through your account at ClanForge.

1. Goto ClanForge -> Servers, select your server and Click Edit
    2. Once in the edit screen configure your servers "Auto Restart Interval" to something other than None e.g. 1 Week
    3. Save your server settings

If you chose to opt in to allow your server to be shut down during times of inactivity you can start your server again at any time and as often as you like.

Other server hosts may offer a similar option on their servers. Please contact your server provider directly to see if they have any plans and if so how you can opt in or out.

This temporary solution will help reduce the server load until we can release a client fix to help reduce server browser load while keeping enough game server slots running for everyone to be able to get in game. Once our client update is complete, Multiplay will not use the idle shut server down setting and we will start up all of the EA Public servers again.

Source...

Re: High Game Server Demand pushes capacity past 150k player slots

I know 150,000 connections for PC is a lot, but I am surprised when you compare that number to overall gamers around the world, its really not that much percentage wise.

I know there are a lot of games out there for players to choose from and not every gamer will be in BC2, so maybe this lower number does make a lot more sense.

I mean, I know at this time it doesnt because of the overload, but mathematically speaking, that must be how they get the number.

It almost seems to me that they were not expecting BC2 to be this huge of a hit.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Available player slots for other games:

CS - 1.7m
      CSS - 1m
      SAMP - 270k
      COD4 - 227k
      TF2 - 119k
      BF2 - 90k

Courtesty of Game-Monitor: http://www.game-monitor.com/

Comment

I guess EA has always been conservative with their slot counts.

Thanks Snazzy for the numbers. +rep

Crunch

Comment

So has anyone in north america had success logging in this weekend?

Comment

Holy crap. Didn't know so many people played San Andreas multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              So has anyone in north america had success logging in this weekend?
              Yeah, I did and was only dropped a couple times. MUCH better than before.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by Eglaerinion
                Holy crap. Didn't know so many people played San Andreas multiplayer.
                Yeah it is remarkably popular, although the high capacity is also attributed to the fact each server can host up to 500 players.

Comment

Working...
                X