Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BASH Interview with DICE

Originally posted by Dangerdog
    along with three different DirectX formats, unless they tell Vista users to migrate to DX11.
    I think the only reason why they are still supporting DirectX9 is because of the mere fact that consoles are holding them back.

Also if we do start heading in a console direction EVERYTHING will be controlled. Not only that and this is probably the most important but PC gaming has helped push computer technology so much in what the last 5-10 years? That it is simply unreal. And if we all start heading into console world this unusual period of technological growth will rapidly dive under the radar. Let's just say today PCs no longer existed you would have maybe one more next gen console and that would be it for a very long time. You probably wouldn't see a new console for 15-20years because there will be no new hardware to justify making a new one. Hardcore PC gamers keep technology moving at a rapid pace and that is a FACT.

Another thing that gets me is that how long has 64bit been out and people are STILL using 32bit. Just forget the people with pentium 4s and 256mb of ram with windows XP and move on already jesus.

Comment

I was wrong GVD did tweet on OfficialBFBC2 that the game will have DX11 support. As Ruger said it will be backward compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugerdog
        Vista will have DX11 from the last time I checked.
        Vista already has DX11.

Comment

I don't buy the "Frostbite mod tools are too complicated for public release" excuse, it should be up to us to determine whether it's "too complicated". That doesn't necessarily mean he lied about wanting mods or that it's a conspiracy to increase DLC sales, it just isn't an acceptable answer IMO.

He said a lot of positive things but I think it's due to his business responsibilities rather than the honest opinion of a modder/non-casual PC gamer.

Better than IW of course, but still not completely straight-forward despite their experience/understanding.

Comment

The community still could mod the game, just will take more time to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snazzy
              I don't buy the "Frostbite mod tools are too complicated for public release" excuse, it should be up to us to determine whether it's "too complicated". That doesn't necessarily mean he lied about wanting mods or that it's a conspiracy to increase DLC sales, it just isn't an acceptable answer IMO
              you have to understand that the way they make the game is different than how some other company's make with their own mod tools. yeah some companies like Crytek and epic made their engine tools available to the public AND they use the same program to make their games but some companies have their own ways of making their games and is not set up in a way of just installing on your computer and have at it.

and i dont think its to help them sell DLC. he stated that hes all for modding and letting the community come up with awesome ideas they never even thought of. this frostbite engine is the first for pc, they are probably working on making the engine AND the game for the pc at the same time.

its not like they already have this engine made for pc and they are just pumping out a game. if this was the case, 1943 would have been released for the pc and mod tools would probably be a yes (with release)

Comment

Not once did I feel "holy ****! this is awesome, I love these guys" during this podcast. Yeah, Lex did tell how things are/were/will most likely be, but 402 was also very frank when he was confronted with questions. Actually, 402 was more frank, more direct with his answers. The fact that Lex hesitated with a lot of his answers, stumbled with words and had a friggin difficult time getting to the point means that he was either nervious about saying something which could upset the whole community (my bet) or he wasnt trained for this (my bet). There were a lot of answers which shouldnt comfort anyone, but I do appreciate the fact that they come out months before and prep the community for possible issues.

Issues like no demo recording in first person perspective. Which is a must for competitive gaming, and would add a lot to the public scene aswell.

Or things like mod tools. They are able to do their work with the tools they have developed. I dont see what they are so afraid of.

I respect DICE making an effort, but all in all, its not like they actually gave anything positive out except saying "BC2 will have dedicated server support". We already knew that.

About 2 years ago, when DICE was confronted with a simple question "why cant you balance out the jets?" CMCK came out with an answer "its incredibly difficult to create a hotbox mesh" as in saying that fixing hit detection for jets was a difficult task, and so was balancing them. And it was complete BS because Point of Existence managed to create a number of completely different airplanes with different airframes and they had all almost identical missile hit detection.

Maybe these answers felt a little BS-y for me here aswell, or maybe the mod tools are in their current form almost impossible to use for someone without training, but so were BF2 tools. And look at the mods.

Im ultimately left unsattisfied with the answers and I really wish we get more in the future. Theres a lot of BS PR war going on right now and the last 5 years have turned me into a cynic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                  Not once did I feel "holy ****! this is awesome, I love these guys" during this podcast. Yeah, Lex did tell how things are/were/will most likely be, but 402 was also very frank when he was confronted with questions. Actually, 402 was more frank, more direct with his answers. The fact that Lex hesitated with a lot of his answers, stumbled with words and had a friggin difficult time getting to the point means that he was either nervious about saying something which could upset the whole community (my bet) or he wasnt trained for this (my bet). There were a lot of answers which shouldnt comfort anyone, but I do appreciate the fact that they come out months before and prep the community for possible issues.

Issues like no demo recording in first person perspective. Which is a must for competitive gaming, and would add a lot to the public scene aswell.

Or things like mod tools. They are able to do their work with the tools they have developed. I dont see what they are so afraid of.

I respect DICE making an effort, but all in all, its not like they actually gave anything positive out except saying "BC2 will have dedicated server support". We already knew that.

About 2 years ago, when DICE was confronted with a simple question "why cant you balance out the jets?" CMCK came out with an answer "its incredibly difficult to create a hotbox mesh" as in saying that fixing hit detection for jets was a difficult task, and so was balancing them. And it was complete BS because Point of Existence managed to create a number of completely different airplanes with different airframes and they had all almost identical missile hit detection.

Maybe these answers felt a little BS-y for me here aswell, or maybe the mod tools are in their current form almost impossible to use for someone without training, but so were BF2 tools. And look at the mods.

Im ultimately left unsattisfied with the answers and I really wish we get more in the future. Theres a lot of BS PR war going on right now and the last 5 years have turned me into a cynic.

And kudos to you for taking a step back and looking at all this realistically. I won't add much input besides "ditto" and:

As with any game, the real test is time. Do they love us? Will it be another 1942? Will mods be embraced? Will it be fun? The big question.....Will it entertain us until BF3?

We won't know until we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Snazzy
                    I don't buy the "Frostbite mod tools are too complicated for public release" excuse, it should be up to us to determine whether it's "too complicated". That doesn't necessarily mean he lied about wanting mods or that it's a conspiracy to increase DLC sales, it just isn't an acceptable answer IMO.

He said a lot of positive things but I think it's due to his business responsibilities rather than the honest opinion of a modder/non-casual PC gamer.

Better than IW of course, but still not completely straight-forward despite their experience/understanding.
                    It could very well be that the game's maps are 80% 3dsmax 20% custom tools, mostly for export.

Many games are designed inside 3D modeling applications these days, id software's RAGE is another example, already stated that the game won't be moddable and that's mostly because they're using the 3D modeling/animating/texturing application called modo from luxology.com to do the heavy lifting, and entire maps are laid out and then exported to their game engine.

The "destruction 2.0" systems in BC2 aren't procedural as far as I know, that concrete wall has to be modeled with pre-defined break points and fragments. Once upon a time game assets were free flowing out of the game engine and into 3d modeling programs, now there's a concerted effort to prevent people from exporting game assets - even when mapping tools are provided.

In the case of BC2 I could picture a situation where people wouldn't have access to any game assets to create maps with because the developers aren't going to hand over the raw 3dsmax files.

One more example, Bad Company 1's terrain was generated with a 3rd party program called GeoControl2, it's a $200 program http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm

I imagine they're using it for BC2 as well, the main point being is that the "tools" that DICE use to make the game with are probably expensive 3rd party applications like this and not a bunch of custom in-house apps.

Comment

when i hear him say "this is the best battlefield game I've ever seen come from DICE".......I get warm and fuzzy all over............

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerdog

I imagine they're using it for BC2 as well, the main point being is that the "tools" that DICE use to make the game with are probably expensive 3rd party applications like this and not a bunch of custom in-house apps.
                        Thats wrong they use their own in house app called FrostED. Its for map creation, objects management, animations etc. There are some GDC presentations with FrostED screenshots. Of course there are better apps for terrain creation, you can use geo control for BF2 too so thats not an argument. In my opinion they just dont want to release tools for such a new engine. GVD said that "its more realistic for other games they got in their pipes" (aka. BF3). BF3 is most likely PC only game.

Comment

402? Had decent answers? ROFLMAO, your killing me.

He had no technical knowledge of the game he represents.
                          He was unfamiliar with the terms and acronyms thrown at him, which he defended with that the "technical people should answer that."
                          He avoided a question by saying "oh I'm looking at the chat"
                          He was late for an interview.
                          He has no working knowledge of how the PC community operates.
                          MW2 was at a stage where it was practically finished so he had all the answers.

Comment

On Gametrailers.com, they have this discussion show (cant remember the name), and there were 4 people talking about MW, Bowling, the host and two guys from IW. It was rather sad to see the three guys talking about gaming, both future and past and Bowling only being able to join a discussion when MW2 came up.

It was an odd show...

Comment

All games, doesnt matter wich programs they use, has to be assembled in engine, thats the beauty of using a 3D engine, it simplifies the amount of work.

They have a MapEditor working right now for it games, considering that all the lines of codes can be edited in a simple notepad, so the editor exist. I dont believe that going to see a active mapping community in this game, is just not the DICE way; vide BF2, piratically zero servers with custom maps.

In fact has been a while since I had see any EA's games running custom maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeq
                                But he also said that PC beta will be very exclusive (not for everyone)
                                God I hope it won`t be that fileplanet subscriber crap again. God I hate that.

Comment

Working...
                                X