BC2 Beta Hands on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC2 Beta Hands on

Joystiq managed to get their hands on the PS3 beta of Bad Company 2 early and have made a little video and battle report to make us jealous:

<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/95fefb09" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/95fefb09" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler" ></embed></object>
    The battle commenced outside of a military installation, with the target crates housed deep behind walls impervious to destruction. The attackers got access to M1 Abrams tanks, Humvees and quad ATVs (hello, Halo 3?) while the defenders had the considerable fortifications to their advantage (not to mention multiple sniper towers with mounted machine guns).

We were on the US Army side for the match, making us the attackers. Despite a good amount of cover out in the field, the incoming fire and difficulty finding any opening -- even for snipers -- in their stronghold's outer defenses pretty much forced our team to form a moving wall of tanks and drive full-bore through the gates. It wasn't pretty, but the sheer amount of gung-ho ballsyness of it seemed to throw them off long enough to a couple of us to sneak in and destroy the objectives.

Next it was on to the main road headed for Arica Harbor. This wound down through a partially bombed out town where some of the larger buildings were in the process of being rebuilt -- think a ghost town where the tallest structures are not much more than frames and floors. This turned out to be prime real estate for snipers on both sides as our team -- armor and all -- was forced down what passed for a narrow main street.

We discovered portable terminals on the outskirts of the town, and, when we walked up and activated one, an unmanned drone helicopter appeared. We were able to take it up into the airspace above the town and remotely open fire on enemies holed up in the large warehouse-in-progress where the objective crates were.

We spent most of this battle as the sniper class, perched on one of the unfinished buildings and picking off our counterparts on the opposing team. They'd try to retreat into their buildings, but we'd figured out how to call in artillery strikes on locations by paining them with a laser. Still, our tactics weren't enough and we went into the next (and final) round defeated.

The "last stand" on the Arica Harbor map takes place at ... Arica Harbor. It's a maze of shipping containers and cranes, and the objectives that need to be destroyed are in there somewhere. This part of the map was all about close-quarters fighting, so we went medic and doled out health while using a snub-nosed machine gun on anyone silly enough to dash out from behind a container without looking first. It was intense, we died a lot but in the end we were victorious.

We can't wait to battle there again (and again, and again ... ) when the beta goes live in a couple of weeks. It's a really well designed map, and, as only a taste of what's to come, has us really eager to experience the rest of the maps Bad Company 2's multiplayer mode will have to offer.

source

Re: BC2 Beta Hands on

I have to say I'm impressed, the whole game looks more polished than BF2 was. They seem to have really made an effort on this one.

Also the useless accuracy of guns in BF2 seems to be fixed, gun are now reasonably accurate and do their fair share of damage. Again this is only a visual analysis and hopefully I will get my hands on the BETA to get a hands on with it. No sign of a commrose or "Spotted" shortcut though which is disappointing.

For now though, very good. Good find.

Comment

Seems AWESOME! I CANT WAIT!

Comment

I've always loved the sounds with this game I am definitely saving my money to buy this instead of MW2. Like Mavrik said it seems like they polished it a lot more from what BC was.

I also lol'd at the guy getting mauled by the Humvee at the end.

Comment

Just watched the Vid on GameTrailers.

Wow... This is looking awesome.

The Humvee part at the end was absolutely tops.

The sounds in this game are very very impressive, I really like them alot.

Comment

It does feature a lot of what is known as those "Battlefield moments", just absolutely mayhem with missiles flying about and humvees rolling.

I actually can't wait until beta!

Comment

man this game is going to be fun. I love the sounds. :yay:

Comment

By open-beta does that mean everyone can play it? Or just a select few?

LOOKS AWESOME! Can't wait

Comment

Open usually means anyone.

Comment

I'm loving the graphics, sound and physics. Also, was that an airstrike I saw hit that tank at 1:06?

Comment

The graphics look incredible and the gameplay looks awesome but the sounds! wow! insane, who is responsible for sounds in BF games?

Looks like this game is going to be awesome! I hope they will keep up the pace and deliver.

Comment

Looks and sounds awesome going to preorder PC version soon...

Couple things to add to PC version:

- Prone
                        - Static minimap

:thumbsup: :salute:

Comment

The game will have two new squad based game modes that aren't co-op.

Comment

wow the sounds sound really cool cant wait looking great :yay:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Garf*uk*
                              wow the sounds sound really cool cant wait looking great :yay:
                              Agree BC had one of the greatest sounds i have yet heard in gaming. And it seems BC2 is even better. But its still a long way till release :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X