PBBans WILL NOT close UPDATED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBBans WILL NOT close UPDATED

As many of you will know, PB Bans has been under severe attacks for the last few weeks. It's believed multiple DDOS style attacks have taken the website down and prevented guests from visiting. The Euro Domination games league caught up with them, here is what they had to say:
    I hate to have to report this news, but PBBans has closed its doors.

Over the past few weeks they have been being hit by a DDOS attack on their server. Today they had another attack and the hosting company would not help them overcome the attack. They would have to move to another hosting company to solve the problem which would cost a lot of money, time, and effort.

The time and effort put in by all the staff members at PBBans has been enormous. But a year or so back, they lost one of the two main coders for the website because Evenbalance would not fix a problem with Punkbuster that allowed for bans to be spoofed. This left MaydaX to code the website and keep it running. Him, along with the founder, Rodeobob, now want to get back to their families and lives, so they are closing the doors to PBBans.]

It's a real shame to see such a good service go, they had to make the best of the rather poor set of cards EvenBalence handed them. Even so, is this just another nail on the Battlefield 2 coffin?

Be sure to leave your thoughts here.

UPDATE:

PPBans have posted and update concerning there closing of doors. Good news its not happening, PPBans lives.
    Over the last month PBBans has been hit with a number of DDoS attacks and we have been able to overcome them. On Aug 18, 2009 a massive DDoS attack hit our web server and could not be prevented with the counter-measures we previously employed. Our host will not do anything to block the attacks and even suggested that we turn our servers off.

After this occurred we decided to close our doors. There are many reasons behind this such as a higher cost for hosting, the lack of a new host that can provide the protection we require and finally the toll PBBans has played on our real lives.

After thinking about it overnight and the overwhelming messages from supporters who pleaded us not to close, we have decided to continue. We have found a new host that will provide the protection we require however it comes at a higher cost. Also the cost of shipping our servers is not a small one.

We need your help to keep us to keep PBBans online. Please donate using the button below.

We thank all our supporters for sticking with us and provided some much needed motivation needed to keep PBBans alive.

Aug 19, 2009
    Hosting has been secured and the process of moving the servers now begins.

Moving also requires all game servers be updated to use a new UCON profile. The new UCON profile will be posted here when we get the IP.

For more on this story check there twitter for the latest updates.

Re: PBBans closes

Well that sucks, so PB is still around? just nobody can be pb banned.... what happens to all the existing bans?

Comment

This is bad. Maybe some game developers can step in a give these guys some help. I know a lot of people hate PB, but now were going to find out how bad it can really be.

Comment

To be quite honest i doubt we will see a difference.

Comment

Re: PBBans closes UPDATED

They live check the post update.

Comment

Still think we wouldnt notice if they were gone. When you look at the figures they ban or even catch a VERY small amount of people who find ways back into the game anyway.

Comment

Great, now there's one less line of defense against hackers on servers. I hope the conspirators of the DDoS attacks die. **** them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie
                Great, now there's one less line of defense against hackers on servers. I hope the conspirators of the DDoS attacks die. **** them.
                Re-Read, they have decided not to close.

Comment

Re: PBBans WILL NOT close UPDATED

This was the worst & best news, all in one day. Glad it got sorted out!

Comment

I dont think of this as a nail in the BF2 coffin, but in the PB coffin. What is it going to take for Evenbalance to relize they have a great set of tools that need some serious updating with modern encryption?

Bandwidth has greatly increased since the release of punkbuster and its suite of tools and options. These spoofing exploits and hacks on the PCs themselves can be overcome by encrypting the data and doing data checks to insure they are not tampered. By uping the quality of the tools and securing them a bit, punkbuster could be more reliable.

Unfortunatly it seems like status quo and severe security concerns, such as the BF2 spoof, are overlooked.

Punkbuster works the same with all games. If something can be done in one, its usually a matter of time before it can spread to others. How much spreading will happen before the PB emblem doesnt mean anything and developers stop bothering to put in in their games?

Im not a programmer and do not know the ins and outs of punkbuster at the level of a programmer, but I would think if these concerns could not be addressed its either time for a new suite of tools to be made by Evenbalance, or we will start seeing the decline.

I commend RodeoBob and MaydaX for staying with it, but its just a matter of time before they run out of hosts or they get tired of the work and they will close. When these central depositories close, PB is pretty weak by itself.

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

so why wouldn't evenbalance combat spoofing? if they don't care about spoofing, why are they even in the business ?

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                        so why wouldn't evenbalance combat spoofing? if they don't care about spoofing, why are they even in the business ?
                        Thats the million dollar question. Why? Is it only because its BF2 and its a very old game? Is it because the tools would need a serious revamp? Is it because they can't? Is it because the spoofing is hard to do and the chances are slim that it would be done and/or could be traced to the server causing the spoofs?

Ive never read anywhere where Evenbalance mentions why, just that they have no plans to do so. Maybe I have overlooked it somewhere, but I would think that would be newsworthy.

Crunch
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

time for EA to find a new anti hacking team....i already paid for the game hence i paid for PB to do its job.....now they are begging for my donations to do what i already paid for? what kind of *** backwards company is this? how come EA isnt helping them with resources or money to move their servers? what a fraking joke.....things like this are why people give DICE and EA so much crap and almost carry a Schadenfreude type attitude towards them. i bet they were sure to get those new sunglasses or cheesy outfits codded into battlefield heroes though this week......

Comment

Originally posted by *FMJ*Power
                            time for EA to find a new anti hacking team....i already paid for the game hence i paid for PB to do its job.....now they are begging for my donations to do what i already paid for? what kind of *** backwards company is this?
                            You obviously don't understand. This is PBBans, a site not affiliated with EvenBalence or EA. They run their own finances and are not part of the contract when you buy BF2

Originally posted by *FMJ*Power
                            how come EA isnt helping them with resources or money to move their servers? what a fraking joke.....things like this are why people give DICE and EA so much crap and almost carry a Schadenfreude type attitude towards them. i bet they were sure to get those new sunglasses or cheesy outfits codded into battlefield heroes though this week......
                            I think if you understood what you were talking about, you might understand that EA aren't going to pay money to some website that isn't really anything to do with them...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                              You obviously don't understand. This is PBBans, a site not affiliated with EvenBalence or EA. They run their own finances and are not part of the contract when you buy BF2

I think if you understood what you were talking about, you might understand that EA aren't going to pay money to some website that isn't really anything to do with them...

obviously they play a pretty big role in keeping out hackers and if not then why should i give them my donations to keep in business? why should i or any other player even care if they go under? if they are so detrimental in keeping out hackers then EA should be taking care of them................

that was sarcasm because if i remember correctly unless our servers were streaming PB bans we were inundating with return hackers and punkbuster was absolutely useless without a database....clearly without pb bans punkbuster doesn't work. why cant evenbalance keep their own database of the people they ban? why does it take a 3rd party website to actually stop hackers from rejoining the ranks?

that was my entire point........its a completely halfassed system....it always has been......

Comment

Working...
                              X