Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo Released

Eidos Interactive has today released the much anticipated demo for their upcoming game Batman: Arkham Asylum. The demo is now live on all three platforms: PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The Batman: Arkham Asylum demo opens as the DARK KNIGHT and Commissioner Gordon return The Joker back into confinement at Arkham Asylum. But things soon fall apart as The Joker gains the upper hand and springs a trap, setting Arkham Asylum’s occupants upon Batman. The demo offers gamers a taste of the fierce FreeFlow combat system, the cunning stealth of the Invisible Predator mechanic, and the feeling of becoming the WORLD’S GREATEST DETECTIVE as they navigate Arkham Asylum’s imposing Intensive Treatment facility. Players can unlock character bios, as well as get a sneak peak at some of the infamous foes that Batman will encounter within the cavernous and macabre confines of Arkham Asylum.

Be sure to post up what you think about the demo. Batman: Arkham Asylum is set to come out for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on August 25th and for the PC on September 15th.

Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo Released

I'll download this and try it out this weekend for the PS3.

Comment

just downloaded and played through this twice, Eidos has a hit on their hands. The only thing that was kinda iffy was the hand to hand combat because it tends to slow pace for a more dramatic effect which can be odd at times. Demo is short and sweet but showcases a lot of great stuff.

Comment

Wow, it was better then I expected. Not great imo, but its fun. Tried it on my friends PS3

Comment

Nice that they released a demo for the PC. I have been seeing less and less as of late.

Comment

The demo is awesome. I definitely recommend people to pick this up, at least just to try it. You don't need a monstrous PC to play it either, rather a big download though.

Comment

I'll be buying this game. I might have to buy a 9800GTX just for PhysX, though. It's rare I can't run a game, besides Crysis at least, on some really high settings without thinking about buying new gear. I suppose if I get a second card I'll really need to upgrade to a bigger PSU.
              Anyway... I certainly felt like Batman for the first time ever. Every game about the Bat has been a HUGE disappointment, I'm glad SOMEONE finally tried to make a real game without it being a crappy tie-in. That has been the main downfall of all of the previous bat games. I can't think of one besides this one that hasn't been tied to some movie or cartoon. I loved Batman TAS and Batman Beyond, but the games based on those shows sucked balls.
              I love that they got Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill to reprise their starring roles for this game. Mr. Conroy was the first person to use two distinct voices for Bruce Wayne and the Bat. It seems like common sense, now, but everyone else has emulated his performance in one way or another, to varying degrees of success, since then.

Moral of the story: They took the time to get the PC version right. I got great frame rates on high settings (minus PhysX, that was on Medium). The controls for my Xbox 360 controller and keyboard/mouse both felt natural and precise, I did one playthrough of each. The story and characters seem to be well done and fleshed out. The gameplay and graphics seem just great. Stealth works. Force works. You are the Batman.

And here I am with my one negative: the combat against unarmed guards was taken straight from Spiderman. Bats even has a Spider-Sense (Bat Sonar?) to let you know when to hit Y to counter and continue your streak. The combo system and close combat felt just like Spiderman 2. Wait a second... Did I say that was a negative? Spiderman 2 was possibly my favorite game on my PS2.
              So I really can't even think of a negative thing to say about Arkham Asylum based on the demo I've just played 3 times. Well, the lips were out of sync with the voices. There, I found something bad to say. And if I have to nitpick something like that, it must be pretty good. I've found more significant bad things to say about: Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, Fallout 3, Crysis, GTA IV, Half-Life 2, and Chrono Trigger. I'm hard to please, and so far I'm pleased. My greatest worry is I'll end up finishing this game and running about my neighborhood beating the drunks and tweakers while wearing my body armor and black long underwear...

Comment

Yeah, it's a killer game. Voice actings good, controls are good, graphics are good. Looks good all round.

Finally, a decent summer game to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian Spire
                  I tried Batman: Arkham Asylum at Gamestop, and it really lessened my interest in the game. Combat devolved to button-mashing, with just two buttons necessary to win: punch and counter. Of course, the whole Eidos bribing reviewers thing doesn't help, either.
                  I don't know about the rest of you, but B:AA doesn't seem as interesting anymore. Of course, I might still get it eventually, just because it's still loads more interesting than most other games. And the nostalgia factor, can't forget that.

Dunna Dunna Dunna Batman

Comment

The demo is really good and about what I was hoping for. There were some spots on the demo where you could not go without explosives, which you do not have. Hopefully the full game will allow you to have those explosives.

The game control is very well done. It is obviously ported from console to PC, but that doesnt take away from all the fighting. You can taunt the enemy and get them scared. They start running around and saying different things about not being able to find you.

The graphics are very well done. I have a GTX 275 card though, which may make a big difference for that. Water, shadows, electricity all look very real. In the beginning of the demo the batmobile is flying by and leaving tread marks in the rain that then slowly disappear. Clothing looks very well done.

The only downside I saw was the environment. Its not destructable. I'm not saying you should be able to take down walls or anything, but if you hit a coffee cup with the batarang, it should shatter. Instead the batarang bounces off of it.

This is the first batman game that actually makes you feel like the Batman. You rely on your gadgets and scaring your enemies and you are an awesome fighter.

Overall, its a very fun game and I will probablly be getting it

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

how did you "scare" your enemies?

So I was in my local Walmart Friday and I went to the PS3 & found they have a different Batman: Arkham Asylum demo then the general public! It is the challenge mode that is grayed out in the demo we got, so you just fight 4 waves of henchmen, is kinda fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Manzi
                        how did you "scare" your enemies?
                        Do some type of suprise attack on them then take off while they are stunned. They start running around frantic, their heart beats climb high, and they start saying things about being attacked in the dark.

Crunch
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Played the demo yesterday, pretty fun! I don't think I'll be buying it, but it seems pretty fun.

Comment

So I finally got around to trying this demo after having it sit on my console pleading with me to play it. I was really impressed with it it seemed good, which makes me wonder why Eidos where up to their old tricks with reviewers.

Make me think what are they hiding?

Comment

Working...
                            X