Sam Raimi to Direct World of Warcraft Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Raimi to Direct World of Warcraft Movie

Yes, the world is coming to an end. It has now been confirmed that Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, Drag Me To Hell) will direct a live-action film adaptation of Blizzard's World of Warcraft. Read on for more info if you can handle it:
    Sam Raimi has signed on to direct "Warcraft," the live-action film adaptation of the fantasy videogame franchise "World of Warcraft."

Legendary Pictures and vidgame publisher Blizzard Entertainment are mounting the film, and Warner Bros. will co-finance and distribute. The team boasts an impressive pedigree: In addition to the director of "Spider-Man," the partners have added "The Dark Knight" producer Charles Roven to the creative mix.

The plan is for Raimi to supervise development of "Warcraft" and shoot the picture after he completes work on "Spider-Man 4," which gets under way early next year for Columbia Pictures.

The movie will be financed under the Legendary Pictures' co-production and co-financing deal with WB, in a manner similar to the Todd Phillips-directed "The Hangover" plus the Roven-produced "Batman Begins" and "Dark Knight."

The "Warcraft" universe features an epic conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. The game has developed a global following since its launch in 1994 and shows no signs of slowing. Its most recent expansion, "Wrath of the Lich King," sold more than 2.8 million copies in the first day of release and more than 4 million its first month.

"Warcraft" is "emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known," said Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov. The deal revives a long-dormant pact made by Legendary and Blizzard for a film adaptation of the game (Daily Variety, May 8, 2006).

"At its core, 'Warcraft' is a fantastic, action-packed story," Raimi said in a statement.

Raimi most recently directed "Drag Me to Hell."

Roven and his Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner will produce with Legendary's CEO Thomas Tull and chief creative officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and his producing partner, Joshua Donen. Rob Tapert will be executive producer, and Blizzard senior VP of creative development Chris Metzen will be co-producer.

Could the movie possibly flop because nothing, not even a movie about their favorite game, can drag WoW gamers away from their computers? Only time will tell. You can view the original article source here.

Re: Sam Raimi to Direct World of Warcraft Movie

Sam Raimi? That sounds great to me, I loved his "Hercules" and "Xena" tv series. And I think Warcraft will fit well with his brand of humor.

Plus there is always a high probability that Raimi movies will include Bruce Campbell

Comment

All im saying is that this movie better Pwn life or he is gonna have some splainin to do

Comment

At the moment I see less and lees reason to do movies about games. Games having the background of movies is something different, when I look at cinematic games like Mass Effect I lose more and more the need of movies in that style.

Comment

Originally posted by Kradath
          At the moment I see less and lees reason to do movies about games. Games having the background of movies is something different, when I look at cinematic games like Mass Effect I lose more and more the need of movies in that style.
          Yeh most games it wouldnt work but wow has a massive lore for them to play with i cant wait to see this

Comment

Uh.

WoW: The Movie.

Is it going to be 24 hours long?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
              Uh.

WoW: The Movie.

Is it going to be 24 hours long?
              No...over 9000 for sure. :awes2

Comment

Wait, so please tell me if I go to see this, I won't be watching some nerdy kid, with a bag of lays potato chips on his desk playing WoW all day long.

this is gonna phail :shakehead:

Comment

Meh this can work they have a lot of things they can toss around to play with. WoW lore goes very deep and their is definatly a move some where in it.

Comment

First 5 hours of the movie...killing small things to rank up. :laugh: Millions of people playing this game, why not make a movie about it, cha-ching!

I like Sam's movies, and yes, Bruce will in there somewhere.

Comment

This can work. Since its based off of Warcraft, the lore is huge. Im just not sure how successful it will be running off of WoW and not Warcraft

Comment

I dont think so. Hollywood is going to do some strange spin on it and go way out there or the acting is going to be terrible. Its either going to end up like the first Hulk or Street Fighter. Maybe the second Mortal Kombat, if its lucky.

LOTR it is not

Crunch
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

"Warcraft Universe" =/= WoW.

Furthermore, WoW's story is actually pretty damned good.
                          Illidan? http://www.wowwiki.com/Illidan
                          The Lich King? http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Lich_King
                          Story of yogg-saron and the old gods? http://www.wowwiki.com/Yogg-Saron

I would pretty interested to see a screen enactment of The War of the Ancients and the allegiance between Illidan and Kil'Jaeden.

The main problem with this is warcraft's lore is gigantic. The well of eternity under the maelstrom? The Emerald Dream? Frozen Throne's Arc of Arthas and Frostmourne?

It good be a very good movie, or it could fail horribly. We'll see how it works.

Also: Blizzard Official Press Release

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuujinx
                            "Warcraft Universe" =/= WoW.

Furthermore, WoW's story is actually pretty damned good.
                            Illidan? http://www.wowwiki.com/Illidan
                            The Lich King? http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Lich_King
                            Story of yogg-saron and the old gods? http://www.wowwiki.com/Yogg-Saron

I would pretty interested to see a screen enactment of The War of the Ancients and the allegiance between Illidan and Kil'Jaeden.

The main problem with this is warcraft's lore is gigantic. The well of eternity under the maelstrom? The Emerald Dream? Frozen Throne's Arc of Arthas and Frostmourne?

It good be a very good movie, or it could fail horribly. We'll see how it works.

Also: Blizzard Official Press Release
                            Well, think of it this way -- at least there are plenty of opportunities for other movies, either on the small screen or the big screen. Sequels or not, the script writers have plenty of avenues to explore; it's all up to phrasing it on paper at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Webs961
                              Well, think of it this way -- at least there are plenty of opportunities for other movies, either on the small screen or the big screen. Sequels or not, the script writers have plenty of avenues to explore; it's all up to phrasing it on paper at this point.
                              I'm hoping for the next expansion for WoW to either be about the emerald dream, or the maelstrom. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X