Congressman Kucinich Argues Against Army's Video Game Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressman Kucinich Argues Against Army's Video Game Recruiting

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) is no fan of the controversial Virtual Army Experience, a traveling, high-tech, video game-driven military recruiting program. GamePolitics reports:
    As GamePolitics reported in March, Kucinich urged the House Armed Services committee to eliminate funding for the project, charging that it "give[s] participants as young as 13 years old a naïve and unrealistic glimpse into the world of soldiering..."

In addition, Kucinich has taken the debate over the VAE to the floor of Congress. A C-SPAN video posted yesterday on YouTube shows the former presidential hopeful once again expressing concern over the recruiting program. Engaging in a colloquy with House Armed Services Committee chairman Ike Skelton (D-MO). Kucinich said:

"Children as young as 13-years-old are participating in the Virtual Army Experience, which paints an innaccurate picture of war by glorifying it while sanitizing the real effects. More than a mere video game, it includes interactions with real veterans, who appear to be in perfect health. It also requires that the user, regardless of age, share personal information as a condition of participation...

I think we can agree that the Virtual Army Experience video game must be revalidated to ensure that its age-appropriate rating is accurate in the context of how it's being employed; that the Virtual Army Experience content should be reviewed to ensure it accurately reflects the consequences of war; and that there must be increased transparency with regard to how the personal information of the participants, collected during participation, will be used by the Army."

Skelton's response is of interest in that he didn't exactly disagree with Kucinich:

"I support the VAE. At the same time, I know it can be improved. And I would be happy, of course, to work with this gentleman to address the issues that you have so aptly raised."

While we all love video games Congressman Kucinich is very correct in his statements regarding the use of funds for false military advertisement.

Re: Congressman Kucinich Argues Against Army's Video Game Recruiting

I'm guessing he couldn't enter any AA3 Servers without extreme fps lag.

Comment

Yeah, bet he was pissed off with the auth servers.

Comment

He must've been the ones who pushed for the Devs to be fired.

The bastad! ^_^

Comment

The guys right in the youtube video anyway, though I'd 99% of people playing AA3/whatever have any intention of joining up anyway and for most it's just a game and nothing more.

Comment

Working...
          X