CoD7: Vietnam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoD7: Vietnam?

As some have wondered before, including myself, could there ever be a Call of Duty set in Vietnam? There is a rumor that indicates so, and it does have some good points to back it up. Some gamers always deny that future Vietnam games will be made because of the subject matter or because previous games have failed, although I really enjoyed Battlefield: Vietnam. Call of Duty could be the franchise to make a successful Vietnam game. Treyarch has done quite well with the Japanese environments and that could lend well to a Vietnam style game. Read some info below from That Video Game Blog which has brought this rumor to the surface.
    A source we consider reliable has told TVGB that Activision is looking to license music for “Call of Duty 7,” music that gives some serious hints as to the locations the game may take us. Mentioned were Vietnam War era tunes, as well as Cuban, African, and Soviet Union music. The source says Call of Duty: World at War’s senior producer Noah Heller is involved, so it looks like Treyarch is once again developing.

Credibility to the change from WWII is added by Heller himself who last year said they “are showing the final battles of the Pacific and the European Theatre and that lets us put a close to the war. I’m sure game companies will be making World War II games for years to come and World War II is a very classic war. But we’re happy that we put the war to bed.”

While Modern Warfare 2 is still six months from release, someone under Activision already working on a new Call of Duty game isn’t very hard to believe when considering the cold hard fact that there’s been a new release in the series every single year since 2005, and Modern Warfare 2 will continue that tradition this year with its November 10 release.

While it is just a rumor at this point and time, the line from Mr. Heller of, "But we’re happy that we put the war to bed” is a convincing point that Treyarch is probably moving to some other war besides WWII. What are your thoughts? Confederates or Yankee zombies anyone? Vietnamese, Cuban, or Russian Zombies? Treyarch is usually creative with their games, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks to BASHandSLASH for the heads up on the article.

Source

Re: CoD7: Vietnam?

Vietnam Call of Duty would be epic!

Comment

We really need a Vietnam game

Comment

It makes sense. There are not a lot of GOOD Vietnam games and the war really does have a great history behind it.

Yeah, it was a black eye to everyone involved, but I think everyone understands that its a war game.

If they did do another WW2 game, what would it be based on? A lot of the popular weapons are in use now and what perks could really change? By moving up the timeline 25 years or so, you have different weapons with a different enemy in a different part of the world with a different conflict.

Hope the rumor is true.

Crunch
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

lol sounds cool i cant wait. and ye.... i agree with u guys we need a good Vietnam game, and tbh treyarch despite all the criticisms they get, managed to pull off some great locations in waw. the graphics in that game are arguably better than cod 4's. The jungle style of makin and the new map knee deep, sure prove that

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing some Korean War temed games.

Vietnam's nice for a change from the usual fare.

Comment

I'd love to see a Vietnam or Korea CoD. The campaign would be awesome if they did it right.

Comment

As much as I have promoted WWII games, and they have been my fav for about 7 years now, I do feel finally like I could move on from them. BUT, one of the biggest reasons I have promoted the WWII games over modern is b/c I want to use a rifle, bolt action...without a scope. SO, realism or not, whatever period, give me some type of single shot weapon without a scope!

And from my little knowledge of the Vietnam war (conflict for the technical people out there), there were some bolt action rifles that were used. If CoD7: Vietnam would include those as part of the gameplay, I would fully give my support and promote that game!

Comment

Then Korea might be right for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                    Then Korea might be right for you.
                    You may be correct. Do you think it would get as much attention from gamers as a Vietnam game would? Korea wasn't 'as big' as Vietnam in the public's eye, but that could be a good thing also. The WWII games brought the WWII history to the public's eye again. Especially, for people like me who then got interested in the history of the war and has read multiple books and has seen multiple tv shows, movies, etc b/c of my interest from the games. Maybe then, the Korean War's history would have some light shed on it for those who aren't familiar with it.

Comment

Vietnam and Vietnam2 are good games, besides Treyarch make a good video games, well, games, but ok PC games.

But, let see what comes.

Comment

I just can't see a game based on the Korean War doing well. Other than M*A*S*H*, not much has been produced giving the public an introduction to it. And, as we have seen with WWII games, it is getting harder and harder to "go back in time" as gamers are getting younger - most of whom are not war/history buffs.

I think Vietnam may just be the "sweet spot", however, in terms of going backwards in time. It's a little more recent, but highly publicized in movies and television, not to mention the strong opinions many veterans or activists (who aren't yet very old) still have about it. Jungle warfare is spooky, making for great atmosphere. Weapons were more modern than WWII-era, but did not yet have all the fancy sights and attachments that are in games like COD4...that combination might just be enough to bridge the gap between the WWII and Modern Day fans. And let's not forget the power of the music of that era. It's a very important piece, IMO, to the success of a Vietnam-based game. My old clan played BF:V a lot at first, and loved the atmosphere...the game itself just didn't suit everyone...but everyone loved and commented on the music.

I think this could indeed work quite well.

I also hope they eventually consider a game set during the Cold War of the 80's. So many semi-fictional storylines could be told, and MP maps constructed representing a lot of locations. The US military at or near its peak in terms of power, vs the massive armies of the Soviet Bear...weapons/vehicles a little more advanced, but still not uber-technical. I think it would make for a great slugfest.

Comment

The horror... the horror...

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
                            I also hope they eventually consider a game set during the Cold War of the 80's. So many semi-fictional storylines could be told, and MP maps constructed representing a lot of locations. The US military at or near its peak in terms of power, vs the massive armies of the Soviet Bear...weapons/vehicles a little more advanced, but still not uber-technical. I think it would make for a great slugfest.
                            with the cold war, doing the afghanistan/russia conflict would be pretty sweet, but doing WiC style would be epic as well

Comment

Well, I've never played a game situated in Vietnam, so this could be cool.

Still only a rumor though.

Comment

Working...
                              X