Eternal Silence Rate Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternal Silence Rate Fix

A little patch for Eternal Silence has been released which fixes some issues with network performance.
    Hey All,

I've been doing some research, and I think I've found out why the network code has been behaving so oddly since our Steam release. The network rate setting for clients seems to default to a value of 3500. According to Valve: For Internet games the only console variable that should be adjusted on the client is "rate", which defines your available bytes/second bandwidth of your network connection. Good values for "rate" is 4500 for modems, 6000 for ISDN, 10000 DSL and above.

This means that for some reason, Eternal Silence is configured to accept less traffic than a modem by default. Changing your "rate" console variable to something more appropriate to your connection will GREATLY increase your network performance. Because the "rate" is set so low, servers have been aggressively throttling all connections to prevent lag (even though the connections can handle many times more traffic).

I am working with Valve to find a global fix for this now. Those of you savvy enough to use the console can benefit from it right away.

UPDATE: Patch has been posted. You should be getting it automatically.

The game will automatically update through Steam.
Working...
X