Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motherboard Chip = The End of Video Game Piracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Chip = The End of Video Game Piracy?

Shacknews has posted up an interview with Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell in which they discuss game piracy, and a possible solution to the problem.
    According to a GamesIndustry report, Bushnell said "There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now."

"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world--which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords--which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem." Bushnell added.

Video Game piracy has been particularly highlighted recently with id, Crytek and Epic all claiming that because of internet-based piracy, they have been forced to put games onto consoles, where piracy is less rampant and harder to use. Bushnell went on to suggest that movie and music piracy will likely continue, game markets made previously inaccessible due to piracy issues will begin to flourish as the chip's install base grows.

However, the industry has heard such promises before, and determined 'pirates' always seem to find away around it. Could this be the death sentence of Video Game Piracy or is the man who created Pong and Chuck E. Cheese just spinning lines?
    You can read other TGN articles on software piracy here and here.

Re: Motherboard Chip = The End of Video Game Piracy?

Wow, thats interesting. I doubt it'll happen though.

Comment

Interesting news, hope they go all the way.

Comment

The pirates will figure out another way of doing it then

Comment

Of course they will.

Comment

Good read. I hope they find a way to stop piracy.

Comment

Wouldn't they just simply purchase an old motherboard or just use their current one?

Comment

I say screw em...some have tried their best to prevent piracy when infact it will never go away. In some respects I believe they have in fact made money from the piracy issue...look at it this way, same thing with the Napster deal aways back. People who downloaded the mp3's went out and bought the music at some point because the really liked it. Same with pc games ( for most) I admit I have had "pirated" games in the past...If i liked it enough I went and bought it! If I didnt like it...I deleted it!

Yes, I know "thats what a demo is for"...BS...A demo is not the entire game but a map or 2 and thats it, it does not let you get a good enough feel for it....you wouldnt buy a car brand new without test driving for a few days would you?...(yes dealers will let you take it for a few days if they know you are interested. Unlike most console games Pc games with key codes will not let you return a game if you dont like it.

But the "debate can go on forever this is just my view and it does not reflect the views of the community or anyone else...in essence..if you like it enough...buy it...but never feel afraid to try it first....be a smart consumer I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam1990 View Post
                  Wouldn't they just simply purchase an old motherboard or just use their current one?
                  Yeah, but eventually motherboards break, and if the unchipped motherboards are less and less, more people would the chipped ones.

It's a fail idea, TBH.

Comment

So If they can stop piracy, how about a key on the same chip that stops hacking?

Thanks!

~{HHx}b14ze

Comment

which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords-
                      Anything is crackable or able to be worked around

Comment

Steam, when will they listen!

Comment

Those who say that nothing is 100% uncrackable are quite right...but the idea here is to make it so difficult that only a very small percentage of users would be able do it (while at the same time, not making it too inconvenient for the average user to actually play the game). It's similar to putting "The Club" or another anti-theft device on your car...sure, a thief can get through it, but it's easier for them to target an unprotected vehicle instead of the time and effort on yours.

Whether or not this particular method is "the answer", it's good to see game makers finally putting some planning into this, instead of just complaining about it.

Digital systems like Steam may well be how it eventually goes, but most users still prefer a physical disc copy of media (games, movies, etc) that they buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
                            Yeah, but eventually motherboards break, and if the unchipped motherboards are less and less, more people would the chipped ones.

It's a fail idea, TBH.
                            Start buying unchipped mothers boards and then you can start selling them on eBay later on for lots of cash! :laugh:

Comment

This is a good idea - if they can mandate it to all motherboard creators.

Comment

Working...
                              X