X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing before even installing

I have a huge problem with BF2.

It won't install.

I get the auto run menu up, and hit install, and this happens after the screen that says "Install Shield will guide you through this installation"

It just flashes that for a second. I was barely able to get the screenshot.

Re: Crashing before even installing

hmm...does everything having to do iwth the installation close?

system specs?

Comment

Originally posted by Carpenter100
      I have a huge problem with BF2.

It won't install.

I get the auto run menu up, and hit install, and this happens after the screen that says "Install Shield will guide you through this installation"

It just flashes that for a second. I was barely able to get the screenshot.
      Let me ask you, did you have it installed before or is this the first install?
      If it is your second install you have to clean out the old registry keys. If not you need to post your system specs.

Comment

also make sure anti-virus stuff and the like is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by BadLizzard
          Let me ask you, did you have it installed before or is this the first install?
          If it is your second install you have to clean out the old registry keys. If not you need to post your system specs.
          i had this problem, and yes it is the second install, and i know i also did do something with the registry a while ago (cant remember if i undid it) to try and install patch. but how would i clean out the old reg keys...it's really bugging me

also, FYI, i have the same problem with the BF2 Demo installer, and the BF2 uninstaller (as i think the game is installed, but does thes ctd, with that splash screen, then teal, then ctd).

i'm pretty sure this is my problem, the registries, so how do i fix that?

Comment

This is second install.

And what are registry keys?

Comment

Yea what tsetse said, make sure all anti-virus programs are closed. Also make sure you dont have alot of background process running.

Comment

Well as of about an hour ago I have the same issue; I was posting to the topic for:"cant' even start the game" which ocurred following a "invalid CD key error and morphed to game crashing at the start; Now that I have removed every reference to BF2 and tried to re-install; the install is crashing. I am starting to hate EA...their tech support stinks. So if anyone has anything valuable to contribute I would appreciate it.
                P.S. the game was working fine for 8+ months. I ran Reg Clean and corrected all the errors in my registry but still no luck! This whole thing started when I changed my password on my Win XP account.
                *************HELP*ME**I've fallen an I cant get up!! **************

Comment

There is a post on EA's forum which says which keys to delete, I will go look for it now.

*edit, here you go

Code:
                  You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry keys associated with it.  Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they appear to prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.

note: To manually uninstall the Battlefield 2: Euro Force booster pack you must do a complete uninstall of Battlefield 2 from your system.

To delete the save files:

1.      Open My Documents.
                     2.      Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.

To delete the game files (in the default location):

1.   Open My Computer.
                     2.   Open the C drive.
                     3.   Open the Program Files folder.
                     4.   Open the EA GAMES folder.
                     5.   Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
                     6.   Close all open windows.
                     7.   Right-click on the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.

To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:

1.     Click on the Start button.
                     2.     Click on Run.
                     3.     Type regedit in the text field.
                     4.     Click File and then choose Export.
                     5.     Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
                     6.     Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
                     7.     Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
                     8.     Click the plus sign next to Software.
                     9.     Click the plus sign next to DICE.
                    10      Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
                    11.     Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
                    12.     Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
                    13.     Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
                    14.     Click the plus sign next to Windows.
                    15.     Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
                    16.     Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
                    17.     Right-click on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} andchoose Delete.
                    18.      A Confirm Key Delete window will appear, choose Yes.
                    19.      Close the WindowsRegistry Editor.

Battlefield 2 is now completely removed from your system.

Comment

thank you so much now let me see if i can reinstall it (i also deleted the registry folder for BF2 demo as well)

EDIT: yes it works now, thank you

now i just have to patch it...

Comment

Re: Crashing before even installing-THIS IS THE FIX!!

This worked great! Thanks so much BadLizzard; You deserve a beer! I owe you one! One of the most helpful pieces of advise I have gotten off a forum. I was getting really PO'd at EA... You would think that they would make this fix easy to find on their support page! Their customer support needs some serious help! It is unbelievable that you have to go into the registry to fix this. I suspected this was a reg problem and had removed all the BF2 stuff from the Electronic Arts section but I didn't even think to check for entries under Dice or the Uninstall section. Yesterday I even went out and bought regclean for $30 (which used to be freeware in the Win 98 days). Anyway I have a clean registry now and BF2 is working great. So hats off to you!

Comment

Glad to be of help, I had to do this myself recently so I know how frustrating it can be.

Comment

Working...
                        X