New monitor, no Battlefield 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor, no Battlefield 2!

I got a new monitor today, a Viewsonic LCD VP920b to replace my old, crummy CRT. I hurried home, installed it, adjusted my resolution to match the monitor's native resolution 1280x1024 and everything looked great.

I then started BF2 and had sound but no video. If I let it play, it goes through the whole intro and then takes me to the log in screen. I can't see any of this but can hear it all.

I tried going into my video.con files and changed the resolution under both profile 0001 and 0002 to match my monitor, shut down and restarted. Same result - I have sound, the game is loading but no video.

I shut down, restarted, defragged and restarted again, same result.

I'm running:
    2.8 P4
    1.5 gigs of RAM
    eVGA GeForce 6800, connecting to monitor with DVI

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I bought the monitor solely for Battlefield and am absolutely salivating over the prospects of playing. Thanks in advance - I've learned a ton here....

Re: New monitor, no Battlefield 2!

I would love to help, but try simple things first. Try the cables, make sure they're connected and not damaged, then maybe phone the manufacturer and say you have a faulty product. That's all I got.

P.S. If they ask somethign you didn't do yet,never tell them so, or else they won't believe your expertise or sometimes won't allow you to have a refund.

Comment

okay, 2 things:
      I have heard of moniter drivers from some guy here, if your moniter came with any I would suggest installing those.
      if not
      make sure the refresh rates are good, some moniters dont support some refresh rates. do you know what your moniter is at now? and what it is set to ingame for Reso. and RR?

Comment

I read the answer here somewhere--it goes like "make sure that when you hook up your new monitor, it has a refresh rate supported by bf2." In other words, if the monitor isn't capable of turning screens as fast as the refresh rate you set it at in game, it will just go blank.

Solution, (again, if I remember correctly) was that the guy either had to reinstall BF2, defaulting it to the lowest settings, or he hooked up his previous monitor, reduced the setting to min, then hooked up the new monitor, and adjusted from there.)

I'm going to poke around to see if I find out anything else. If I do, I'll bump the thread with the info...but I've had about three fingers of scotch, and I've got about a fist of it staring at me...

I'll try to remember!

Good luck...

[edit begins here]

bump, bump, bump...

I searched for "refresh rate reinstall". That's the problem with searching the help forums!!! You already have to know what the answer looks like to find it.

Good luck

p.s. pay no atentiaion to the pink oli--*hiccup*--elepha--*hiccup*--avatar

[edit 2] you might try this one, too; much less painful than monitor swaps and reinstalling bf2, but the guy never said if it worked or not.

Comment

there was a similar thread about this.

has something to do with refresh rates and resolutions. hook up your old monitor again, and open up bf2, and set the resolution and refresh rates at 800x600 and 60hz.

then hook up the new monitor, and bf2 should work, you can then change bf2 back to whatever settings you want.

Comment

Originally posted by sarb
            has something to do with refresh rates and resolutions. hook up your old monitor again, and open up bf2, and set the resolution and refresh rates at 800x600 and 60hz.

then hook up the new monitor, and bf2 should work, you can then change bf2 back to whatever settings you want.
            That is correct. The issue is that BF2 is still stuck trying to display at the old settings from the old monitor. You need to reset BF2 to its default video setings, then hookup the new monitor, open BF2, and adjust your video settings back to what you want.

We're all saying the same thing, just giving you different information about it.

Comment

the answer is simple(i been in same situation)

put you old moniter back in,load up bf2 set the res to 800x600 and 60hz<--yes 60hrz

then load up a singleplayer game so it optimizes,quit off .
              turn of pc intall new moniter ,load up bf2 change youre res,ta da it works.

ignore things like "its cables ect" you would not even see a bios scrren if it was that.

good luck and please let us no if it works for you,(i no it will)

Comment

If by chance a CRT goes bad and you replace it with a LCD, then you can do the following to run BF2.

1. Delete the files in your profiles cache. Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache" and "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\xpack\cache" and delete the files/directories in both locations. These are the old video optimization files, which you will recreate for your new monitor.

2. In your player profile (usually profile 0002, check the profile.con file for the name assigned to the profile), open the video.con file and change the following line to:

VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz

(NOTE - Set the "default" profile video.con to VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz also, just in case you use the default for some reason)

3. Start BF2 and login normally. Go in and change your settings to whatever the new monitor supports.

4. Start a single player game so that your new video settings are optimized. If you have SF installed, also run a single player night map. These take time so do it in single player rather than on a pub server.

5. Have fun with your new monitor.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions - several of you hit the problem right on the head. My solution was to hook up the old CRT, go into BF2, change the resolution and refresh rate to match my new monitor, log out, hook up the new monitor open BF2 and play away. Thanks again for all of the quick help - I missed minimal time playing thanks to you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by KTown77419
                    Thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions - several of you hit the problem right on the head. My solution was to hook up the old CRT, go into BF2, change the resolution and refresh rate to match my new monitor, log out, hook up the new monitor open BF2 and play away. Thanks again for all of the quick help - I missed minimal time playing thanks to you guys!

no problems ,glad my advice help.
                    enjoy youre new screen

Comment

Working...
                    X