Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram vs. CPU speed

Ok...i have some cash now...
    I want to buy BF2...what is better to run it?

1.cpu speed 3.0 GHZ
    512 RAM
    Nvidia Gforce 5700-256 MB
    -= OR =-
    2.CPU speed 2.0 GHZ
    1 GB RAM
    Nvidia Gforce 5700-256 MB

What is better for medum graphic?

Re: Ram vs. CPU speed

It would be helpful if you said what cpu, If its AMD 64 then 2.0 is an ok speed for medium settings.

Comment

a better graphics card, for starters, at least a 6600GT and 1gb of ram for medium to run smooth. Games are more graphics and ram demanding than CPU demanding. 2ghz isn't that bad.

Comment

Give us the specs if you actually want any useful feedback. Before anyone starts telling him what to do lets make sure this isnt a 2ghz willamette, running 1GB of SDRAM with a PCI FX5700.

Comment

BF2 is CPU bound, as well as GPU bound. As for loading time, it's quite memory bound.

My PC is an AthlonXP 2200+ roughly equivalent to 1.8GHz, that is measured on the AMD scale thus faster than that of Intel.

It runs pretty well when I am playing in a 32 players server. On a 50 player server, it also runs smoothly. When there are say 10 players in the same screen, it becomes slightly laggy but still very playable. On a 64 player servers, even there are just 5 to 6 players in the screen, it becomes quite laggy and somehow unplayable. My video card is merely a 5900XT with 128MB RAM. All I am talking about is on medium setting defaulted by the game actually.

I would suggest, if you are on a tight budget, confine yourself to smaller player servers. There are people who run 50 or 40 player servers. 32 player server to me, is less fun 16 ppl on each side. You don't get much fun unless you play with at least 20 ppl on each side.

If you can spend a little bit more, I would suggest you to get a AMD CPU. One at Athlon64 3200 is just about right for BF2 for the years to come. Your video card is pretty important. Get a 6600GT at least. RAM must be 1024GB. I have only 768MB and the loading time upsets me sometimes.

Comment

Download the demo and see.
            http://www.download.com/Battlefield-...-10404526.html

Comment

OK...
              But you dont answer my question.
              I cant buy all ...just- 1GB ram/video card/CPU intel .
              What is more effective to my computer.

Comment

d/l demo still think a better card

Comment

he he win the lottery and burn the pc

only jokin go for the ram 512mb doesnt even run low very good at least with 1024mb you wont waste your life away waiting for the map for finish loading

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant
                    he he win the lottery and burn the pc only jokin go for the ram 512mb doesnt even run low very good at least with 1024mb you wont waste your life away waiting for the map for finish loading
                    512MB is not sufficient. The trouble of BF2 is that the game doesn't know how to release memory. You can check the memory usage from the Task Manager. If you are playing it for over an hour or so, you will see the hard drive start revolving which basically means onboard memory is running short and the system is "borrowing" hard disk swap file as an alternative to simulate memory. That is what happen in mycase, I have only 768MB memory and I wish I had 1024MB.
                    In fact, 1024MB is merely a minimum. In the long run, you should get 2048 (ie.e 2GB ) memory.

Comment

ram ismore inprotand i'd say.
                      but if u can get 1G of ram and a 6600GT. its what i have and runs the game great

Comment

I also have this problem. Sometimes I can run Bf2, at other times it simply refuses to play. At the moment I have:
                        AMD Athlon XP 1.91Ghz
                        512Mb RAM
                        ATI Radeon 9550 256Mb

I have a limited budget of £200. What do I go for?
                        I'm thinking a nice 6600GT would be ok, with at least a gig of RAM. Or should I be updating the processor?

Comment

512MB of ram, 3GHz P4 & ATI 9700 128MB graphics card will run BF2 on low no problem, I know because thats what I was running for about 2 months.

Buzzsaw save up your money for ET:QW, with that budget its probably the best route.

Comment

Sorry....what is ET:QW?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw
                              Sorry....what is ET:QW?
                              Enemy Territory: Quake Wars:

Comment

Working...
                              X