Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BF2 Corrupted my hard drive for 3rd time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Corrupted my hard drive for 3rd time??

Ok, i am very angry right now at the BF2 game that i love. And i am looking for some technical advice to avoid this occurance for the 3rd time...

In November, my computer froze during BF2 Special Forces game play. When i rebooted, i got this blue screen error saying some of the windows drivers are corrupted and need to be reinstalled. Long story short, i tried everything with Dell support to resolve. It the end, Dell had to send me a new hard drive. So i reinstalled everything onto my new hard drive and began playing BF2 again.

In February, while playing BF2 Vanilla, my computer froze and when i rebooted it game me another corruption error. Like with the first issue, Dell tried everyting and i had to buy a new hard drive again!

This third time around i got lazy and only installed Windows XP Professional and BF2. No microsoft office, no acrobate or dreamweaver or any other program except BF2.

Yesterday (April 4th), i was playing BF2 Vanilla and again my computer froze and now i am getting another hard drive corruption.

Summary: Since i began playing BF2 Vanilla and Special Forces, i have gotten my hard drive corrupted during game play a total of 3 times.

Each time i worked with Dell support to reinstall the drivers and it ended up i had to replace the entire hard drive. These 250gig Sata hard drives arent cheap!

Anyway, while i am addicted to BF2, i am finding major problems with it. The patches always cause problems, the game corrupted three brand new hard drives and EA doesnt seem to support or listen to consumers.

So i think im going to call it quits with BF2 and EA.

Re: BF2 Corrupted my hard drive for 3rd time??

Well try to disbale any Anti virus when your playing.

And also i think you problem is the pc is a DELL, and i bet the hard drives are some cheap thing that needs shooting (but ur paying alot). My opinoun is go out and buy your self a western digital hard drive and that MAY sort it. As you will see all us hard core gamers use brand name exspensive HD's and we never have a problem.

And by anychance are you resetting th pc by the power button or plug. If so DONT this will currupt your hard drive and damage other components. If its crashing try and get out of it with ctrl alt del.

On the other hand the game maybe freezing and your just not investigating it and just turning it off (serves you right really). If so post your pc specs. Makesure your PC is clear of Spyware and try using upto date drivers!

Comment

I'll have to agree that Dell is probably using some sort of cheeseball harddrive in there. Just get rid of it and purchase a Western Digital or a Seagate. You can get a SATA drive at around 200-300gigs for about $90 if you go OEM.

Comment

I'm curious as to what motherboard you are running.. is it using a nVidia nForce2 chipset?

If it is, is it using the Sil 3112 Serial ATA host controller chip?

The Sil 3112 Serial ATA host controller chip that came with some nForce2 motherboards was known for having a bug in the firmware that often trashed connected SATA drives (was fixed by a bios update for the Sil 3112 if I remember correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by S.A.S
          i think you problem is the pc is a DELL, and i bet the hard drives are some cheap thing that needs shooting (but ur paying alot). My opinoun is go out and buy your self a western digital hard drive

My Dell came with a Western Digital Caviar SATA 160GiG Hard Drive. That was what crashed the first time.

I then bought a Maxtor Ultra Sata 250GB Hard Drive. Thats what crashed recently.

so i dont think its the brand. I was also only running BF2 and Windows XP Pro on the last installation (nothing else installed on hard drive)

Comment

Have you ever seen another post on any BF2 site where someone has had the same problem?

My suspicion is that BF2 has nothing to do with it at all. Are you using any sort of "System Mechanic" software, like the stuff from Norton? They have this "One Click Checkup" thing which is almost guaranteed to eventually hose things on your system, because it screws with the registry regularly.

Comment

Reformat everything, make a 20GB partition for windows xp and any files that have to be installed for windows no games, movies, pictures, or any personal files. then make another partition for games, movies/pictures, and programs.

I have done this and I have not recieved any problems. It is not battlefield 2 it is windows xp. If you keep them seperate they will work.

What type of graphics card do you have.

Comment

I agree, I would sincerely doubt this has anything to do with BF2. There are alots of other things that can be causing this, that might be triggered by you playing BF2 but not the direct result of it. For example, incompatibilities between feature sets on motherboards and hard drives can often lead to incremental data corruption. These pile up and eventually bring the system down. The application running at the time is responsible only insofar as it was reading/writing and so triggered the final fatal data corruption.

Why is Dell sending you new drives? If you have corrupted data why don't you just restore/reinstall? No backup disks?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeartSmasher
                  Reformat everything, make a 20GB partition for windows xp and any files that have to be installed for windows no games, movies, pictures, or any personal files. then make another partition for games, movies/pictures, and programs.

It is not battlefield 2 it is windows xp. If you keep them seperate they will work.

Since i have two hard drives, what if i just install programs onto the second slave drive and use my primary drive only for windows operations?

Originally posted by cheesewz
                  Are you using any sort of "System Mechanic" software, like the stuff from Norton? They have this "One Click Checkup" thing which is almost guaranteed to eventually hose things on your system, because it screws with the registry regularly.

I use Norton Internet Security. But, i dont use any disk utility type stuff. just Antivirus and firewall.

What i dont understand is that it happened on two different hard drives (of two different manufacturers). This last time, the problem occured with only XP Professional, Norton Internet Security and BF2 installed. No other programs running.

Comment

Originally posted by subzero extreme
                    Since i have two hard drives, what if i just install programs onto the second slave drive and use my primary drive only for windows operations?
                    That is a good setup for two drives. OS on one drive and everything else on the other. Reduces I/O contention.

Man, I'm mystified by this issue. I'd be really surprised if BF2 were the culprit. Did you ever find another thread on this or EA's forum saying the same thing?

What other software do you have? I'm reluctant to believe you're only running Windows, BF2 and Norton Internet (which you don't need anyway). Tell me that you aren't doing Kazaa or E-donkey.

Comment

could be linked to anything, heat issues, cheap qtec power supplies anything really.

really need a full spec.

Comment

But you don't need to do that just partition the drive so windows is seperated from everything else. Doing it the way you are thinking is a waste of good space.

Comment

Originally posted by subzero extreme
                          Ok, i am very angry right now at the BF2 game that i love. And i am looking for some technical advice to avoid this occurance for the 3rd time...

In November, my computer froze during BF2 Special Forces game play. When i rebooted, i got this blue screen error saying some of the windows drivers are corrupted and need to be reinstalled. Long story short, i tried everything with Dell support to resolve. It the end, Dell had to send me a new hard drive. So i reinstalled everything onto my new hard drive and began playing BF2 again.

In February, while playing BF2 Vanilla, my computer froze and when i rebooted it game me another corruption error. Like with the first issue, Dell tried everyting and i had to buy a new hard drive again!

This third time around i got lazy and only installed Windows XP Professional and BF2. No microsoft office, no acrobate or dreamweaver or any other program except BF2.

Yesterday (April 4th), i was playing BF2 Vanilla and again my computer froze and now i am getting another hard drive corruption.

Summary: Since i began playing BF2 Vanilla and Special Forces, i have gotten my hard drive corrupted during game play a total of 3 times.

Each time i worked with Dell support to reinstall the drivers and it ended up i had to replace the entire hard drive. These 250gig Sata hard drives arent cheap!

Anyway, while i am addicted to BF2, i am finding major problems with it. The patches always cause problems, the game corrupted three brand new hard drives and EA doesnt seem to support or listen to consumers.

So i think im going to call it quits with BF2 and EA.
                          do you ever defrag youre hardrive??
                          if not then you can expect further problems,
                          tip.
                          defrag every 2 days to keep youre pc running sweet.
                          a un-defrag hardrive is a unheathy harddrive.

one personal experiance of mine..................

a freind of mine had a WD 160g hardrive that he never defraged for 8 months,it took 3 days to get to 98%.
                          in the end he had to put a new one in.

now he defrags regularly and it takes about 20-30 mins.
                          hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by blade.verzilli TF
                            do you ever defrag youre hardrive??
                            if not then you can expect further problems,
                            tip.
                            defrag every 2 days to keep youre pc running sweet.
                            a un-defrag hardrive is a unheathy harddrive.

one personal experiance of mine..................

a freind of mine had a WD 160g hardrive that he never defraged for 8 months,it took 3 days to get to 98%.
                            in the end he had to put a new one in.

now he defrags regularly and it takes about 20-30 mins.
                            hope this helps
                            20 to 30 min, damn that's either a huge drive with alot of stuff, or a really slow drive,

Comment

Originally posted by papi4baby
                              20 to 30 min, damn that's either a huge drive with alot of stuff, or a really slow drive,
                              yeh its full 80g of music ect,personaly i use two 40g hd and it only takes a few mins to defrag

Comment

Working...
                              X