VOIP on realtek onboard audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOIP on realtek onboard audio

thought this info might be helpful for those with realtek audio and having problems with the voip

this is found on the ea support website

Question Why does VOIP become disabled during gameplay?
    Answer On systems with the onboard Realtek AC97 sound device, the VOIP functionality may become disabled during gameplay. When this occurs, the VOIP option becomes unchecked and cannot be rechecked while in the sound menu until you disconnect from the current game.
    This is due to a hardware compatibility issue. Adjusting your hardware acceleration or updating your drivers may help resolve this issue. If it does not, you will need to disconnect and reconnect from the game in order to restore VOIP functionality.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-1.aspx

Often time sound distortions or repetitive glitches can be the cause of a bigger problem. Sound driver conflicts can be linked to not just sound distortions and glitches but random and specific crashes during a game. You can temporarily disable some of the advanced audio processing techniques to try and bypass these issues by lowering your DirectX sound acceleration. To lower your sound acceleration, do the following:
    1. Click Start.
    2. Click Run.
    3. Type in DXDIAG into the available text field, and press OK.
    4. Once the DirectX Diagnostic tool has loaded, click on the Sound tab.
      1. This tab will show you your sound device and drivers.
      2. Warning : Should this tab be blank, refer to your computer manufacturer for the proper sound drivers.
    5. In the DirectX Features section, adjust the slide bar from where it is currently to Basic acceleration.
      1. Warning : This may disable advanced audio features which worked previously in other games. Should you notice a negative change in any other game, simply change the acceleration level back to where it was or to Full Acceleration.
    6. Click the Exit button.
    7. Start your game, and verify that the game now works properly.

Re: VOIP on realtek onboard audio

Thanks for this, it is addressing the exact problem I have been having, and it seems that it occurs for everone with AC97 onboard soundcards.

I was going to add that voip works once when you set it up properly. Then after using it once, it shuts off. Either way, you addressed this.

Thanks for the concise post and I hope the drivers fix it (I am getting them now). I might let you know how it goes.

Comment

note: i found all the recent realtek drivers (above 3.61) upto 3.85 to not properly work under EAX

maybe just my cheapo asrock dual939 board, or maybe not. but it certainly would explain why asrock.com only list 3.61 on their website (2004 version)

Comment

Well I d/l'd their latest drivers (3-21-06) from the Realtek site, and now voip works, but with EAX disabled. No drops now.

Comment

updating my drivers worked for me.
          "Crunch's First Officer"
          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Thanks for the posts, was having a nightmare over the same problem!

Thanks,
            MiniButch

Comment

EAX provides no benefit unless you have a Creative soundcard, so there is not reason to keep it enabled anyway.

All this said, you guys should think about picking up a cheap Creative card, like an Audigy, wich DOES support EAX. The difference in overall sound quality is exraordinary compared to onboard sound. In addition, the positional dimension to the sound makes a huge difference in being able to figure out where an enemy is, where shots are being fired from, etc. It is really a night and day difference. Lastly, offloading the sound processing from your mobo to a dedicated card improves overall game performance, actually contributing to better framerates.

Best $50 you will ever spend to improve your gaming experience, trust me.

Comment

ok i am d/l the driver's since i am pulling my hair out over my voip problems,,,god bless totalbf2 forums.

This did not seem to fix my problem......I have problems in game with my sound blaster card as well.....it works in every program i have except BF2.....any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X