Just to clear a AA-lock issue up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to clear a AA-lock issue up

If you're in a heli/jet and you get a lock on warning, does getting hit depend on you releasing flares before they fire a missle?

I've been hit and killed a couple of times even though I was flaring which suggests to me that whoever fired the missle, got a lock and fired before I released flares.

So do missles fired on a lock not react to flares? I thought the idea was to have a missle coming towards you put off by the flares.

I suppose you could argue that there are only about 6 flares released so the odds of the missle going for you is only a 1 in 7 chance even if what I believe is the case. But does anybody know for sure?

Re: Just to clear a AA-lock issue up

The AA is supposed to respond to flares only if the lock senses them. Just like it responds to anything with heat.

Comment

so you're saying if somebody locks on, fires a missle and THEN I release flares, I don't stand a chance?

Comment

the new missles have a much smaller seek window
        like looking through a telescope vs binoculars
        so. if flares are out of window too soon, the are worthless

Comment

That's a good point. It would make sense to me - I've been hit a couple times while flaring. I hope they made missles with a little more sophistication than that, though.

Comment

Well it seems to me now that no matter what one of the two missiles will always hit you now. While in a heli, I have no idea what its like in planes, i presume it just doesnt hit them at all

Comment

Originally posted by Chowley
              Well it seems to me now that no matter what one of the two missiles will always hit you now. While in a heli, I have no idea what its like in planes, i presume it just doesnt hit them at all
              If you release flares just before or just after they achieve solid tone and then dive at the same speed the flares fall it's very unlikely that the missile will hit you. Too bad you can't always afford to lose a few hundret feet of altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelar10
                If you're in a heli/jet and you get a lock on warning, does getting hit depend on you releasing flares before they fire a missle?

I've been hit and killed a couple of times even though I was flaring which suggests to me that whoever fired the missle, got a lock and fired before I released flares.

So do missles fired on a lock not react to flares? I thought the idea was to have a missle coming towards you put off by the flares.

I suppose you could argue that there are only about 6 flares released so the odds of the missle going for you is only a 1 in 7 chance even if what I believe is the case. But does anybody know for sure?
                The lock on warning X just tells you they have a lock on you. Not that they have fired a missle. So, if you get the warning and release flares, they just have to simply wait for the flares to fade out and then fire. That is what I do.

Comment

Working...
                X