Drive to burn dvds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive to burn dvds

Quick question, my brother wants to buy a drive for our computer that can burn onto a dvd. We want to be able to rip a dvd movie onto the comp then put them on a dvd. Can someone point me out to what kind of drive does this? I already have the software and everything. Maybe from newegg or something and if u find one could u plz tell me what cables and stuff he will have to buy. Thanks in advance

Re: Drive to burn dvds

Buy NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

this one will do the job and isn't too expensive

Comment

I use one just like this to do what you're talking about:

Buy Pioneer Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 5X DVD-RAM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

DVDshrink and nero are your friends, though *cough, cough* you are only supposed to make one backup copy for your personal use, in case the original breaks. So says the DMCA. And I certainly wouldn't argue in person with those folks.

edit: it also comes in a beige flavor, in case the black doesn't match your computer case. or shoes. or whatever.

Comment

Thanks alot guys. Does anyone know what cords i need to buy if i where to use this on or will the cords i have now work?
        Buy NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

And will i need to do anything in the bios? If so could someone tell me how to do that? How do i know if they are compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by annihilate.m4
          Thanks alot guys. Does anyone know what cords i need to buy if i where to use this on or will the cords i have now work?

And will i need to do anything in the bios? If so could someone tell me how to do that? How do i know if they are compatible?
          You need an eide cable. It needs to say "133" (not "leet"), but as in ATA133. You PROBABLY already have one--check your computer, and if you have one eide cable/ribbon plugged into your hard drive, and one plugged into your current optical drive, then no sweat--there are two places to plug in drives on both cables. If you have ONE eide cable/ribbon plugged into BOTH your current hard drive and optical drive, then you will need another cable.

See...it all depends on how you're already set up.

As for changes to the bios--no, it will autodetect unless you've got your secondary eide turned off.

When you plug the eide cable into your dvdrom, you will find out whether you need to change anything. If it autodetects, fine and dandy. If it doesn't, you need to move one of the jumpers (small, black plastic pieces on the back, usually around where the power plugs in) to the spot that say "CS", or "Cable select". Or to another setting...again, depending on your setup.

Comment

So when i do all this i dont take out the dvd-rom drive, i take out the CD-RW drive and put it there?

Comment

Originally posted by annihilate.m4
              So when i do all this i dont take out the dvd-rom drive, i take out the CD-RW drive and put it there?
              (Smacks my forehead!)

If you want detailed answers, detailed questions help.

For each cable plugged into your motherboard, you have TWO connectors going out. That is why you can run a total of FOUR devices using only TWO Mother Board inputs (PRIMARY and SECONDARY EIDE).

Knowing now that you've already got two optical drives and a hard drive(therefore, you must already have two cables, and don't need to buy one), the easiest thing would be to unplug and remove your DVD-ROM and plug in your new DVD-RW. That would leave you with a DVD-RW and a CD-RW. You could keep the DVD-ROM instead, if that is what you want. It is up to you; the DVD-RW burns movies to the hard drive first, so it isn't like you need to burn directly from your DVD-ROM to the new DVD-RW. If you have one hard drive, you could keep all three optical drives, provided there is room in your case.

There is an audio cable (four pin connector: red, blue, and white I think) you'll see going from one of the optical drives to your sound card (or motherboard if you've got onboard sound). You'll need to make sure that goes to whichever drive you want to play CD's from if you listen to CD's on your pc.

Don't worry; installing an optical drive is really quick and easy thing to do. Everything will make sense once you open the case.

Comment

If possible you want to avoid mixing DVD/CD-ROM devices and hard drives on the same channel (i.e. putting them on the same ribbon cable) or you may experience poor hard drive performance.

Personally I would boot the CD-RW drive and replace that. It really comes down to what you might want to do while you're burning DVDs. Do you want to watch movies, in which case you want to keep the DVD drive, or do you want to listen or burn CDs, in which case you should keep that unit.

You are good with the cables you have. However, any given EIDE channel has a master and a slave device. Doesn't really matter which is which for your purposes, but you will need to determine how your existing devices are configured and configure your new device accordingly. Configuration consists of moving a jumper connector from one set of pins to another on a set of pins adjacent to the connector for the cable. Your new unit *should* provide instructions.

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                (Smacks my forehead!)

If you want detailed answers, detailed questions help.

For each cable plugged into your motherboard, you have TWO connectors going out. That is why you can run a total of FOUR devices using only TWO Mother Board inputs (PRIMARY and SECONDARY EIDE).

Knowing now that you've already got two optical drives and a hard drive(therefore, you must already have two cables, and don't need to buy one), the easiest thing would be to unplug and remove your DVD-ROM and plug in your new DVD-RW. That would leave you with a DVD-RW and a CD-RW. You could keep the DVD-ROM instead, if that is what you want. It is up to you; the DVD-RW burns movies to the hard drive first, so it isn't like you need to burn directly from your DVD-ROM to the new DVD-RW. If you have one hard drive, you could keep all three optical drives, provided there is room in your case.

There is an audio cable (four pin connector: red, blue, and white I think) you'll see going from one of the optical drives to your sound card (or motherboard if you've got onboard sound). You'll need to make sure that goes to whichever drive you want to play CD's from if you listen to CD's on your pc.

Don't worry; installing an optical drive is really quick and easy thing to do. Everything will make sense once you open the case.

Comment

One more question, i took my comp apart and scoped out the drives and all, are there different types of interfaces? Is this anything i need to check out? I noticed some say ATA/ATAPI and others say IDE.

Oh and these lightscribe burners, do i need any additional software or am i better off getting a drive without it?

Comment

ATA/ATAPI and IDE are for as far as you need to know are all the same. Lightscribe drive aren't worth it IMO, they take a long time to burn the image, and you would need diffrent software that would most likely come with the drive.

Comment

Alright, thanks alot everyone. Much appreciated

Sorry but one more question from the noob...Can this drive

do everything a CD-RW can do drive cause im thinking about replacing my CD-RW drive instead of my DVD-rom drive?

Comment

Working...
                      X