BF2 doesnt open, 99% cpu usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 doesnt open, 99% cpu usage

When I open BF2 it shows the BF2 splash screen for about a second then it closes but the whole computer lags out. If you open up the task manager then you can see that it is actually using 99% cpu usage. There is no errors in the event viewer. Help?

Specs:
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Opteron 146
    MSI 7800GTX
    OCZ El Platinum Rev 2 (2x512)
    Windows XP

It's not overclocked either at the moment, I don't know what the cause of this could be..every other game works fine.

Re: BF2 doesnt open, 99% cpu usage

I'm not an expert here but what company is the MSI 7800 GTX? I'm curious because it's not on the list of supported graphics cards:

ATI Radeon X700 (PCIe), X600 (PCIe), X800 XT Platinum Edition, X800 PRO, and X300 series.
    ATI Radeon 9800 series, 9700 series, 9600 series, 9559 (RV350LX), 9500 series, and 8500 series.
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (PCIe), and PCX 5900 (PCIe).
    NVIDIA GeForce 5800 series (AGP).
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, 6800 GT, and 6800.
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 series, FX 5900 series, and FX 5700 series.

Comment

The company is MSI...why wouldnt the 7800 series be supported, they have been out for a while now.

Comment

Well that's the list I got from EA, sorry.

Comment

the 7800 is definitly support LOL. well first off, the CPU usage for Bf2 is usually over 90% in-game. it doesnt sound like you were actually playing, but who knows. I would say reinstall is my best guesss...

Comment

It's a fresh install on a fresh copy of windows...

Comment

Yeah that would work, reinstalling windows

Comment

No, I already did that.

I did find the solution though, apparently my old backup profiles were causing the issue (my documents>battlefield 2), once I deleted them the problem went away. Thank god..

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Xlano
                  Yeah that would work, reinstalling windows
                  Why would you do that? What a waste of time. I have a hard time understanding why people casually throw around the idea of reinstalling Windows. That is a last resort for people who know what they're doing and a first resort for those who don't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by cheesewz
                    Why would you do that? What a waste of time. I have a hard time understanding why people casually throw around the idea of reinstalling Windows. That is a last resort for people who know what they're doing and a first resort for those who don't have a clue.
                    It Helped my computer alot ... , but i think i had loads of errors on it

Comment

It Helped my computer alot ... , but i think i had loads of errors on it
                      You could have accomplished the same thing by using DriverCleaner and one of the registry mechanic programs. They only time I've ever had to reload an XP box was when the hard drive crashed. It is a last resort...

Comment

Originally posted by Killa_2327
                        When I open BF2 it shows the BF2 splash screen for about a second then it closes but the whole computer lags out. If you open up the task manager then you can see that it is actually using 99% cpu usage. There is no errors in the event viewer. Help?

Specs:
                        DFI NF4 Ultra-D
                        Opteron 146
                        MSI 7800GTX
                        OCZ El Platinum Rev 2 (2x512)
                        Windows XP

It's not overclocked either at the moment, I don't know what the cause of this could be..every other game works fine.

Hey Killa DFI FOR MOTHERBORAD COMPANY WOW

MSI Video cards are great but DFI your end up have some conflicts but i thing what you need to do is go to the motherborad companys web site and dl the motherborad drivers that what be one of the guess maybe that procsser there might have more support when i put my 64x2 msi right after installing the drivers and stuff pop up saying mis has some updates for you and click motherborad drivers more support on 64x2 and works so great now only use like 20-40 for cpu usage for bf2 try updateing the Mothborad

***DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!!!!***

Comment

Originally posted by cheesewz
                          You could have accomplished the same thing by using DriverCleaner and one of the registry mechanic programs. They only time I've ever had to reload an XP box was when the hard drive crashed. It is a last resort...
                          Drive Cleaner eh ?!

Comment

Drive Cleaner eh ?!

Ya driver cleaner flush out all the files so it fresh form when you just put in windows xp

Comment

Working...
                            X