Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development suggestion and sniper kit question

Heya. Well, first the suggestion.

Face it, the sniper is THE least useful kit to a team. Sure, they get a few kills and less deaths, but most of them would do FAR more damage to the enemy team as other teamplay kits, such as the medic. There ARE a few very good snipers out there that do make a big difference...but those are few and far between.

To at least make them fulfill their role better...and to help them be more useful to a team, why not (using their camo) have them undetected by scans as LONG as they stay immobile? They blend in, so unless the sat scans show heat signatures, they really woudn't be easily spotted. At the moment, snipers die from artillery or commander spots all the time. It's just a waste of time to get into position since the enemy team will generally know exactly where you are on the next scan (assuming you're close enough to the action to be doing something useful). With no-detect while not moving, they could truly get into position and use their skills in staying undetected by player spots. It would at least increase their survivability in a spot long enough to start making a difference for their team. They'd still have to be smart. Just firing away will quickly give away your position to other players. You get spotted by an enemy player, you're done for. It would also help secure the nature of the sniper. Right now, effort is rarely put into blending in with your surroundings since scans instantly spot you.

I'm normally a medic or support, but I figured I'd give the sniper kit a go since the patch. As for my question, how exactly do snipers get points? I figured they got screwed since they must rely on kills only...and that most are stolen since you generally hit an opponent and the next hit on them from a teammate kills them. However, I often find myself getting high scores, sometimes even first place. Sure, I help cap flags and all, but it's just...really high sometimes. Do snipers get 2x or 3x the trophy points (like medics do for revives) for kills? Or am I just racking it up without noticing?

Re: Development suggestion and sniper kit question

There are countless threads on this same suggestion. For the sake of the thread, snipers shouldn't be detected by spotting or UAVs. Though, because people can't spot them or see them on UAV, they're just going to try harder to find the sniper.

Comment

Well...UAV sure could spot them...seeing it's concentrated on one area over and over....but a one time quick scan shouldn't. The snipers would have to keep out of areas they think would be UAV-heavy. As for player spotting...if you're spotted...well...you're spotted. My suggestion is keeping SatScan out of it.

and...you didn't answer my question

Comment

Yes, snipers get few points, but they are extremley useful when theyre good. several reasons:
        1) Got an entrenched support guy mowing down your team? give him some sniper love.
        2) enemy sniper? repeat #1.
        3) look at all those little ants running around thinking theyre sneaky. i think ill spot them all for my team
        4) CLAYMORES!

Comment

Yup... I wouldn't object to the snipers being undetechtable to scans, but still showin up on UAVs.

I almost feel bad for the snipers I routinely drop arty on.

As for them being the most useless class in the game, I'd have to disagree. They can be a valuable asset if played right (which I don't, I suck at sniping). They're very effective ticket punchers and can tie up lots of enemies simply by peggin one off in the foot, thus causing him and his buddies to stop and look for the sniper. I've also had me arse saved by a couple talented snipers that I play with on a regular basis. They're smart enough to know that half their duity is simply to spot badguys 'n let the rest of us grunts deal with 'em.

Then there's the matter of clay spammin. Hehe, cheap? Maybe. Effective? Very.

Comment

Not showing up on a scan would sort the problem of getting wasted by arti now and again. Or being spotted by a commander. So I would be all for that.
            I guess the question will be if DICE can implement such a thing in the game.

Btw the least usefull class is bs imo. People are useless, not the BF2 classes. Each Class has it uses. The numer of times I have Defended a flag from 200 meters out is uncountable. And the 2000+ KD assists will probably helped out a lot of peeps on several servers

Comment

Really the best aspect of the sniper was from BF42. Use of the binocs for artillery placement. With the "dumbing down" of BF2, all the commander has to do is point and click for arty, thereby taking out the teamwork effort. I'd love to see a return to the BF42 use of the sniper, but obviously it won't happen.

Comment

As regards people whinging and moaning about being hit with an artillery barrage... try and look at the positive of it. It means you must have attracted the enemy commanders somehow, be it by racking up a lot of kills and SLs complained to their commander, or you're in the way of an infantry advance. Either way, look at how the commander is wasting a barrage for 1 ticket, when he could hit elsewhere and take potentially half a dozen! THATS teamwork, copping one for the good of the rest!

Comment

Satellite scans shouldn't spot snipers. I don't mind the UAV since you can see it now. The only problem being that nobody bothers to shoot it down.

Comment

It's normally more trouble than it's worth to try shooting the UAV down. Half the time, you can't even see it due to map fog. Also, by the time you shoot it down, you've gone through much of your ammo. It's really only good to shoot it down as support....since you fire so much and can restock on ammo.

Well, it's nice to see a suggestion that everyone seems to agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by LaGrenouille
                      Satellite scans shouldn't spot snipers. I don't mind the UAV since you can see it now. The only problem being that nobody bothers to shoot it down.
                      It isn't easy to shoot down! I tried shooting it down with the tunguska, and you have to hit it many times before it pops.

Comment

As a sniper the arty doesnt bother me that much and I dont know about you guys but I can hear the arty launching, no matter what kit I play when I hear that I just move. Ive had countless close calls but can usually get out of the way.
                        I would consider myself a pretty good sniper, I do a lot of things other snipers dont do. Like hang back at flag captures and kill enemy troops trying to prevent the capture. I like to hunt other snipers and dumb players who get out of thier vehicle to repair, while in enemy territory. Provide cover for advancing troops (ie. Sharqi). Kill enemy in AA sites (real easy kills). Chase down (snipers can run farther than any other class) enemy support troops from the rear and knife them. The list goes on.
                        Snipers arent useless, a better way to state it would be that the sniper kit is the most misplayed kit in BF2. Its a lot more than shooting the gun. A lot more. . . . . . .Red

Comment

Aye...I said there are a few exceptions, but generally, most players are just flat out more useful using other kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Enz0
                            There are countless threads on this same suggestion. For the sake of the thread, snipers shouldn't be detected by spotting or UAVs. Though, because people can't spot them or see them on UAV, they're just going to try harder to find the sniper.
                            I'd agree, but then you'd get an absolutely insane level of spawncamping. Spotting snipers is hardly convenient, and often just an invitation to getting killed. I was on Smoke Screen and someone was camping the helipad with the M95, and of course the commander won't spot them. Where were they? One of the hundred or so spots they COULD have been.

If you want to be useful to your team as sniper, it's simple: Be more aggressive. Run with the squaddies in the back lines. If they engage someone, take a shot at them. It's really easy to outnumber the defenders when two people get popped from a guy sitting behind the lines that they're not even looking for.

Most snipers just want to sit on a rooftop, dump a claymore on the ladder, and get a 10-kill streak before someone spots them and kills them. They're always coming up with new excuses to why they should be totally unspottable and should be able to snipe targets from hundreds of meters away with total impunity. World's smallest violin, activated.

Comment

They shouldn't be unstoppable. They are easily owned if spotted. It's just pointless to play as the nature of a sniper with the current sat scans. You have to play deathmatch sniper in BF2...not strategic sniper.

On top of that...you can easily find where a sniper is by simply listening for the shots. You gotta be smart to stay hidden.

Comment

Working...
                              X