Lag INCREASES with lower ping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag INCREASES with lower ping

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it's really starting to seem like I get worse lag when my ping is lower. I remember countless games where I've been the lowest pinger on the server and I ask "Is anyone else lagging like there's no tomorrow?" Most of the time I get a response it is "no". On the other hand, I've had games with pings of 100 where everything seems to run as smooth as butter. There seems to be an inverse relationship between ping and lag, the opposite of how I thought it was supposed to work.

Anyone else getting this bizarre problem? Or have I been living under a misconception about ping for years?

Re: Lag INCREASES with lower ping

i get very low ping on BF2, around 20's & im lagging alos, but its just BF2 that lags me, other games ie CSSource, sumtimes get 15 & everything is fine. So maybe u have sumert running in the background, spyware/virus?

Comment

That's possible, thanks, but it really seems to run BETTER with higher ping.

Comment

this only seems to be happening to me in sf.

Comment

Originally posted by puglous
          That's possible, thanks, but it really seems to run BETTER with higher ping.
          absolutely unrelated
          if you have observed beter game play when you had higher ping
          just a coincidence
          had to be other varaibles with your machine or server or other player(s)

Comment

Originally posted by puglous
            Maybe it's just my imagination, but it's really starting to seem like I get worse lag when my ping is lower. I remember countless games where I've been the lowest pinger on the server and I ask "Is anyone else lagging like there's no tomorrow?" Most of the time I get a response it is "no". On the other hand, I've had games with pings of 100 where everything seems to run as smooth as butter. There seems to be an inverse relationship between ping and lag, the opposite of how I thought it was supposed to work.

Anyone else getting this bizarre problem? Or have I been living under a misconception about ping for years?
            It's your imagination.

Comment

Don't confuse 'net lag with computer lag, or even server lag.

Example:

Server 10miles from your house, but it has an older processor, not enough ram, and the host is hammering it with several installs of the game running at once. You may ping 20 to this server, but if the server is being hammered you'll lag like no tomorrow.

Now the flip side - Server on the opposite coast. Only 1 install, its an ub3r 1337 new box with top of the line processor / etc... You may have a 90 ping, but the box runs so smoothly that you experiance no lag whatsoever.

You also have to factor in any lag from your own machine. Maybe your'e playing in a full 64 man server with a 20 ping and your own machine is being hammered, while the 90-100 ping you had was on a 32 man server with only 20 connections. There are SO MANY factors to put in its hard to tell whats going on without more information - comp specs, pings at the time of lag / no lag, server locations, your location and ISP, etc......

See, its that simple lol

Comment

I always get a ping of ~20-30 and never lag :-D

Comment

Working...
                X