Increase your virtual memory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase your virtual memory!

Yo, I don't know how many know this but it does cut some lag off in exchange for some hard drive space.
    Requirments:
    4 GB of free space
    Grade 10 education lol (jk)
    Windows XP

Anyways first go to your control panel and select system. From there select the Advanced tab at the top right. Then click settings for peformence as shown
    -->

Then from there click advancd tab, then under virtual memory click change. As shown.
    --->

In this screen you should see to white boxs with numbers, increase both to as high as you can with the max being 4090. (each 1000 takes about 1 GB of hard drive space.). Then click set then ok it is important you click set before ok.

Thats it good luck and if this doesnt work for you, then nerf it back to your original settings.

Have fun and keep on gaming, and I want a sticky lol
    ~Venom

Re: Increase your virtual memory!

Yeah, I've done it since the beginning. BF2 is one that truly benefits from this update. I think it's already mentioned in a sticky of how to improve your BF2 performance.

Always good for a recap though.

PEACE

Comment

lol was it? I nerver noticed but this does help alot.

Comment

After the change, a defrag (or two) and a reboot to top it off helps too.

Comment

Yes defrag really does help. Im sure everybody knows how to do this but if you dont say so and ill post how to with pics here.

Comment

Of course I can't find it, but essentially it's a good review on how to increase your BF2 performance by increasing and decreasing specific components within Windows.

My buddy played his BF2 without any issues within Linux and this specific program that allows him to run Win32 3d-games in full screen. He can cap out an extra 20-30fps at the same settings within the same box, truly amazing. The game I found to benefit most from this software was Unreal Tournament 2004. My god, he was able to crank everything on a 9800 Pro AIW at 1600x1200 and it ran smooth.

This will be my next attempt!

PEACE

Comment

to free up hard drive space i turned off system restore. i also improved performance by pointing my rifle at my computer and yelling at it.

Comment

lol man I should buy a H&K G3A3 that would really scare the **** out of my pc lol!

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
                  i also improved performance by pointing my rifle at my computer and yelling at it.
                  Dude Good Idea.... Dyam, Wish i thought of that!..... did it work?

Comment

There's actually a little more to this for optimum performance.

Check the No Paging File button first. Then reboot. That will remove the paging file from your system.

Then Defrag the hard drive and reboot.

When it comes up this time, go back and set up the paging file again and reboot.

That will create the paging file in one solid portion of your hard drive and should optimize performance.

Or so I'm told...

Comment

Originally posted by Craftier
                      After the change, a defrag (or two) and a reboot to top it off helps too.
                      I find the entire process of running through all the menus to get to the defrag option to be tedious, especially after a night of gaming, so what I did was this:

- Create a shortcut on your desktop
                      - In the "location of the item" type the following command line:
                      defrag c: -f

- Press next and name your shortcut.
                      - Press finish

You should now be able to simply double-click your shortcut from your desktop and easily run defrag without taking the extra 20secs needed to actually run through the process of having to load up, configure and start the defrag GUI option.

For those that are "DOS-lost", the window will pull up once you double-click it, and it will eventually show you whether your folders/files are defragmented.

A note: You can also change the C: for whatever logical drive letter you have (i.e. if you have a second hard drive on D:, you cna switch the C: for D

Another quick defrag tip, if you use the following command, you will clean out all start up files and your boot sector rather than wait for a full partition defrag:
                      defrag c: -b

PEACE

Comment

I doubt that but I will give it a try. Another thing that worked for me but did not work for my friend is to press Alt>Ctrl>Delete when agme is booting, right click BF2.exe and set the priority to high. Helps alot for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DosX

Check the No Paging File button first. Then reboot. That will remove the paging file from your system.

When it comes up this time, go back and set up the paging file again and reboot.

That will create the paging file in one solid portion of your hard drive and should optimize performance.

Or so I'm told...
                          You are correct in your assumption sir!

Comment

YA he is correct I tryed it. gj m8

Comment

Nice Point!! Wish I could give you karma for that one, but that's not implemented here... Good job. Something I hadn't considered...
                              Originally posted by DosX

Or so I'm told...

Comment

Working...
                              X