Double standards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double standards?

I caught on only today that the US Intervention mod was originally scheduled for release on March 12th (~4 days ago). Much follow-up reading ensued to figure out why...their reasoning for delay makes sense, and I have no qualms with the delay.

Here's the kicker, I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why there exist certain double standards, if you will. Reading the responses to the USI announcement, all the comments are along the lines of "this mod is going to rule!" "great work USI guyz!" etc. Positive reinforcement, good show.

Now even as far back as the delay of Vanilla BF2, most posters here have replied with "typical EA/DICE, can't even meet deadlines," "in the corporate world! yadda, yadda, yadda," "why even give a release date/they're always leaving the community in the dark!" ad nauseum...

I'm just trying to figure out what justifies these polar opposite sorts of responses...cause at least to me, it don't make a lick'o'sense...

-EDIT for Clarification-

Why does it seem that mods can do no wrong, and EA/DICE vice versa (nothing right)?

*and a cookie for Grey Fox for being the first one to understand my rather convoluted post*

Re: Double standards?

I don't know what you are asking.

Comment

Yea same, sorry

Comment

Well they mostly give mod's a break, because mods are made for free and by amateurs. So people decide to go easy on them.

Comment

Rule number one of software Development: Never give a release date.
          Rule number two of software Development: Never give a release date unless the entire team agrees its ready to release the next day.

Comment

He asking why people condemn EA, but not USI. My response, you will never get through to people who whine. To save yourself alot of turmoil, ignore stupid people who you think have double standards on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetpea
              Why does it seem that mods can do no wrong, and EA/DICE vice versa (nothing right)?
              Pretty easy actually.

I dont pay for the MODS.... yet I paid for BF2 and SF.

Kind of along the lines of never complain about a free meal.

Comment

If my friend makes me dinner and it tastes like crap I'm not going to complain, in fact I will thank them for making me dinner. They made it for no other reason than because they care about me and wanted to do something nice for me.

If I go to a restaurant and buy dinner and it tastes like crap, you better believe I am going to complain about it. They weren't making me dinner out of the goodness of their heart like my friend was. They made it to turn a profit (which is fine). But they damn well better give me something that is worth what I paid for.

Comment

stupid question.

Comment

Because it's 'cool' to diss EA. Trust me. You E-popularity-meter skyrockets the momemnt you say 'EA sucks'.

Comment

What about constructive criticism?

Mods: mostly flat-out brown-nosing, with every 20th post politely offering up improvements...

EA/DICE: almost exclusively slander, every 40th post containing intelligent, well thought out discourse...

The "meal" analogy: if a friend prepares a meal lacking in quality, does it not make sense that in order to avoid future gastro-intestinal episodes, some suggestions regarding improvement could be broached? Unless it is employed as some form of cleansing agent?:hmm:

And if a restaurant is constantly making you ill, why keep returning? Is it masochism? Perhaps, there are aspects of it that you enjoy, despite the flaws. Would you respond more rapidly to positive reinforcement, or continuous shrill whinging...I know with myself, I am more likely to respond positively if flaws are approached reasonably, and are rational; as opposed to the opposite, that is often ignored.

And to say that the modders are creating these products solely out of the goodness of their hearts is a crock of whooey...sure they don't get paid, but I'll guarantee there is some ego-boosting involved with a successful release.

For everyone's information I am not some EA/DICE fanboy that is anti-mod, I too am eagerly awaitng the release of POE2 and FH2

Comment

you dont seem to get it, we pay ea games to get it right we continue to pour money into ea and dice using their ranked server systems. So far they have done NOTHING RIGHT. Patience is a virtue but i think EA and DICE are wearing the communities patience to the bone, THATS why there alway a negative word about ea.

Modders on the other hand we do not pay they do it out of the love, they have to put up with the same bull we have to from EA they are on our side, they do not take money from us in order to make excuses on deadlines, they most likely have a carreer outside of what they are doing in the mod community. That is why they dont get as much negative things said about them, you dont seem to get this concept.

Comment

Originally posted by SO19Visionaries
                          you dont seem to get it, we pay ea games to get it right we continue to pour money into ea and dice using their ranked server systems. So far they have done NOTHING RIGHT. Patience is a virtue but i think EA and DICE are wearing the communities patience to the bone, THATS why there alway a negative word about ea.

Modders on the other hand we do not pay they do it out of the love, they have to put up with the same bull we have to from EA they are on our side, they do not take money from us in order to make excuses on deadlines, they most likely have a carreer outside of what they are doing in the mod community. That is why they dont get as much negative things said about them, you dont seem to get this concept.
                          I suppose I should have heeded SPARTACUS' response earlier regarding posters...naturally, according to you SO19Visionaries, because I don't share the same slag-EA/DICE attitude as you, "I don't seem to get it [the concept]."

And perhaps I'm reading into it too much, but I imagine you play the game on account of your posting here, you may even rent a server; good for you. Here's where I get confused, you seem to have more than a passing interest in this game, yet you claim EA/DICE have done "NOTHING RIGHT." Why a seemingly intelligent person like yourself would keep playing a game deserving of a 0/10, by your admission, escapes me. But hey, since I don't get it, you were probably employing hyperbole there, my bad...

As far as patience is concerned, I acknowledge that only the most vocal BF2 players post on these or any other forums, so I can only assume that the patient community you refer to is the majority of non-posting players...

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetpea
                            I suppose I should have heeded SPARTACUS' response earlier regarding posters...naturally, according to you SO19Visionaries, because I don't share the same slag-EA/DICE attitude as you, "I don't seem to get it [the concept]."

And perhaps I'm reading into it too much, but I imagine you play the game on account of your posting here, you may even rent a server; good for you. Here's where I get confused, you seem to have more than a passing interest in this game, yet you claim EA/DICE have done "NOTHING RIGHT." Why a seemingly intelligent person like yourself would keep playing a game deserving of a 0/10, by your admission, escapes me. But hey, since I don't get it, you were probably employing hyperbole there, my bad...

As far as patience is concerned, I acknowledge that only the most vocal BF2 players post on these or any other forums, so I can only assume that the patient community you refer to is the majority of non-posting players...
                            I couldn't have said it better myself. I just get annoyed when people complain on and on about the game to other people, where as they could just stop playing right then and end their "suffering".

Comment

no i am not saying you dont get it becuase u dont slag off ea, i dont even slag of ea half the time. It just appeared from this thread that you didn't get the concept that people get more angry over something they paid for.

its like a homeless man getting angry at a charity for giving him a bed to sleep in for a night becuase they dont have real duck feather pillows.

We expect EA/DICE to give us the playable game that they promised us when we bought it. We don't lose the original game if a Mod goes under so we dont get angry at the mods, however if the original game is threatened like it has been then we could essentially loose everything and end up with an unplayable game, do you see what im getting at?

I still play this game because i enjoy it still, but i certainly dont enjoy it as much as i did when it first came out. They havn't really added anything in my opinion to the gameplay with these updates, just added more problems. That is what i meant by they havn't done "NOTHING RIGHT".

Comment

Working...
                              X