Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever randomly get a CTD? Mostly at Join Server or Join Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever randomly get a CTD? Mostly at Join Server or Join Game?

Seems like once or twice a month, I get a CTD. No error or anything, it just boots me back to the desktop and a .dmp crash log is created in the BF2 folder under My Documents.

This mostly happens after clicking "Join Server" or "Join Game" after it is done loading. A server exploit maybe? I've seen times when I try to join a server with like 32/32 people that goes down to 30/32, so I join, I CTD, and when I come back the server is full again. I know these servers kick to make room for Admins, but CTD?

So does anyone else randomly get CTDs not too often but a couple times a month? Once again, mostly at Join Server or Join Game.

Antivirus software is off, still use Windows Firewall (CTD'd before and after installing XP SP2 late last year so it's not that), background tasks minimal, computer far exceeds minimum specs...

A(nother) bug with the game or what?

Re: Anyone ever randomly get a CTD? Mostly at Join Server or Join Game?

Occasionally I get that. Not often enough that it causes too much of a hassle. I just restart BF and have no issues afterwards.

Comment

Yeah, it's not very often that it happens, just a minor annoyance I guess. I can just turn on the game again and play without any further problems.

Come to think of it, it seems to be happening more often shortly before or after a patch or booster is released...

It's not a big deal- I can play just fine- but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something with my computer or anything. Glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the reply, off to play BF2 now...

Comment

I got CTD very often nowadays after patch 1.20. I cannot be sured if this is due to my hardware or just the patch, since I added another 7800GT and change my RAM from 1.5GB to 1GBx2.

So dump file does record everytime I got CTD. Cool!.
        So I got 31 dump files since 1.20 patch. That means I got CTD 31 times, probably not couting the BSOD and autoreboots.

This CTD occurred very frequently, several times a day. Mostly is 1-2 hours into the game.

Comment

It happens to me when i forget to close alot of other apps - like leave antispyware and anti virus software on seeing as they take up alot of ram normally so it seems to cause instability
          so turn them off - close all the instant messengers etc. in your taskbar

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
            It happens to me when i forget to close alot of other apps - like leave antispyware and anti virus software on seeing as they take up alot of ram normally so it seems to cause instability
            so turn them off - close all the instant messengers etc. in your taskbar
            I don't have anything unnecessary running.

On a side note, I read in the ReadMe for BF2 about the .dmp files and that if you have a technical problem, you can email them to EA for them to look over.

So I did that when it CTD a week ago. I told them what was happening and I begged them to view my .dmp file and tell me what's wrong. I also attached a DXDIAG report with my specs.

When I got a reply, they noticed I was running Catalyst 5.11s (very stable) vs. Catalyst 6.3s and they told me to update them. They didn't even look over the .dmp log at all and blamed ATI's drivers (as they are not the "most recent") as the cause of the CTD's. I'm sure if I had a nVidia card, they wouldn't have even said anything.

In short, those .dmp files may contain valuable information, but EA chooses not to tell me what it says (maybe they're covering their butts and can't admit it's a problem with their software?) lol

Comment

CTD would most likely be caused by RAM instabilty
              so if any app that requires connectivity loses its internet link and needs to redial - that will cause ram to be used outside the game and destabilise the game ram files

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
                CTD would most likely be caused by RAM instabilty
                so if any app that requires connectivity loses its internet link and needs to redial - that will cause ram to be used outside the game and destabilise the game ram files
                Agree!

I changed my memory from OCZ Gold XTC PC4000 1GBx2 to OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 1GBx2, and it seems like no more CTD.

Comment

CTD is not only due to ram problems. CTD also occurs if the server is in trouble. Sometimes I'll be playing on a server and suddenly 10 or 20 people will simultaneously disconnect. At their end all 10 or 20 had a CTD, but clearly the error is caused by the server NOT their client. It all depends on the nature of the DMP error. When it happens that the server dumps a lot of people the clients seem to mostly produce dump files with the following message:

D:\DiceCanada\Xpack2\Code\BF2\RendDX9\TextureManag er.cpp(761): Error: RendDX9: Texture not found: menu/hud/texture/ingame/player/icons/minimap/mini_squad_0_small
                  Since you mention the problem occurs at "join server" it implies your client/PC is at fault since you are not even connected to the server when it happens. If you get the "join game" CTD a lot it could be your client/PC or related to the autobalance feature/red name bug etc (in this case netcode/server related). CTD at "join game" is most common in situations where the loading time is particularly long and a lot of activity has occured on the server while you were still loading in.

Comment

hey i get it and i have gfoces 512mb card for pci and i get the ctd 3 to four times a day on sf maps. They told me it was my ram. i got 8gs in mine and i do web work. So I got one of the guys from work to look over is game and same thing for him. Now even more with the patch 1.21. I am thinking if i send them it again they well tell us its because we live in Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by RB30
                      I got CTD very often nowadays after patch 1.20. I cannot be sured if this is due to my hardware or just the patch, since I added another 7800GT and change my RAM from 1.5GB to 1GBx2.

So dump file does record everytime I got CTD. Cool!.
                      So I got 31 dump files since 1.20 patch. That means I got CTD 31 times, probably not couting the BSOD and autoreboots.

This CTD occurred very frequently, several times a day. Mostly is 1-2 hours into the game.
                      I get the same as you, after 1-2 hours I crash to desktop, Im the same not sure if its my hardware as I recently went from 1-2GB and installed a 7800GT(used to have 2x6600GT's). I seem to get it more and more since the new patches. Does anyone else get it where the game just freezes for 5-10 seconds with the sound looping almost as if the computer has crashed but then it goes back to normal and BF2 runs as if nothing has happened. Any ideas on that one????
                      AMD 64 3500+ Winchester
                      7800GT 256mb
                      2GB ram (4x512)

Nothing is overclocked(don't know how to) :cry:

Comment

**bump**

Comment

Originally posted by MonkMachine
                          I get the same as you, after 1-2 hours I crash to desktop, Im the same not sure if its my hardware as I recently went from 1-2GB and installed a 7800GT(used to have 2x6600GT's). I seem to get it more and more since the new patches. Does anyone else get it where the game just freezes for 5-10 seconds with the sound looping almost as if the computer has crashed but then it goes back to normal and BF2 runs as if nothing has happened. Any ideas on that one????
                          AMD 64 3500+ Winchester
                          7800GT 256mb
                          2GB ram (4x512)

Nothing is overclocked(don't know how to) :cry:
                          I changed my RAM from OCZ Gold XTC PC4000 1Gbx2 to OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 1Gbx2. So far there are no CTD for about a week now.

As for temporary freezes, I used to have that problem when I OC my 7800GT to 490/1100. Later I just drop GPU clock a bit to 480/1100. No more freezes.

As a side note, I built a new computer system for my brother to play City of Villain/Heroes. He got temporary freezes as well in that game, but not in BF2. He uses OCZ EB Platinum PC4000 1Gbx2 at 500Mhz. We fiddled for about a week, and later we just dropped the memory clock from 500Mhz to 466Mhz. No more freezes.

So you might want to try changing either your GPU/video memory or CPU/system memory clocks a bit. That probably will help. OCing them will make the freezes or CTD worse.

Comment

Working...
                          X