Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want a reminder of why your playing BF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a reminder of why your playing BF2?

Today I was cleaning out my computer desk (actually a heavuly modified dinner table, 3 22" monitors weigh alot) and I found my old copy of Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising.

Just for kicks I loaded it up, and within ten minutes was uninstalling it.

Those flat, chunky graphics and the WAY to run-and-gun gameplay reminded me why I stopped playing it and began looking forward to BF2 in the first place.

Though we complain, bitterly at times, and wait impatiently for bug-fixes and expansions/boosters, it is important that we remember one thing.

Someday the perfect game for us action/warsim/tactical gamers may be made, but there are still many steps along that path. Battlefield 2 represents a huge step in the right direction, and while not perfect, it is what we've got.

Re: Want a reminder of why your playing BF2?

Here Here!!! Well Said!!!!

kinda like playing Delta force task force dager & RVS ....OLD SKOOL!
    Welcome to 2006!

Comment

true, but i never had allot of problems with MOHAA, not that much bugs, only allot of cheaters... i'm looking forward to the new Quake game, atleast we know those guys are a bit better at the netcode than dice, alltho bf2 was a big improvement over 1942...
      but i hope the new quake game combines quake action and smooth gameplay with bf2 strategy

Comment

JO:TR And JO:E are good games, a little old and crappy graphics, but i bought the game for the co-ops basically

Comment

Joints Ops has nothing to do with it, it's all about the girls...

Comment

I really liked the Customization ability of Joint operations. You could pick between Mortars and Stingers even the type of ammo you carried (i.e. Armor Piercing vs FMJ).

I also liked the fact that you had Vehicle Transports and In Vehicle communication albeit text only.

Plus very quick loading times.

The only reason I don't sometimes play it any more is that I lost my CD-Key and they wiped my account.

I sometimes wish that they would incorporate some of those features in BF2, but I do feel that BF2 is the Best FPS around and the persistant scoring and ranking makes the game uterly addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by dogboy71
              I really liked the Customization ability of Joint operations. You could pick between Mortars and Stingers even the type of ammo you carried (i.e. Armor Piercing vs FMJ).

I also liked the fact that you had Vehicle Transports and In Vehicle communication albeit text only.
              These are both features I miss too. The vehicel comms in particular are much needed.

I wonder if mortars would go over well in BF2? Probobly not, but who knows.

Comment

I totally agree, but there are a few things from JO:TR that would be nice in BF2 or later:

Inventory system - classes exist but you can build your own set of gear (including pistols, nades and body armor). Your class determines what extra items are in your set of options (Snipers-> Sniper Rifles, Rifleman-> Toob Nades etc..)

Swimming Underwater
                Water of varying coloration from crystal clear to choked with mud (being able to hide in the latter is great)

Javelin AT Missile - fire and forget, top attacking (with the included animation). Though this should really be a long spawning pickup weapon
                Stinger

Day / Night cycles with appropriate lighting.
                Truly thick jungles - they really did this well

Advance and Secure gametype

Little Birds - with rocket pods and six seater versions - real spec ops feel coming in fast and low then landing five people on top of a building

Tactical Voice coms - "Cover Me" and so on - not 100% useful but there have been many times when I've thought they'd be useful while playing BF2

Building interiors

Strykers and Deuce and a Halfs - 8 guys riding as passengers in a truck is great.

Blackhawks you can ride in wihtout being glued to a chair (and fire out of)

Chinooks that can carry vehicles

Indonesian Setting - jungles and swamps, indigenous forces.

Large Maps

And the last, best thing which everyone is Guaranteed to Bitch About? Fast Attack Vehicles / Boats with mounted Automatic Grenade Launchers - UBER NOOB TUBE !!!

Lets hope we see some of this in BF3 (assuming its not that 2142 thing)

Comment

Originally posted by wartorn
                  I totally agree, but there are a few things from JO:TR that would be nice in BF2 or later:
                  Javelin AT Missile - fire and forget, top attacking (with the included animation). Though this should really be a long spawning pickup weapon
                  Stinger

You know thats not a horrible idea for the Javelin or stinger, just make it so that if your carrying thes big things you'd have to drop them to draw another weapon.

I had almost forgotten about how well done the jungle was in that game. In combination with the watery enviroment it really gave it a 'dude coming out of the water in apacalype now' feel.

Too bad everyone ran so damn fast and the weapons accuracy while running jumping was insanely high.

Comment

Anytime I need a reminder of why I'm playing BF2 I just go to UBI and see how far back they've pushed GR3................Oh, I'm sorry did I say GR three? I meant TWO GR TWO!!! Bastages.

Comment

My reminder is when I start Battlefield Vietnam and see no servers. I loved that game, but maybe I was one of the few who did. I would trade anything for the controls in the helicopters then compared to the ones now.

Comment

Originally posted by HullBreach
                        Just for kicks I loaded it up, and within ten minutes was uninstalling it.
                        :laugh: LOL
                        Yea I hate it when I have the urge to upload an old game just for kicks and find myself putting it away shortly after...then I'll do the same thing maybe a year later.
                        I do agree though, bf2 has proven to be a leap in first person shooters because it adds dynamic gameplay and also a 'command and conquer' type feel into the fps genre with the commander system and squads. And being able to utilize the graphics and beautiful environments that we see on 64 player maps is truly astonishing. An example is the waterfall on one of the Chinese maps, there are few out there who actually take a break from the fighting and overlook the stunning detail that Dice put into the waterfall and the flow of the water, you would think a fps is the last place something so remarkable would be in the game.

We kind of already have that in the game...the soft-launch predator SRAW is a fire and forget missile, although not as effective as the Javelin. But if it was included it would definitly would have to be a long spawning pickup weapon considering the thing is huge, deadly, and expensive...you don't find marines running around all the time with those in real life.

Comment

Inventory system - classes exist but you can build your own set of gear (including pistols, nades and body armor). Your class determines what extra items are in your set of options (Snipers-> Sniper Rifles, Rifleman-> Toob Nades etc..)

Swimming Underwater
                          Water of varying coloration from crystal clear to choked with mud (being able to hide in the latter is great)

Stinger

Advance and Secure gametype

Little Birds - with rocket pods and six seater versions - real spec ops feel coming in fast and low then landing five people on top of a building

Tactical Voice coms - "Cover Me" and so on - not 100% useful but there have been many times when I've thought they'd be useful while playing BF2

Building interiors

Strykers and Deuce and a Halfs - 8 guys riding as passengers in a truck is great.

Blackhawks you can ride in wihtout being glued to a chair (and fire out of)

Chinooks that can carry vehicles

Indonesian Setting - jungles and swamps, indigenous forces.

Large Maps

And the last, best thing which everyone is Guaranteed to Bitch About? Fast Attack Vehicles / Boats with mounted Automatic Grenade Launchers - UBER NOOB TUBE !!!

Lets hope we see some of this in BF3 (assuming its not that 2142 thing)

I agree. These are definitely good things that were in JO that BF2 lacks... I really hate the strict loadouts of BF2, especially since i disagree with how they were put together.. Very poorly balanced IMO...

Comment

Working...
                          X