The new Euro Forces Aircraft: Challenger 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Euro Forces Aircraft: Challenger 2

I only had the opportunity to fly this new aircraft for about 10 minutes and this was on Operation: Smoke Screen. After a long period of time waiting for a chance to get behind the stick, I finally managed to get some flying time in.

This map (Smoke Screen) pits the Euro Fighter against the popular Mig-29. While I was able to successfully down a couple enemy Mig's with the Euro Fighter, I had a significant challenge pursuing them. The turning radius seems very wide and the plane is not nearly as responsive as the F35, Mig-29, F18, J10, etc. Perhaps this was due to my sensitivity settings on my joystick, but a round later when flying an F-15, I had no problems whatsoever.

At any rate, it flies steady as a rock- yet lacks the responsiveness that we've all come to know and love with the other fighters. Bombing runs in the Euro Fighter are easy as pie- assuming you have good accuracy with F-35's and F-18's, but the fact that it has trouble in the turns makes it a very frightening experience when a more maneuverable fighter is on your tail.

Any thoughts from other pilots? Overall, it's a nice piece of machinery, but I'd much rather it be on the receiving end of my guns.

Edit: It's the Euro Fighter- not the Challenger 2. Yes, now I realize that. Yes, I'm an idiot who could read http://www.totalbf2.com/game/ef/vehicles properly. Please accept my apologies.

Re: The new Euro Forces Aircraft: Challenger 2

Err, the Challenger 2 is the British Main Battle Tank....NOT a fighter jet

Comment

The Challenger is a tank, mate... What you're speaking of is the Eurofighter.

Comment

Ungh. I stand corrected. Sorry guys. The "Euro Fighter" is what I was really referring to. Can a kind moderator please fix my thread title?

Comment

sounds ridiculous if they did this. From what I understand, the Eurofighter is ~ maneuverability of the J10 in RL

Comment

Originally posted by The Soup Nazi
            Ungh. I stand corrected. Sorry guys. The "Euro Fighter" is what I was really referring to. Can a kind moderator please fix my thread title?
            No we all want to laugh at your flying tank just kidding m8 :laugh:

Regarding the plane itself (Eurtofighter) i find it very sluggish in combat and had to turn up my sensitivity a lot but this makes the others team jets twitchy :hmm: I have only played for a few rounds but overall so far i dont like it.

In reality from what i understand the EuroFighter (IRL) is VERY manouverable as its very advanced. It should outclass all the jets in game really.

Comment

methinks I may have bagged one Soup in a Eurofighter, sorry I stole it.

Errr yeah is just me but does it tend to pull up, I thought my settings needed looking at but when I got the MIG all was dandy.

Op Smoke Screen two attack choppers, loads tanks, and two fighters, thing its set in the middle of a wind farm/oil field so there are things sticking out of the ground all over the place and with all the burning debris around you got locks all over the place.

Comment

Its going to require some thought to turn inside the migs,this plane will require some technique but I was shaking migs easily(of course thats me tho)....From the several encounters I had so far Ive done well and like fighting the migs better than the j-10s,and Id rather fight a mig with a BF109 vs fighting ...a j-10 in an f-35,LOL....so Im happy JUST TO BE "J-10 FREE"

Comment

The euro fighter is a pile of crap. The board gun is unstable much like the J-10 board gun but the plane drifts up and down while you are aiming it making it alot harder than J-10.

As the bombs are dropped from each wing tip they are spread out very far and fall differently from each side.

Dropping two bombs is wierd as one is infront and to the right of the one that is first dropped. Not to bad if your dropping both bombs on a tank as one tends to land either side of the tank, but its a pain in the ass if you just want to drop one bomb as you have to remember is it comming from the left or right wing.

Not to bad an idea actually ..... but non of the other jets have to worry about this.

Also its very slow to turn, not due to the rudder, its rudder is pretty nice and quite similer to the mig rudder but the planes roll time is extremly slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Inc|LoKi
                    The euro fighter is a pile of crap. The board gun is unstable much like the J-10 board gun but the plane drifts up and down while you are aiming it making it alot harder than J-10.

As the bombs are dropped from each wing tip they are spread out very far and fall differently from each side.

Dropping two bombs is wierd as one is infront and to the right of the one that is first dropped. Not to bad if your dropping both bombs on a tank as one tends to land either side of the tank, but its a pain in the ass if you just want to drop one bomb as you have to remember is it comming from the left or right wing.

Not to bad an idea actually ..... but non of the other jets have to worry about this.

Also its very slow to turn, not due to the rudder, its rudder is pretty nice and quite similer to the mig rudder but the planes roll time is extremly slow.
                    I should have switched teams and fought you while I was there...The fighter is stiff feeling I agree,I had no problems controlling it maybe its just fitting my flight style,but I did bomb a line of infantry and get 0 kills.....So I guess I need to look and see where these things are going,sounds interesting.

Ive got my 5 ata kills so Im now an a Euro ACE :laugh:

Comment

this fighter is stiff at doing rotations, but has excellent horizontal and vertical turn rate.

Comment

The euro fighter is a pile of crap..
                        Indeed it is... although I still managed to shoot down about a dozen Migs... The Migs seem to be able to fly a lot faster so it was easy to let them get some distance and keep a missile lock on them. Against an aggressive and skilled Mig pilot, you're probably toast, but if they're concentrating on bombing, then it's possible to have a duck shoot.
                        Didn't like the EF's tendency to pitch down (or not pull up.), I hit a couple of hangar roofs...
                        Also the maps aren't big enough for planes imho, but that's just personal preference.

Comment

Just tried the Quarry map and thought, 'oh whats this this feels a bit better' and it was the bomber!

I just came off auto swap team server and the differance is huge, I was still killing MIG's but only cos they were bad. It's rock hard to try and keep a steady aim.

I thought it was supposed to be state of the art fighter?

Comment

Actually after a little testing, Eurofighter is better than Mig in the most important department: turning

The eurofighter is definitely a very good Air to air jet, better than the Mig. Its just slower(not a big deal as it has lots of AB) and the bombs are on the far side of the wings so when you drop them, they start out wider, but if you drop them high enough, both will hit target as they slowly fall into place with eachother.

Advantages:
                            better turning = better dogfighter than Mig, F35, FA18 (not sure about J10)

disadvantages:
                            slower than other fighters, goes about same speed as the bombers in cruise
                            hard to hit ground targets

Overall I like it alot. It takes great skill to keep it under control especially going after ground targets, which is not its primary objective anyway.

I went 18-0 in one round already with it, you just have to get used to it. Cant wait to get home tonite and play it much more.

Its unstable for the better agility. It turns better than Migs, thats for sure.

Here is some info about why its so unstable and I think DICE did a great job of recreating that instability in the game, especially when going after ground targets:

"Eurofighter Typhoon has a foreplane/delta configuration which is, by nature, aerodynamically unstable.

The instability of the aircraft is derived from the position of a theoretical “pressure point” on the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. This is calculated from the contribution to lift from each of the aircraft components (the wings, the canards, fuselage etc). If the pressure point is in front of the centre of gravity on the longitudinal axis, the aircraft is aerodynamically unstable and it is impossible for a human to control it.

With the Eurofighter Typhoon, in subsonic flight the pressure point lies in front of the centre of gravity, therefore making the aircraft aerodynamically unstable, and is why Eurofighter Typhoon has such a complex Flight Control System – computers react quicker than a pilot.

When Eurofighter Typhoon crosses into supersonic flight, the pressure point moves behind the centre of gravity, giving a stable aircraft.

The advantages of an intentionally unstable design over that of a stable arrangement include greater agility – particularly at subsonic speeds - reduced drag, and an overall increase in lift (also enhancing STOL performance)."

Comment

As far as I hear, this Eurofighter may really be the Challenger 2... The MBT is also stiff and slow when it comes to flying and has a tendency to pitch down... I don't have EuroForces, so could someone please try out whether there are afterburners on the Challenger?

Comment

Working...
                              X