Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discounts for Dedicated Users (EA/DICE feedback?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discounts for Dedicated Users (EA/DICE feedback?)

So

Last night I was thinking, and I figured where better to run something up the 'ol flagpole but in here....

Seems to me that large gaming companies could benefit from showing some appreciation for customer loyalty and here is what I was thinking as it pertains to Battlefield 2

Some sort of % discount given to users who purchase and use programs/expansions/booster packs online based on something like HOURS played.

IE, % given off on future purchases for every 100 hours played...

Say 5% off for every 100 hours. So, figure you have 400 hours played in Battlefield 2.

That means you would get 20% off your next purchase of an expansion/booster.
    Now of course there would have to be a limit so the company wouldn’t be paying YOU for purchasing a game, say call it at 25% off would be a ceiling.

This certainly would me more happy/willing to purchase future titles/expansions (it would alleviate some of the disappointment we all felt with the Special Forces release)

Just a late night thought, any comments? Am I just being lame/crazy?

EA/DICE: any of you out there have some feedback on a program like this?

Tks in advance

-java

Re: Discounts for Dedicated Users (EA/DICE feedback?)

Would be nice...but too complicated. Plus why offer a discount when these dedicated users are their most profitable market. Its all about the dolla bills yall!!!!

Comment

I know what you mean by 'dedicated users', but I would be curious to see if there has been any market research into what % of repeat customers they are missing on...

as far as it being too difficult, I dont see that at all. We all have a EA Downloader already that is tied to an account to allow us to download Special Forces and Euro Force. I cant see why it would be any more difficult to tie in some lines of code that pull account info from a registered game account and add that into a database showing total hours (or some other way of discounting the constant player) and crediting that toward future purchases made online.

That part of the equation is quite easy as a matter of fact (and yes, I speak from experience, coming from client/server software production background).

What seems difficult to me is how to come up with a reasonable discount. AND YES: Why to do it in the first place....... again, late night thoughts, but it sure seemed to me...

well, look at it this way, this just came to me...

you get the players to want to play more to earn discounts...from that you can tie in advertising (IE...Banner advertising of some sort), so now the player is online MORE OFTEN for LONGER periods, sees advertising, purchases product = higher sales for company over all, and a inexpensive discount given to keep that customer 'hooked'

now of course, the key for us users is to take advantage of the discount without being completely suckered into a bunch of extranious purchases that we didnt need before in the first place (i call that the 'costco syndrome')

*smile*

-java

Comment

it problem won't happen.

However I do welcome a discount if you bought all the previous battlefield games, for example. (I did)

Comment

Any company doing something of the sort would be completely idiotic. First, there's no way to ensure players are actually playing throughout this time. It's fully possible that they could be 'idling' in game to get the discount. And yes, there are ways to evade that idle kick script.

Plus, if people are willing to pay for booster packs (which are really only $10, which is the cost to play most other online games for ONE month), why reduce the price of them?

~Salad

Comment

No, SF, I agree, I am having a hard time seeing why they would do it....again, late night thoughts but i thought i would run it up the totalbf2 flagpole just to see if anyone could help me thresh out how or why this would work.........

-java

Comment

It's a good idea, and I'm sure everyone would love to be rewarded in some way for playing this game for so long, but it just isn't practical for the game developers or publishers.

~Salad

Comment

This would also give an incentive for more teens to spend more time playing videogames rather than doing something productive, like living their life!

I see some folks with over 2000hrs of gametime...that's just sad.

Somewhat of a good idea though!

PEACE

Comment

yea, i am older, and i grew up with the Rocky Mountains as my playground....

i dont remember fat kids when i was a child. but these days, well lets just say we are raising the 'twinkie generation'

HOWEVER, in defense, I as a parent am responsible for regulating what my children do, and that includes being responsible for what they watch, play and participate in. This house does not and will not have problems with too much teevee time, its as simple as me turning it off and sending the rugrats out the back door

*smile*

-java

Comment

Working...
                  X