Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst center - question.

Hello ATi users!
    ...and other people reading this thread.

I hope that one of you can help me out.
    To start with, I want secure questions. No guessings or whatsoever.
    • When I installed Catalyst 5.11...

...which were a while ago. I noticed that the Catalyst center doesn't seem to do anything good except eating up RAM from my system.
    So what I did was to disable it through msconfig.
    I only disabled the Catalyst Center, and not the actuall drivers for the graphic card.
    I didn't notice any changes in system performence, so I thought "Huh, then I keep it this way".
    Well, life went on, nothing happend - and still nothing bad has happend today and I'm still using 5.11 drivers.
    I'm really thinking of upgrading to one of these omega drivers or just ordinary catalyst from ATi's website.

Code:
    My graphic card is an [COLOR="Green"]ATi RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/COLOR]
    So basiclly my questions are:
    • What does the Catalyst Center do?
    • Is there any way to disable it without doing what I did?
    • What is the best drivers for my card*? (*See above)

Re: Catalyst center - question.

Not sure what the CCC does except hog resources.

You don't have to install it at all. Go to the Driver Downloads section on the ATI site and scroll down to the "Low Speed" set. Download the driver only and install.

I used the 5.11s for a long time, but the 6.3s are supposed to resolve at least one ATI related issue with BF2. I installed these last night, but haven't tried BF2 with them yet. Omega drivers are pretty good and really allow you to tweak a lot more settings than the stock drivers do. They also let you set profiles for games to auto load specific settings.

If you are going to update the drivers make sure you follow ATI's "clean install" guidelines as it will reduce significantly the number of problems that you are likely to encounter.

Comment

Re: Catalyst center - question.

Originally posted by |GRB|Sarge
      Thanks Sarge.

Ok, I've installed the new catalyst drivers.
      It worked great, I'm going to try BF2 out later.

Thread can be closed.

Comment

Working...
      X