Questions for pilots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for pilots.

I have few questions for you aces out there. I found few "guides" on these and other forums but I stil have some unanswered questions.

1. Extremely tight turns.
    How the hell do you do those? I bank 90* and pull up and still get outturned by a plane even if I'm in a J10. Is there another secret to making really tight turns? Should you slow down or hit afterburner to make a tighter turn?

2. A2A lock.
    I was flying a jet on Daquing(sp?) Oilfields yestreday and every single time I would get behing the enemy jet and get a lock my missiles would just fly straight as if I fired without lock. I would wait for him to deploy flares, wait for another lock, fire my missiles and they would just go straight in the general direction my nose was pointing and woulkdn't do a slightest attempt to follow the target. It was like that for the whole round with this guy. I could lock and destroy their bomber but I couldn't touch the jet. WTF was that? Was it just a bug?

3. Landing.
    Could someone give me a general landing procedure.

Thanks

Re: Questions for pilots.

1. Use your rudder. You can turn much tighter this way. I dont usually go into a complete 90 degree bank, but more of a 75 degree with full rudder. Also, are you using a mouse or a joystick?

2. Not sure about this. Just make sure to get a clear lock tone before firing, and keep the lock for the entire duration. If the enemy leaves the circle on your HUD, the lock breaks. This doesnt mean the missile will stop tracking, really, but it will greatly increase the chance of it hitting, as well as prevent those accidental TKs from the missile veering off to the nearest heat source...which for some reason is always that friendly helicopter on the other side of the map.

3. Learn your stall speed. With most jets, just reduce speed until it gets close to stalling, then glide it in. It's more difficult with the J-35 since there is no real reverse thrust, so you'll have to take it even more carefully.

My tip though is, dont land unless you are heavily damaged. Every time I've landed, I've almost been immediately destroyed by an enemy jet or helo, or by teammates who want me dead so another jet will spawn for them to take.

Comment

About the lock, it appears to be the same for the AA. If you do not fire when the word lock appears, then it will not hit the target even though it makes the noise, that just means there is a heat source there and it is an enemy.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Re 2, I did have a lock on that guy, I had the work LOCK in my HUD and I was flying behind him. He wasn't even doing any evasive maneuvers so it wasn't hard. It's like he didn't know I'm there/didn't care 'cause he knew I'm not gonna hit him anyways. I'm not screaming hack or anything but it was definitely strange.

I'm using joystick BTW.

Comment

From what I have heard and tried, the trick is to reverse throttle, i.e., slow completely down as you bank and turn.
          2. A2A lock.
            Not sure as that has never happened to me.
          3. Landing.
            TigerRei already covered that. I'm always impressed whenever I see someone do it, I must admit.

Comment

Originally posted by [FM]Master_Chief
            I have few questions for you aces out there. I found few "guides" on these and other forums but I stil have some unanswered questions.
            Slowing down during the turn, then full throttle AND use short, rapid bursts of your afterburners.

2. A2A lock.
            I too have had the same problem... Nothing seems to work properly since patching BUT they always seem to get me within seconds

3. Landing.
            Regardless what anyone says..... I land my jet at fast speeds (Well, 400). As soon as your landing gear hits the ground, full reverse throttle.... Always works for

Comment

1. Slow down. You have to learn the balance between slowing enough to tighten up your turn, but not slowing so much that you lose so much momentum that you can't keep up the chase.

2. The missles are so F'ed up right now it's hardly worth trying to figure out what the hell they are doing sometimes.

3. Come in low and slow with your nose up a bit. Start dropping speed from a good distance out. If you start to feel yourself nosing down too much give a burst of afterburners. Keeping your nose up is critical.

Comment

Tight turns question-

Slowing down starts helping when you reduce your speed below "turn speed", which is below 900 Kts.

Also, remember, faster planes zoom past the slower planes in the turn, so you have to keep your distance at ALL times.

Comment

You still need to lead your targets with the AA missles. Fire ahead of the target.

Comment

#2 - I've seen this too even when there was nothing else for the missiles to track; they just went straight ahead even though there was a solid lock and the enemy was hardly turning. I sent all six missiles well spaced apart and only one hit, even though it was well after the other planes flares had dissipated.

Comment

Well now I'm confused. I've had people tell me to use afterburners to make a tighter turn and others to slow down. Which is it guys?

And what is the proper procedure? Do I bank first and then slow/use afterburner or slow/use afterburner and bank later?

Comment

Speed is important with jets, if you aren't carrying speed in the first place dont try and turn too tight as you loose speed and become more vunrable, this is the basic.

Comment

Working...
                        X