Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can artillery take out an APC?

Originally posted by Alm()nd J()y
    My ass, it happend to me twice in one round!
    same, just the other night. in a tank too, not an APC - which is more susceptible to arty. an indirect arty hit has finished me off in a damaged APC several times.

Comment

as expert commnader, i would expect to kill full health apc 50-75% of the time with awell timed artillery strike. i would not expect to kill a full health tank it is a waste of artillery

Comment

Originally posted by Banthur
        its rare because artillery doesnt 'seek' onto armor like it does onto infantry (stupidly)
        Artillery doesn´t seek out infantry, it just happens to be the case that infantry is a bit less ...armored than armor and thus gets caught by the blast/frag.
        There are some techniques that maximize your chances to survive artillery when infantry, especially when on buildings. The best tip is to lay down at on of the corners of the building, this way the surface area besides you which can be hit by artillery is minimized.
        I´ve been taken down by artillery quite a few times when in tanks/APCs with direct hits, once over the target area with a J-10 and once when gunning in a chopper that flew over our own artillery while it was carrying out a strike. Lesson: Yes, artillery projectiles are actual physical moving objects in this game, not just explosions that get spawned in the target area.

Comment

I don't bother using artillery on any armor. It either does a notch of damage or it kills it, which is rare for when I fire it, but if I'm in armor it's way too common.

Comment

arty can take out everything.
            My total playing time is not up to 200 hrs yet(only one account)
            Till this moment, arty(from both sides) hit and killed my tank, apc, and chopper. My jet also crashed into a 1.2UAV.

Comment

Artillery does not "seek" on to anything. I've bombed rooftops and people can FREQUENTLY survive it just by hiding behind even the most trivial of things. When you're on the ground and the first shell lands on your head, sorry to say, but you just got unlucky.

If a shell hits anything directly, it dies instantly, including tanks. If it doesn't hit directly, tanks/APCs barely get scratched. It's all luck.

As for the hit detection, hits are determined client-side, meaning your computer "guesses" where the shot's gonna hit. That's why you'll see people flinching from your shots even when you're lagged to hell. Just because it shows an impact though does not mean it actually hit. The yellow "X" indicator DOES mean you hit, because that's a server-sent indicator.

Comment

Meh its not that rare, its happened to me a lot arty killing me in my tank apc from full or near full health.

Comment

Yes artillery can take out APC's and tanks.

I was also on a Karkand server the other day and got taken out !3! times in a row by enemy artillery while I was in a full health tank. Either that commander was VERY lucky (as direct armour hits with artillery are rare) or he was hacking the artillery somehow

On a sidenote, has anyone ever seen artillery fly back up into the air??

On Dragon Valley I was dropping artillery onto the heads of a enemy squad at the petrol station, as I watched, right in front of my eyes I saw a artillery shell that was about to land on a enemies head turn 180 degrees and fly back into the sky!! It was like he had a invisible trampoline above his head or something

Comment

Only if it's a direct hit, otherwise no. I like it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by barracudaj
                      Artillery can take out any vehicle in this game.
                      correct!

Comment

Ive been killed plenty of times by artillery in an APC, but never in a tank

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtForm
                          On a sidenote, has anyone ever seen artillery fly back up into the air??
                          this happens to me all the time, mainly when artillery strikes a tree, it flies back up.

but i think the splash damage of artillery against tanks is too weak. unless its a direct hit it wont do any damage

Comment

i play commander quite often and i take out tanks apc all the time,just zoom right in on the map and drop it right on top works everytime...

Comment

Originally posted by Surge1975
                              i play commander quite often and i take out tanks apc all the time,just zoom right in on the map and drop it right on top works everytime...
                              No it doesn't

Comment

Arty can take out an apc with a well timed strike, ive even taken out tanks but like you say it has to be a direct hit! I love zoooming in and watching it rip though armour!

Comment

Working...
                                X