Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BF: A reflection on the past, synopsis of the present and speculation of the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF: A reflection on the past, synopsis of the present and speculation of the future

Let us forget for a moment what status, if any, I may have in this community. I'm compelled to write as a gamer, a person who has spent countless hours of countless weekends enjoying the Battlefield series in all its variations.

I have been touched by Battlefield since the demo of the map Tobruk back on June 19, 2002 (that's right, 4 years ago). At the time, I was spending some time playing Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault. I was, in all respects, a casual gamer and sat in front of my PC a couple times a week, at most. Then Battlefield 1942 came along -- and my life has changed ever since.

Thus, here I am, 4 years later, reflecting upon how my life has changed in so many ways -- financially, socially, morally and even physically. And yet, here I am, playing Battlefield 2 about 4 times a week and still getting the same kick I was getting when I first played the buggy little demo in 2002.

The Good Old Days
    I used to play with a clan called BHC. If anyone in this community was in the Bravery Honor Courage clan, in before and during 2002, you will know how organized and large that clan was. About 150 members strong, all ranked, organized and accounted for. We had sniper schools, recruitment training, drill sergeants, clan matches and, more importantly, tons of fun. When you joined the clan, you were organized with another group of potential recruits to go through a training exercise. You had to run through loops and turns, fire on targets in unison and stay in line. It was easy, but it was damn cool that they could organize something like those once every week to get more people involved.

Then, BF1942 came along and flipped our worlds upside down. The maps were huge, the graphics rocked, the battles seemed massive and the tactical limitations were next to none. So late tonight, while sobering up, I decided to install BF1942 and bring back some of those pleasent memories of late night goodness.

Ladies and gentlement, if you haven't done this, I highly recommend that you do. There it was, the music (da-da-dan d-d-dan da-da-dan d-d-dan), the fabulous load screens, the immersive maps, the sweet voice overs and a blast from the past.

At that time, I was reminded that graphics and snappy effects are the last thing that drew me to BF1942. It was the fact that the environment was perfectly tuned for the era and that it gave you a certain feeling that no other game could (and ever will) be able to give.

At this time I realized, BF1942 is a classic and even 4 years later, I still suggest snagging it from the bargain bin and giving it a run.

"BF2 ain't got nothin' BF1942"

The Present, In All Its Goodness -- Kinda
    Which brings us to today's Battlefield: A modern war shooter that blends the attractiveness BF1942 with the war machine of today -- kinda.

In my opinion, the thing about BF1942 that attracted such worldwide attention is that nothing like has ever been done before. In retrospect, many of the veteran gamers will know that the masses will move on pretty quickly to something new. Even I, the dedicated BF1942 gamer that I was, jumped ship as soon as BF:Vietnam was released.

DICE needed something new, something fresh, something that could explode onto the "scene" as Battlefield1942 has done. They even took Trauma Studios along for the ride. Franke Delise, who last I heard is now working with THQ (the guys behind Full Spectrum Warrior), had a vision that shaped the future for the Battlefield series in many ways. With these innovations and some critical thinking, the Battlefield Stat Ranking System was born.

Amongst all of the new features, such as a brand spankin' new engine, gameplay enhancements and a massive arsenal, Battlefield 2 brought with it a way to track player progression through years of game time for each individual player.

Some people look at the stat system as the end of the Battlefield series. Some are ready to move on to new things, like the Half Life's source engine, which brings with it loads innovative mods like Insurgency, Empires (previously developed for the BF engine), and more. Others are awaiting new releases, like Armed Assault (a preface to Operation Flashpoint 2), Quake Wars and even Medieval 2: Total War.

I, in contrast, believe that so many of the guys with whom I spent nights playing Battlefield1942 are leaving has little to do with Battlefield2's inconsistencies, but with the fact that this particular genre is getting out of style for those that have spent so many years playing it.

Despite the flaws in Battlefield 2, which are quite little compared some of the other big titles, such as Doom, Battlefield 2 has been a success all around.

There are thousands upon thousands of players online every day enjoying the variety of gameplay that Battlefield 2 provides and, despite some pessimistic attitudes by some community members, DICE has been actively working on new patches and gameplay enhancements and, over time, bringing Battlefield 2 into an almost flawless game. They have also been carefully listening to the community and (at timest regretfully) implementing fixes that the majority of the community had wanted which ended up negatively affecting overall gameplay.

The fact that gamers are strongly voicing their concerns, while still playing the game day and day out, only shows that there are certain aspects of the game that DICE simply cannot deliver on due to engine limitations, time constraints and the processing power of the todays average computer.

In short, a Battlefield that reflects the war machine of today is still before its time and will hopefully be revisited in the future.

What The Future Holds
    I am one of the few Battlefield veterans that still has hope for the stat system as a whole.

The stat system provides an accurate assessment of who plays what and how they play. I believe the stat system is more of a way for game developers like DICE to create accurate business models to convince game publishers like EA that certain things simply will not work, despite their "vast marketing experience".

I think that many community members will always be critical of a product when posting their opinions on a forum because such places are methods of ventilation from the frustrations of the everday "noob" or "smacktard".

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I believe that whatever DICE decides to do in the future, they will succeed.

When I come to the realisation that I have been playing Battlefield and its mods for 4 years straight without taking a breathe, I can't help but thinking...

They must have done something right.

--

And thus ends my inspirationally induced "essay". Much thanks if you read so far Goodnight.

Re: BF: A reflection on the past, synopsis of the present and speculation of the future

A blast from the past, Here. Where was blazin.uk? Who was he?

Comment

Re: BF: A reflection on the past, synopsis of the present and speculation of the future

WOOT! 1942 still draws breath! Nice emotional post man. BF 1942/V/2 are all indeed great games, and will still be great in the years to come.

Comment

Re: BF: A reflection on the past, synopsis of the present and speculation of the futu

Great post mate . Reachin for my BF42 disks , and DC / CTF !

Comment

Re: BF: A reflection on the past, synopsis of the present and speculation of the futu

Originally posted by bisley
          Great post mate . Reachin for my BF42 disks , and DC / CTF !
          amen to that

Comment

Yes, a very nice read indeed! I too get inspired to let my literary juices flow after sucking down a twelvepack! Oh the good ol days!

Comment

Long read, but defenitally worthwhile.
              I remember the good old days of 1942 where I could barely run it on all low and I thought it looked amazing, but just look at bf2 now.

Comment

Nicely put buddy, took me back to the good old days myself there, played and completed so many games now that i have lost count, and yes all the battlefields too, still got the 1942, but aint played it for a while though! Dice must be doing something right!

"Keep em Coming".

Comment

Niceone well writen post i was never a big 1942 fan but the mods for 1942 were awsome .

Anywy IMO DICE have done a good job on BF2 with the game play and the stats and they have tried to support the community. But one thing they did screw up on and that was the sheer number of bugs its such a shame that a great game like this is proberly going to be more remembered for all the bugs than actual game play.

Comment

I never stoped playing good ol' BF1942.The game just has something that BF2 does not.Since english is not my native language I can not find the right word ... but let say it's the spirit of the game.Don't get me wrong,I play BF2 and kind of like it,to some point.But it's somehow sterile...
                    Anyway thank god for a BF1942 Revival Cup International.It's good to see more than 50 clans on one tournament.

Comment

Very well written, a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by 18zulukiller
                        But one thing they did screw up on and that was the sheer number of bugs its such a shame that a great game like this is proberly going to be more remembered for all the bugs than actual game play.
                        This is why I think the game is before its time.

In BF1942, it was easy to making things work logically and in a straightforward manner because the combat was slower and restricted to a smaller territory. For that reason, the maps seemed so large and diverse (remember Battle of Britian?).

In Battlefield 2, they were hoping for 120 man servers, but that simply couldn't work out because the technology couldn't handle it. After that, all of the gamelay needed to be tweaked to "cage" make those uber weapons of today into a fair match for all. The result was an environment that didnt feel like thea battlefields of the near future.

Nearly every weapon does not act like its realistic counterpart.

This may have been the case in BF1942, but you didnt notice the maps were big enough to give you the feeling that you were really there.

Comment

Working...
                        X