Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should all mods have atleast 1 infantry-only map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should all mods have atleast 1 infantry-only map?

Here's a thread to support the infantry-only fans like myself Do you guys think mods should have atleast one infantry-only map?

Here are some things I'm expecting people to come at me with (as they have came before):

Battlefield is a land/sea/air series, go play CS
    Maybe so, however Battlefield also has larger maps than CS does and the gameplay seems on a much larger scale with large open terrains. You feel much more immersed with the environment when you play infantry in BF2.

It takes forever to get where you need be as infantry.
    This is true. But some people like this. Personally, I like making my way to the objective and keeping an eye for the enemy. It opens the door for all sorts of options because things are slower paced and you need to think before you move. Things like:

Ambushes
    You now have time to set up an ambush and also have the time to prepare for one.

Tactical Maneuvers
    If you're played with 1 or more friends, you can utilize tactical maneuvers (ie: you draw fire or lead them into a trap).

And much more. Because things are slower but you still have such a large amount of room to work with, there are alot of things that can be done.

Squad Leaders are a great addition here and good squad leaders will have the ability to mount a pretty strong assault.

I like armor and heavy vehicles.
    That's great, which is why polling for opinions on atleast one infantry-only map.

You could also help encourage the mod teams that vehicles should be to the right scale and should act appropriately.

If a tank can roll down a dense neighborhood and do what it does on Mashtuur City or Strike At Karkand, the entire military would be composed of M1A2 Abrams MBTs.

Infantry at a large disadvantage because the tanks are faster, more mobile, more powerful, easier to use, more protected (armor), and very difficult to take out without the right tools for the job. The infantry also cannot utilize the thing that makes infantry different -- their size. There are very few buildings to go in so hiding against 3 tanks racing around the map in circles is a lost cause.

----------------

So to close...

I only play on 16 player maps because there is always alot more room for a decent round. People play more carefully and it doesnt seem as mindless as when playing a 64 player map.

I also had the pleasure of playing an infantry-only 64 player map and it was an amazing thing. People moved together and supported one another and attacked in large masses... it was great.

Anyway if you dont get why I like infantry based maps so much by now you probably never will.. but still vote

Re: Should all mods have atleast 1 infantry-only map?

Well, if I had it my way this poll would be reversed to have only one or two maps that are air and armor. I know that allot like to hide in their tank or whore their jet, but infantry fights have the best action to skill ratio in the game. Somebody asked for an all woods map recently and I have been licking my lips waiting for something like that.

I would love to have a map that commander is not allowed(expecially uav) so we can have a sneaky stalk. It would allow for the element of surprise, something this game is highly lacking.

Comment

I wouldn't say infantry only. Add some transport vehicles in too. Anyway, infantry only maps are a nice change of pace, and I don't any reason not to have one map that's largely infantry based.

Comment

Yeah, a Humvee, buggy and jeep would be ok, I think. They are easily destroyed by other infantry, and can add a little tactical edge to an infantry encounter. I like playing assault (and I like using a tank, but hey, who doesn't?), and I'd like to see an all-infantry map. Some intense firefights in closequarters. Really makes a difference when you have cover and the other guy doesn't. :laugh:

Comment

Definetly. It would be much better if there where some maps with no armour, jets or helos. Some jeeps would be needed for transport and you wouldn't have to worry about getting APC spawn raped like on Karkand all the time. I'm not saying all maps should be like this but infantry map are a lot more balanced player to player.

Comment

in my opinion, the more maps the merrier. I dont care if they are infantry only or not. if it is a new offical map, hey something new to kill things on

Comment

Some mods can't have a infantry map.. so why should they be forced to have them?

Comment

Originally posted by 2000sDigitalBoy
                I wouldn't say infantry only. Add some transport vehicles in too. Anyway, infantry only maps are a nice change of pace, and I don't any reason not to have one map that's largely infantry based.
                Yes, agreed, transport vehicles are neccesary on large maps but not on a 16. But definatly NO armor, I would like to see some good shooting skills and firefights that last for awhile instead of some tank coming in to ruin the fun.

Comment

different strokes for different folks
                  forcing all mods to have infantry only is rather one sided

if you like infantry only, good for you, but not everyone does lie infantry only, Im not very good at firefights, so thats why I like to fly the BH around, and the occasional plane

Comment

It would be nice (being a groundpounder myself), but i dont think it should be a requirement.

Comment

Working...
                    X