Finally running BF:SF smoothly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally running BF:SF smoothly!

Please don't bother posting negative BS, just wanted to drop a line and see if this helps anyone else because it really helped me.

If you're like me and have a half decent system but only 1 gig of ram and have been trying to find that sweet configuration in the graphics settings that will balance looks and speed then try this out.

My specs:
    AMD XP 3200+
    geForce 6600gt overclocked
    1 gig of PC3200

Try these setting out if you have similar specs....

Everything on Medium
    Dynamic Lights: Off (This is key)
    Dynamic Shadows: Off (This is key)
    AA: 4x (Can't live without this now)
    Texture Filtering: Low
    Draw Distance: 100%

I've always had the two dynamic settings on low and I finally turned them off just to see, it made a drastic difference. The game still looks good and the only thing i notice is that the shadows are gone, which were somewhat annoying anyways. I don't even notice the Dynamic Lights turned off.

Anyways try it out, Special Forces runs smooth like water now and still looks great, I played for a few hours yesterday and for the first time I could fly the copters on Iron gator.

I know this isn't really new info but i was suprised at how much the dynamic settings even on low consumed resources.

My FPS is around 45 to 65 solid now. Where as it was about 25 to 35.

Re: Finally running BF:SF smoothly!

K, to start off I have Textures on high, everything else on medium, AA off and draw distance at 90, don't know why you say can't live without AA.

Anyway i've only played BF2 SF for like just over 4 hours, and I've had the game since it came out.

Comment

I just have dynamic stuff off as it's pointless DX9 stuff that my card probably can't handle and textures on high and everything on medium, draw distance at 100. Half Life 2 every settings is maxed, except I can only get bloom and not HDR.

Comment

what does dynamic shadows and lighting do in-game? i have a faster processor and more RAM than the OP but we have the same videocard (although mine's not overclocked).

my settings are:

geometry - high
        shadows - low
        dyn. shadows - low
        dyn. lighting - low
        everything else medium
        2xAA
        100% view distance scale

vanilla BF2, i get over 45 FPS consistently. very rarely will it drop down to high 20s. BF2: SF, i get over 45 FPS too although it goes down to the 20s more often AND sometimes, it will even go BELOW 20!

that's why i'm thinking about turning the dynamic stuff off...

Comment

I have everything at medium, dynamic shadows and lights are off and the AA is 4x. My computer is AMD 3000+ (939), 1gig of ram, nVidia 7800gt (overclocked) and fps is about 60-90.

Comment

will i be able to keep the setting like this for SF and diff settiings for VBF2

Comment

TweakGuides has a very good article about optimizing BF2. They talk specfically about the different video settings and whether there were visible (significant) differences between low, medium and high. Even though my system will pull very good fps in all high (1600 X 1200) there were times I'd get drops on large maps with max people playing. After changing my settings to match what they recommend on TweakGuides I never drop below 60 fps (but usually hang between (85-95) and it still looks great.

Comment

With Dynamic light OFF, do you still see muzzle flashes and such?

Comment

Originally posted by S0rsa
                  I have everything at medium, dynamic shadows and lights are off and the AA is 4x. My computer is AMD 3000+ (939), 1gig of ram, nVidia 7800gt (overclocked) and fps is about 60-90.
                  Why in the hell would you get a 7800GT and still keep your 3000+ processor and only have 1 gig of ram? For that price of that card you could have gotten a 6800GT and another gig of ram and increased that processor. Talk about your bottle necks.

Comment

Working...
                  X