Crash to desktop on map load: one possible solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash to desktop on map load: one possible solution

My gear: Intel P4 3.2Gb (not oc'd), 2GB of RAM (2 pairs of matched DIMMs for dual channelling), and an ATI x800 series card (not oc'd). Retail BF2, full 1.2 patch applied, punkbuster manually updated.

Delurking to make this post. Like Somerville and others my system has been crashing to desktop during the shader optimization process when I try to join a game. It usually fails around 62% (geometries), but it used to fail around the 14-15%. I don't know what changed. In any case, the problem started with patch 1.03, and accordingly I haven't been able to play since October '05.

I've tried every combination of reinstalling and patching within reason without success.

The following solution worked for me.

It is a memory problem (though not with the memory per se). Apparently, BF2 doesn't like dual channel memory architecture. It must be due to a change in the way the game addresses memory or something after the early patches.

I disabled dual channel mode. Apparently, some systems allow you to do this in BIOS, but if, like me, there is no option in your BIOS setup dealing with dual channel, you can achieve it by physically pulling your paired memory DIMMS and reinstalling them in sequence instead of in pairs.

So, if, like me, you have 2 pairs of 512MB sticks (each pair sold as a kit), you would have installed them as follows:

Stick X1 installed in bank A1, stick X2 installed in bank B1, stick Y1 installed in bank A2, stick Y2 installed in bank B2.

Pull them, and reinstall them as follows:

Stick X1 in bank A1, stick X2 in bank A2, stick Y1 in bank B1, stick Y2 in bank B2.

This "turns off" dual channel mode. When I did this, I was able to get through the map load process without crashing to desktop.

I discovered this tip at www.bf2lag.com (have your virus shield up if you go there, as the site tries to push adware/spyware to your system).

Now that I'm able to get through the map load process, I find that I'm still not able to join a game due to the stupid "unmodified content" error I am able to join games on non-'pure' servers (no computer icon). Many reruns of patch 1.2 later, I still haven't solved this issue. Still trying though

Re: Crash to desktop on map load: one possible solution

hey bro. i had the same problem but the i just went to the bios and disabled the HT.

Comment

What is HT?

Comment

Hyper-Threading if you have a p4 with it

Comment

Thanks. I'll try disabling HT to see if it solves my unmodified content problem.

btw, hyperthreading = pretend dual core.

Regarding my old problem (CTD on map load):

I have a friend who warned me not to use HT because it confuses code that isn't written to take advantage of it, such as 100% of all games, including BF2, and that turning it off will mitigate any issues that you're having with BF2.

I wasn't sure why. I had HT enabled all through the early days of BF2 through patch 1.02 with no issues, so I didn't see why it should make any difference now. Of course, I had dual channel enabled in the early days too, and that appears to make a difference now, so...

In an attempt to try something - anything - I disabled hyperthreading (retail patched to 1.2). Of course it made no difference. The problem persisted. And meanwhile, having turned it off, I was denying myself the performance benefit of hyperthreading for underlying Windows progs and services. In other words, HT was one of the big selling points of this processor. So any solution that involves shutting it off is like taking $250 of value and throwing it away. Screw that. Cure < problem.

That being said, I'll try it in the context of this unmodded content issue for sh*ts and giggles, on the very outside chance that it will help.

Comment

well. i have dual memory too. and the game runs fine with it. also i disabled the voip on the game and i lowered some settings. and all the problems seens to be gone. i read on google that bf2 doesnt like overclocking and dual memory. try it worked for me. but after you disable the HT do a fresh install of the game. delete the EA game folder on your program files and the folder on my documents.

these are my pc config.

P4 3.2ghz
            256 ATI 600x
            1 GB DDR2
            160 GB HD

Comment

Working...
            X