Computer causing hard drives to fail??????????????????? =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer causing hard drives to fail??????????????????? =(

Has anyone ever heard of something on a computer causing hard drives to fail? I had a Maxtor drive that was 5 months old fail last year. I replaced it with a WD caviar drive and I believe it is beginning to fail now. I just removed the WD drive and put another Maxtor in it that Dell gave me for free last year when my first one failed. I run my pc with the side off and 2 cooling fans on the hard drive so heat cant be the issue.

Anyway the reason I ask this is because I think that may have something to do with my probelms installing EA downloader, BF2 and Special Forces and the patches again.

Re: Computer causing hard drives to fail??????????????????? =(

Power supply? Thats my guess.

Comment

Bought a bettery back up voltage regulator tonight. Hope this helps

Comment

Are you running a good power supply? Like 500 watts?

Are you using defrag, scandisk and finding "Bad Sectors"? A healthy Hard drive should have 0 Bad sectors and a new one should last a good long time before failing.

All drives fail eventually. But I wonder if you are only running ONE drive with everything loaded onto it? Try getting additional drives and store your "Stuff" that you dont want to lose away from the Local "C" drive.

Do you turn off the machine at the end of the day using the windows shut down or just mash the power button? Some drives need time to park the heads before killing the power.

Do you install the drives in a 5.25" hard drive cooler that is equipped with cushioning to reduce outside viberation and noise?

Is your cooling adequate? Sometimes bad cooling will destruct drives especially if they happen to be touching each other with no space between for airflow.

Is your computer in a vibration environment such as feet kicking the case on the floor or perhaps knees and elbows banging it around? The hard drive's data head "Flys" on a cushion of air and any impact causes to literally crash and scar the platter below just like a DJ crushing records in a dance hall.

Assuming all things equal and common sense, then you might poll others and find out what drives they are using for gaming and get a good quality drives.

A battery backup with a voltage regulator is a very nice thing to have for a computer. My town is experiencing bad power with 130+ volts and fluctuating amps coming into the house. I use a smart battery for my machine, Have replaced the battery once in 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 69stang
          Has anyone ever heard of something on a computer causing hard drives to fail? I had a Maxtor drive that was 5 months old fail last year. I replaced it with a WD caviar drive and I believe it is beginning to fail now. I just removed the WD drive and put another Maxtor in it that Dell gave me for free last year when my first one failed. I run my pc with the side off and 2 cooling fans on the hard drive so heat cant be the issue.

Anyway the reason I ask this is because I think that may have something to do with my probelms installing EA downloader, BF2 and Special Forces and the patches again.
          Downloader doesn't work for me either. I guess once you format, you can kiss your $29 SF gone, because EA has insured you can never download it again.

Comment

i know some ppl who return their MAXTOR drives to store at least once per year.
            I never had a WD drive returned though.

I worked for a medical company who stored xray pictures on HDDs and we used WD all the way.

Comment

IT IS COMMONLY KNOWN that both Maxtor AND Dell Suck #$@#

Comment

Working...
              X