New Idea: Junior Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Idea: Junior Commander

What if BF2 made the squad leader with the most points during a game a "junior commander". This "junior commander" could have their own UAV, Arty, Supplies, and Scanner (although perhaps it takes them twice as long to refresh and use as a commander) to use for the benefit of their squad. If another squad gets more points during a round, the "junior commander" title automaically switches to them... the "junior commander" title is fluid not static. That way squads on the same team would be competing in a map for the most points to make their squad leader "junior commander." Clearly, this idea would favor full 6 man squads that play together to get points so they get this extra advantage of their own supply drops, UAV, Arty, and scanner.

I think this would encourage team play, full squads (no more eight 1 man squads), and good squad leadership.

Oooh... or a mod that enables this.

Just throwing out a thought for a Friday discussion.

Re: New Idea: Junior Commander

Would the in-game player model be a midget?

Comment

Originally posted by ||bfa||variable

Cute

Comment

It might be nice for a squad leader to have a backpack UAV that can be carried into the feild, but thats probably something for BF3.. lol

The UAV is already pretty cheap on a map like karklan, its basically a universal map hack, adding more of them to these smallish sized maps would create clutter.

Comment

No offense but that stuff is already annoying enough. There is no such thing as stealth in this game because you have a sat scan scanning everyone and a dumb uav flying over your head. Sure, you can shoot down the uav now...but if you look up and see it above you, the whole enemy team already knows where you are. I might be ok with maybe something like a mini scan, or mini uav, that is able to scan your general area, about the size of a uav scan. But it is more like a sat scan, so it disappears fast and isn't really helpful, only points out where the enemies are. I might be ok with something like that...but any more and...well it would be just too much. If scanning wasnt able to pick out targets that werent moving (like snipers) or units inside a building at the time of the scan, and the uav was the same way, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. But they do, so I would have to say no to this idea in general.

Comment

Cool, but can you imagine the idiots who would try to drop other squads' scores to get to be minicommander?

Comment

this idea is not very good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by extraecho
                Except the midget part.

Comment

Originally posted by extraecho
                  Well, there is potential behind the suggestion. The US currently fields a backpack sized UAV, like a model aircraft with a camera. A squad leader could very easily throw one of these up for a small area UAV with a long recharge, and only visible to the squad that launched it, and you might need three people in the squad or more to field one. This game could benefit from incentives to form cohesive squads, rather than eight one man mobile spawn points.

EDIT: Obviously, SLs should NOT have on call arty like the commander, but maybe if they had some form of designator (like the game was SUPPOSED to have) they could get friendly, manned aircraft to do precision strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by ||bfa||variable
                    TeeHee ! maybe at half time we cud have a Mini Commander throwin competition !

Comment

are you absoolutely f#@$ing nuts?
                      because thats JUST what this game needs - more arty.

if anything the time limit on the current artillery system needs to be doubled. between idiot TKing friendly commanders and the enemy im dodging artillery every 30 seconds. at least 2-3 times per map i spawn and am killed before i can take a single step by artillery. add in grenade-spamming PKM whores that can jump-throw a grenade halfway across the map and this isnt a squad-based tactical FPS anymore but rather a game of dodge the explosions.

id also like to see some form of penalty for TKing commanders. nothing drastic like -4 points per tk, that would be overkill and noone would want to be commander. but a fix could be incorporated for both the constant arty and TK-happy commanders by just increasiing the arty delay by 10 seconds for every TK'd friendly. something needs to be done. the other day a friendly commander TKd 8 of us while we were assaulting a flag and the @$$ didnt even say 'sorry'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavlyn
                        Well, there is potential behind the suggestion. The US currently fields a backpack sized UAV, like a model aircraft with a camera. A squad leader could very easily throw one of these up for a small area UAV with a long recharge, and only visible to the squad that launched it, and you might need three people in the squad or more to field one. This game could benefit from incentives to form cohesive squads, rather than eight one man mobile spawn points.
                        theres a reason modern armies still routinely get their asses kicked by unfunded, starving, untrained guerrillas with 50-60 year old weapons (AK, RPG-7) and homeade explosives. perhaps its because while theyre playing with model airplanes and all this electronic bullsh!t the other team is concentrating on killing them as quickly and effectively as possible.
                        i wish this would reflect more in the game. id gladly see the MEC side with purely low-tech brute weapons (i know this is like this in SF with the RPG instead of the ERYX, but in vanilla too) so there is more of a distinct 'flavor' to the different teams as opposed to just different weapon skins and at most a 0.1 min/max deviation difference.

Comment

And what happens when you have all these people leaving/joining squads rotating the SL so they can still spawn on the objective?

One idea would be to have the squad leaders able to see the full scan upon selection. one of the notifications to the squad leader could be "scan available" and then when SL goes into screen, they can watch the scan happen. An adaptation of the original idea - but i dont ever see it happening.

i would be happier if they got rid of commander, auv and, radar.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                            i would be happier if they got rid of commander, auv and, radar.
                            So would a lot of folks, even if they don't realize it.

The commander position is laaaame. I could go on for pages about why.

SImply, I would've much preferred DICE invest more time in beefing up the abilities and features of squad leaders and squads, and also in the communication tools between SLs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhearted
                              theres a reason modern armies still routinely get their asses kicked by unfunded, starving, untrained guerrillas with 50-60 year old weapons (AK, RPG-7) and homeade explosives. perhaps its because while theyre playing with model airplanes and all this electronic bullsh!t the other team is concentrating on killing them as quickly and effectively as possible.
                              i wish this would reflect more in the game. id gladly see the MEC side with purely low-tech brute weapons (i know this is like this in SF with the RPG instead of the ERYX, but in vanilla too) so there is more of a distinct 'flavor' to the different teams as opposed to just different weapon skins and at most a 0.1 min/max deviation difference.
                              The problem is balancing sides that are truly "Different". It's rare to see an RTS that does this well, much less a FPS. Now, differing commander powers would be cool...

USMC calls in an AC-130. China deploys Arty. MEC calls forth a horde of car bombs that race onto the map and charge the location, exploding at the first enemy encountered.

Comment

Working...
                              X