Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing

I get random freezing during multiplay. Sometimes I can go back to the desktop with the Task Manager, but most often it requires a hardware reset.
    I have only just bought Battlefield 2 so I have not played it prior to patch V1.2.

Looking through the forums I have found only one reference to freezing which actually read like it is a known problem since the beginning and is accepted. Considering that patch 1.21 has no reference to it and people don't seem to request a fix for freezing then it must be a rare occurance. I have mailed EA about a week ago with no reply.

Should I accept the fact that BF2 is going to continue freezing on me on every gaming session?

My system if makes any difference:
    AMD Athlon X2 4400+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GBs OCZ 4800 (4x512), Asus 7800GTX, Creative XFi Platinum, 74GBs Raptor, 320 Caviar, Logitech DiNovo Laser keyboard & mouse (MX1000), Windows XP Pro x64, DirectX 9c, NVidia Forceware drivers 81.98, Creative XFi latest drivers.
    Do I forget something?

Re: Freezing

Heya,

I havent really Frozed before while playing bf2 but ocassionaly i crash to the desktop like you noticed. It's quite rare that it happens and it hasn't done it to me while i was in a server. It wouldnt be your computer specs *looks at them compared to mine and crys*. All i can say is that maybe it will just stop or somethink.

Comment

Try settings the afinity to 0.

I've got no idea how to do it but, something to do with the Task Manager.

Comment

I have the same problem happens very rarly when im on the internet. What we are getting are application hangs. i Dont have answer as to how to fix it . i did a fresh reinstall but nothing seem to help. If you come across what does this please let me know. nothing drives me more nuts thatn scoring over a hundered points then.....freeze...!!!!....

Comment

It happens constantly with my son's PC.

Actually, I think I'll post it up in the support forum.

Comment

I had a similar problem, with BF crashing to desktop. At first I thought it was the patch, but in the end it turned out to be the CPU over heating! This in turn drive the graphics card temp up, which caused that to fail as well! I would download motherboard monitor and ati tool (dunno the equivalent for Nvidia users) - you can use these to monitor your system temps. As a point of reference, my Athlon XP 3200 idles at around 40-42 degrees C and maxes out at 48. Before I sorted out my temp problems (by repplying Arctic Silver 5 and cleaning out the dust from the heat sink) were about 55 idle and god-only-knows-what max.

best of luck

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

For the record, nothing is overclocked. I did run BF2 with slight overclocking at the beginning but after the freezes I reverted everything to normal. Temperature has never been a problem as I have the massive Thermalright SP-120 sink on the CPU which takes so much off the temperature that its 120 fan almost doesn't spin. Temps are around 40s C usually.

No other applications or programs have exhibited this behavior, even ones that are far more demanding than BF2.

The only think I can think of is that it either doesn't like my dual core CPU, or the x64 version of Windows XP. Even if the problem is another, I just wish there was a response to its fix. I mourn the 50 euros I gave for the game, but in the end its only a game.

Comment

hmmm ive heard only bad things about the 64 bit version of xp - is there any reason you are running it? Could you revert back to the 32 bit version? Or maybe even dual boot with the 32 bit version?

Comment

I haven't had any trouble with x64. It was easy to find drivers for all my hardware and almost all applications run just fine, even old games from years ago. I built this computer a couple months ago and its purpose is graphic work, not games. I only got BF2 to relax a bit once in a while so its not a big loss. I am just annoyed that it only says "not tested with x64" only when you try to install it.
                  The problem could be anything and seeing the amount of bugs even I have discovered in this very short time that I had this game, I am not expecting any fix or solution. Sloppy programming and bad testing.

Comment

Yeah I would point to the 64 bit windows as a possible problem as well. Have you tried totally reinstalling BF2?

Comment

Unfortunately I have. After all it was a very fresh install a week ago when I first got it: started downloading the 1.2 patch, went to the store, returned, installed BF2 from the disc while the patch finished downloading and then immediately installed the patch.

Can someone with Windows XP Pro x64 offer their experiences?

Comment

Lol I Get That Problem 2 When I Stand In Snow I Freeze Lol J K

Comment

You have probably done this allready but since no one has mentioned it yet I'll say it anyway.

Firewall off...completely
                          Antivirus off...completely
                          Mannually update punkbuster
                          Check your paging file(virtual memory) and set it to 1.5 X amount of ram
                          Update bios,ect,ect.

These are just for starters and you have probably done all these but if you havn't thay could be the solution your looking for.

Comment

I'd point to XP 64. It could be incompatable memory or drivers etc. I've even heard that some of the X-fis have problems with it.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                            X