Version 1.2 update = Nasty Lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 1.2 update = Nasty Lag

My apologies in advance for raising an issue that may have been beaten to death here already, but the search isn't working for me (forum search for "lag" results in no hits??).

Anyway, after a six week hiatus I updated my BF2 to v1.2 and got back online ready to start shootin' again only to suffer unacceptable lag regardless of what server I joined. What's the deal? BF2 is unplayable for me now. I've got a decent system. Any fixes? I'm hating this.

Thanks.

-- Dasharatha

Playing BF2 1.2 at 1600x1200x32@85Hz
    Intel Pentium 4 640 HT 3.20 GHz
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)
    256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X850 XT PE
    Catalyst 5.9 drivers for Windows XP
    DirectX 9.0c
    ViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT Monitor
    Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
    Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 Speakers
    Logitech MX 518 Optical Mouse USB
    Saitek Gamers Keyboard USB
    Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro joystick USB
    Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub

Re: Version 1.2 update = Nasty Lag

Yea im having wicked lag to, hopefully 1.21 will fix this

Comment

i got two suggestions,

1st - there are new omega drivers out, catalyst 6.2 or somethin like that, so you should probly get those.

2nd - maybe run your res lower, I run mine at 1184 x 864 or whatever that setting is, but you might wanna run it at 1260 x 1024

-just suggestions-

Comment

It is a problem with the ATI Cards, I have it to. They are aware of the issue and are going to have it fixed in 1.21. I am hoping there is a solution until then, if I find it somewhere I will update this post.

If anyone knows what is going on, could you post a fix?

Comment

Although they optimized the game there have been other exploits and fixes that have since been found. v1.21 promised to be out soon should take care of these issues, possibly including the drastic hit in FPS most people have seen.

By the way it isn't just ATI cards Slothman, I run both Nvidia and ATI high end cards and I saw a significant drop in FPS on both cards.

Comment

really guys? ive noticed a small increase in performance when using shaders from the demo...i

Comment

On the update about 1.21 they said they were working on the fix for ATI cards, so that is where I got the info. I am not suprised that other cards are seeing a decrease in performance, but I wonder if it compares to what is happening to most with ATI cards.

Anyway, this is what I did to make the game playable:

-1024x768 (75Hz) resolution
              -All settings on medium

I tested it on several maps (Karkand, Wake, Mashtuur) and it helped a great deal. I went to high population servers and didnt have much of a problem on Wake and Mashtuur. I went to a 64 player Karkand map and did experience lag but considering there was about 40 of us in one area and each team hit the area with an air strike plus vehicles on both side blasting away the lag I experienced was forgivable. It was playable though and I didnt have any problems that I was experiencing before.

This may be a suitable temporary band-aid solution for many until 1.21 comes out. It isn't ideal but it is tolerable (for me at least). Give it a shot.

EDIT: I did try upgrading my catalyst drivers but it was a damned nightmare. If you try this download and run the uninstall utility ATI provides. I just got this card after a few years of problem after problem with nVIDIA and I am suprised it is so complicated to update drivers. You have to uninstall your old drivers either manually or with thast program, and then you have to run regedit to remove any entriesd there, plus erase your temp folder. At the end of it all I still got errors. After 4 attempts and more than an hour I just reverted my system to yesterday and decided to wait it out and hope 1.21 resolves the situation. I am seriously considering going back to nVIDIA next time I upgrade because such complexity for a driver change is unreasonable and completely unnecessary.

Anyone who upgraded to 6.2 catalyst drivers have any increase in performance?

Anyway, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BrigGen Slothman
                It is a problem with the ATI Cards, I have it to. They are aware of the issue and are going to have it fixed in 1.21. I am hoping there is a solution until then, if I find it somewhere I will update this post.

If anyone knows what is going on, could you post a fix?
                Heh, I've got the problem too - on an nVidia GeForce 6600! BF2 1.2 - the patch famous for causing more user distress than joy =P

Comment

good god it takes EA this long for it to concentrate on the ATI peeps

Comment

Originally posted by FLIPINOMAD
                    good god it takes EA this long for it to concentrate on the ATI peeps
                    maybe the nvidia guys are threatening the dice programmers like :

'IF YOU MAKE ATI CARDS RUN BETTER THAN NVIDIA CARDS I'LL KICK YOUR ASS !!!'

but my card works just fine ...only problem i have are the flickering graphics... but that's not my cards fault so i'm fine with it i guess...

Comment

I'd recommend if you are getting lag with a patch update that you try the following:

#1. Delete your cache (my documents\battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache)
                      #2. If that didn't work, delete your whole my documents\battlefield 2 directory
                      #3. If that didn't work, uninstall BF2, install from scratch, install the full v1.2 patch

Comment

Thanks for the responses everybody. I don't usually update my video drivers unless there's an overwhelming reason to do so, so I may wait this out until EA/DICE comes out with a "fix."

FYI, if you're going to update your VID drivers, be sure to uninstall your old VID drivers first. Knock on wood, updating has not been an issue for me.

I'm annoyed and disappointed with all this, but it seems to be par for the course when pushing the technological envelope as far as BF2 has done.

-- Dasharatha

Playing (but not having much success) BF2 1.2 at 1600x1200x32@85Hz

Intel Pentium 4 640 HT 3.20 GHz
                        Windows XP Pro SP2
                        1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)
                        256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X850 XT PE
                        Catalyst 5.9 drivers for Windows XP
                        DirectX 9.0c
                        ViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT Monitor
                        Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
                        Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 Speakers
                        Logitech MX 518 Optical Mouse USB
                        Saitek Gamers Keyboard USB
                        Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro joystick USB

Comment

delete everything in the cache folder?

Comment

You want to delete everything in that cache folder only. There are plently of "logocache" folders associated with bf2 and plenty of other chache folders on your computer but if you do a search you will find this exact folder. Don't go around deleting all cache folders hehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
                              I'd recommend if you are getting lag with a patch update that you try the following:

#2. If that didn't work, delete your whole my documents\battlefield 2 directory
                              #3. If that didn't work, uninstall BF2, install from scratch, install the full v1.2 patch
                              Done, Done, Done. And I've tried just about everything else besides a reformat and still, nothing gets better. The only thing that I am worried about is that not only my FPS is terrible, but my ping is over 300 too. Is anyone else experience a horrible ping and FPS problems after the patch?

Comment

Working...
                              X