DDR2 is not compatable with AMD???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR2 is not compatable with AMD???

I have been researching DDR2 and it looks like it is not compatible with AMD. This is extremly frustrating because when I buy a new rig I want all the newest technology. I also want AMD so its impossible for me to enjoy the benefits of DDR2.

UGGGGGGGH

I looked on newegg and none on the AMD mobo's they sell are DDR2 compatable.

sorry if i spelled compatable wrong multiple times.

Re: DDR2 is not compatable with AMD???

DDR 2 isnt anything to write home about over Vanilla DDR , Just some higher clock speeds and if you want ddr2 go buy some crap Intel , AMD Is the way to go (gaming of course) because it is much cooler and is faster in games.

1gb DDR + AMD 64 35 - 37 + 68/66/x850/x800

Depending on what you can afford teh above.

Comment

The current AMD64 architecture incooperates an internal memory controller that is onboard the processor. It gives AMD a speed advantage over Intel, but the side effect is that the CPU is forever mated to one type of memory.

June 6th 2006 AMD is launching their DDR2 processors, so if you can wait, DDR2 will be avaliable then. Otherwise there isnt at present a large disadvantage to using DDR1. It provides for lower latency and is fairly cheap. But over time DDR2 will provide speed advantages with increased clockspeed, and the ability to use higher density ram modules. DDR2 will be the memory that ushers in 4GB+ of system memory and the first real need for 64 bit processors.

In the mean time, a s939 system will perform well and be nearly as fast or faster than a DDR2 Athlon system. Dont look for significant speed improvements until 2007 from AMD. This june they are launching DDR2 but it wont offer many advantages over what we have now.

Comment

this was said by the guy above me, Im just sorta restating it.

Current AMD doesnt support it, it doesnt mean you computer wont be ULTIMATE top of the line, it will be. Soon enough, in time for vista, AMD will launch a new socket processer and motherboards called "AM2", it is 940 pin and WILL support ddr2 ram. if you can wait, not only will you get a processer with 5% better performance using the AM2 socket, virtuilization technology, but also ddr2 support.

Comment

Working...
        X