Fix for no buildings(static meshes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for no buildings(static meshes)

Hello, was just over at eagames.co.uk and stumbled upon a fix for 8500, 9200 radeon and hopefully other cards that dont support bf2 patch 1.2users that worked for me

Originally posted by sprint114a
    Hi, first post on these forums...i just tested and wrote a procedure that might allow 9200 series run the game without massive lag and invisible buildings. (i posted this on the totalbf2 forums and planetbattlefield forums already)

if you have any questions please email me at conscriptvirus@gmail.com

I rewrote the procedure in steps
    [This is meant for users who are experiencing the "invisible building problem"]
    ok this time im pretty sure about this solution:
    The problem: Game doesnt like rendering in 1.4 shaders anymore and the 9200 series only supports up to 1.4 shaders...

so here's what i did:
    Goal: Use optimized shaders from previous versions of Bf2 that worked with the 9200 or other 1.4 pixel shader video cards. (copy and paste the shader files from older versions that worked and replace the new ones)
    1) Download and install the Battlefield 2 demo. (You can use previous versions of Battlefield 2. I just find using the demo a lot easier and more organized.

2) Run the demo and set your video settings / other options to your liking.

3) Exit out of the demo and go to
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\cache and delete everything in there. NOTE: THere probably isnt anything in there since you just installed teh game/havent played...just double check

4) Go back into the demo and join a server and let the game optimize your shaders. If the game runs fine (ie to your liking) then continue to step 5. If not, repeat steps 2-4).

5) Afterwards, exit out of the game and go to
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache
    And delete everything in there. (this is not the demo folder)

6) Run the actual game and make sure the video settings / other options are exactly the same as the one as you had in the demo.

7) Join a server and you should see the game optimizing shaders. When you start playing..the buildings are going to be invisible / messed up and you will get massive lag. This is normal. Exit out of the game now.

8) Go into the demo folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\cache and you shall see a folder with a really long name. Go inside the folder and you should see about 55 files. Select ALL of the files and copy. (crtl+c).

9) Now go into your BF2 directory:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache and go inside the folder with the really long name. DELETE EVERYTHING IN THERe (leave none alive).

10) Now paste the files you had from the demo cache folder into this folder. Now run the game and hopefully you shouldn’t see a “optimizing shaders for best performance” when loading a server… Good luck and have fun

NOTE: I do not accept any responsibility for destruction (there should be none btw)
    NOTE: I don’t have an ati 9200 card, but I have looked into this serious problem with my 5200 and the problem with the 9200 is that it doesn’t support 2.0 shaders, and when I force 1.4 shaders on my 5200, I get the same invisible building problem.
    NOTE: If this is confusing...please ask questions
    MAYJOR props to spring114a for finding out a solution for us older vid card users!!

Re: Fix for no buildings(static meshes)

there was already a thread here
    http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57804

Comment

thats odd, i tried a search before i posted the thread:hmm:

Comment

Search isn't all that great on this site (search just in titles is fine though) so probably not your fault

Comment

I can confirm that If you follow the above, then you BF2 game that worked fine before the latest patch, will again work as normal.

I am using an old 9200 and after using the above method, my game no longer has the 'invisable buildings or mad laggy screens' .

It never fails to amaze me how when developers screw things up, you just log onto a forum and somebody will eventually find a fix.

Now, if only you could sort out my 'possest' sky + system, as sky dont seem to be capable .....................................

Comment

maybe someone can help me with this. Ive tried to follow the guide, but my mods/bf2 file doesn't have a cahe file in it. Anyone know why? It has it in the demo folder, just not the real game folder. Ive tried reinstalling and everything. any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
            X