Vsync...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vsync...?

Is there a control within BF2 to enable Vsync, or do I have to force it on via my graphics card control panel..?

R<

Re: Vsync...?

No control within BF2 AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by ptegan
      No control within BF2 AFAIK.
      which option is Vsync whitin bf2

Comment

Hello..

If you have a nVIDIA Card you can force Vsync and some other extra stuff that you normal control panel want give..

Use this to gain extra options..

However regarding Vsync i had it on for a while and was only getting low fps finnaly worked it out that if i turned Vsync off they went through the roof.

Hope it helps.

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
        Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.80GHz
        x2 BFG GeForce 7800GTX Sli o\c
        Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
        1GHz OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400\667MHz Gold Dual Channel
        Western Digital 36.7 GB Raptor 10,000RPM
        WinXP Pro Sp2

Comment

Originally posted by nurbs
          Hello..

If you have a nVIDIA Card you can force Vsync and some other extra stuff that you normal control panel want give..

Use this to gain extra options..

However regarding Vsync i had it on for a while and was only getting low fps finnaly worked it out that if i turned Vsync off they went through the roof.

Hope it helps.

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
          Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.80GHz
          x2 BFG GeForce 7800GTX Sli o\c
          Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
          1GHz OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400\667MHz Gold Dual Channel
          Western Digital 36.7 GB Raptor 10,000RPM
          WinXP Pro Sp2

I can explain why that happened. If your computer cant maintain the fps to EXACTLY what your monitors refresh rate is at all times, it will drop to HALF your monitors refresh rate when any drop happens. Instead of dropping just a few fps, you will drop WAY down when vsynch is on. You have no doubt heard of TRIPLE BUFFERING being spoke of before, it is used with Vsynch to enable your computer to maintain its fps at the monitors refresh rate. It is more used on older games were you get such high FPS that it causes "tearing" or ripples on the screen. Enabling Vsynch can smooth these games out but on a newer game were the fps varies so much it isnt recommended. Windows XP default refresh rate is 60hz, so any fps over 60 will give you tearing. i am also referring to mainly CRTs as i havent messed with LCDs much concerning this. This is also the big reason CRTs are better for gaming, CRTs have higher refreshrates compared to LCDs. I would suggest you learn what your monitors max refresh rates are and force the refresh rate to that. I dont have time to explain how to do it all but look around, its really easy. This will allow you to enjoy smoother gameplay without tearing and it really does make a big difference. Windows XP low refresh rate is also what causes you to get a headache due to eye strain.

Comment

how do i turn of vsynch if have 850 xt, and ati tray tools?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by baroque
                how do i turn of vsynch if have 850 xt, and ati tray tools?
                Right-click on ATI tray tools -> Direct3D -> Wait for Vertial Synch .

Comment

How about a Geforce 6800 gt with a amd athlon 3200+ processor.
                  1 gig ram.
                  How do I turn it off on this card.

Also can someone please explain what the AA settings 2x 4x 8x options are in the nividia menu

Right now mine are set at application controlled should I change that?

Also there is one for anisopheric filtering that one is also set to application controlled.

Should that one be set to something else

Comment

Gunny Highway I'll be a real good recruit if you will spend a couple of minutes educating me on this.

Thanks

Its the post above this one about aa the 2x 4x and 8x settings vs the application controlled

Also the vsync issue

Comment

i use VS, i dont notice my FPS going to 30 whenever it isnt at 60, but its possible. exactly how does TB work? and if it helps keep higher FPS, why doesnt it just automatically turn on when vsync is on lol?

Comment

Originally posted by baroque

Hey baroque.

If you don't have anything helpful to add.

How about you take your spam somewhere else

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
                          i use VS, i dont notice my FPS going to 30 whenever it isnt at 60, but its possible. exactly how does TB work? and if it helps keep higher FPS, why doesnt it just automatically turn on when vsync is on lol?
                          Because Direct3D doesn't support Triple Buffering natively or isn't implemented. OpenGL does.

You can read my explaination on TB in another thread here:

You can get around it and use TB in Direct3D if you use DirectX Tweaker, thread by BloodUK:

Comment

Originally posted by whoosh
                            Gunny Highway I'll be a real good recruit if you will spend a couple of minutes educating me on this.

Thanks

Its the post above this one about aa the 2x 4x and 8x settings vs the application controlled

Also the vsync issue
                            Application Controlled or Application Preference in AA/AF settings means that the game decides the levels of AA and AF.
                            I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that Nvidia cards are limited to 4x if you select it in the game. If you select it in ATI or Nvidia control panels, you can get above 6x for ATI and above 4x for Nvidia.
                            I think EA/Dice recommends using Application Controlled, and not setting it outside the game. If you really want to get above and have high AA, which is very resource hungry usually, the set it in the control panels instead of in the game.

In my experience the best practice is to use Application Controlled in most games. If you need to get high AA then often the best option is to set resolution high and leave the AA low, instead of using high AA and low resolution.

You can take a look the The Simple Antialiasing and Anisotropic Guide at tweakguides.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
                              Because Direct3D doesn't support Triple Buffering natively or isn't implemented. OpenGL does.

You can read my explaination on TB in another thread here:

You can get around it and use TB in Direct3D if you use DirectX Tweaker, thread by BloodUK:
                              http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48694
                              according tho that thread they are all now gettin kicked by PB when using DirectX Tweaker.....

suxx

Comment

Working...
                              X