Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does an individual's high ping affect others on the server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does an individual's high ping affect others on the server?

Wanting to know cos a few of the players tried to kick vote me off the server cos i'm having a ping of 200-250.

Re: does an individual's high ping affect others on the server?

Originally posted by silverdust1925
    Wanting to know cos a few of the players tried to kick vote me off the server cos i'm having a ping of 200-250.
    Beacuse it laggs everyone eles.

Comment

no its doesn't.

Afterall if your lagging then your actually using less of the servers bandwidth. This is a very common gaming myth that your ping affects other players ping.

What is true however is that if your lagging then its harder for aother players to shoot you because of the packet loss etc, so thats a legitimate reason to kick you because of your ping.

Comment

A high ping does NOT effect other players ping time, a total myth that has come around for several reasons.

IF the game you're playing uses ping compensation (timestamped packets) then players who have high pings might use fractionally more CPU time on the server, but this will ONLY effect other players if the server is setup badly, for example if the server has barely any spare cpu cycles left. That is a server setup problem however.

Depending on what game engine a higher ping might mean your position in the map changes more erratically, making you harder to hit, some engines compensate for this by artificially smoothing movement.

Most admins kick high pingers because the effects of ping compensation seem unfair - although they're really not. It seems like sometimes you're shot around corners or through large objects, but this is not what is happening, the ping compensation is fair to the lagger because it allows him to aim at the person it just updates late in the server, the gunfights are still fair, despite what some people think. Its just a lack of understanding of how it works.

I don't know if BF2 supports ping compensation, I know you have to lead targets with your gun when they're sprinting at a distance, but I dont know if thats a feature or just lack of ping compensation.

But no matter the circumstance, one player lagging does NOT make other players lag, if anyone experiences something that feels like this, its probably a badly setup server, and thats a server problem and numerous other things that cause extra load (such as lots of people in the same area, or other clients connecting) will cause the same problem.

Comment

Working...
        X