Skinning: Basic Wood 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinning: Basic Wood 2!

NOTE* THIS TUTORIAL IS CREATED FOR TOTALBF2 ONLY AND A FEW OF MY OTHER SITES OUTSIDE OF THE BATTLEFIELD COMMUNITY.

This is yet another wood tutorial. You will notice the unrealistic zigzags. This is because ithis one will have a purpose of placing it on the wooden parts of guns. Even though this is how the tutorial finished product looks, I encourage you to mess with settings and come up with your own variations.

An example of how the same exact wood above might be used to make a gun butt (No, that is not an unwrap, I just drawn lines to simulate this. After that, I dodged it up pretty good).

Things you need:
    PhotoShop

Tutorial:
    1) Make a new image: 1024x1024 and transparent background. Again, this is so we can do the shrink down technique so you get a more crisp finished texture later on.
    2) Now pick 2 brownish yellows as your base colours (one being darker than the other). I chose BFB88B as my foreground, and 8B8666 as my background.
    3) Do Filter->Render Clouds just once.
    4) Now the shear thing again. Do a random job to get the grain effects like the below example:

5) Go up to Filter->Noise->Add Noise. Add 10 noise with guassian and monochromatic selected.
    6) Then go up to Filter->Blur->Motion Blur. Add 15 Motion Blur at a 0 degree angle.
    7) After that, the noise again. Filter->Noise->Add Noise. Same settings as before, but just 5 Noise this time.
    8) It is time to make the grains appear like they are going horizontal. Go up to Edit->Transform->Scale. Drag the bottom upwards until you get the top height as 50%. Look below as an example:

9) Now duplicate that layer.
    10) After that, drag that wood area from the duplicated layer down so it covers the top and bottom with wood.
    11) Merge both layers together.
    12) With photoshop, everytime you shrink or scale an image, it leaves partial transparent borders. In order to get rid of this, you need to Duplicate and Merge Down everything twice.
    13) Go to Image->Image Size. And set the image Size to 512px by 512px. Once more, the reason for doing this is to get a sharp and nice wood texture.
    14) Like stated before, photoshop likes to mess with the borders. So repeat the same duplication and merge process as #12.
    15) Click on Filter->Stylize->Wind. Set the settings as Wind and from Left. Press okay.
    16) Go up to Filter->Sharpen->Sharpen to sharpen your image. You should get something like this as of yet:

17) I don't like those colors as of now. So I am going to alter them a bit. Go up to Image->Adjustments->Brightness/Contrast. I set -50 Brightness, and +25 Contrast.
    18) Finally, go to Image->Adjustments->Hue/Saturation. All I did was set just -18 for my hue. This set it a nice brown-red color; perfect for weapons and such. The finished product:

Thanks,
    tibmaker

Re: Skinning: Basic Wood 2!

Hey that is VERY good looking wood you have going on there do you think you can do a nice metal one next?

Comment

That is amazing as to what you can mimic with photoshop! But I'm curious with so many texture pictures on the net why not just use a real picture?? This comes from my cad program.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Dog-BOM-
        That is amazing as to what you can mimic with photoshop! But I'm curious with so many texture pictures on the net why not just use a real picture?? This comes from my cad program.
        That looks like flooring :P

Comment

Because you will not have to worry about Copyrights, Look Professional, and be Stylish at the same time by doing it from scratch in PhotoShop :P

Comment

And you get the bragging rights

Greatwork mate, fantastic tutorials.

Tibmaker.. hmm.. that nick rings a bell somewhere..
            ..Derelict Studios, by any chance?

Comment

Yes :P

But I really never got assimulated into their system that well. I feel bad about that, but I rather be here in TotalBF2! >: )

Comment

hehe.. know what you mean

Nice to see you around here, mate.. makes the world smaller
                Looking forward to what you'll bring up next here

Comment

Working...
                X